U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 28,861 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time thread poster.

My boyfriend has ADHD and takes medication for it, but he hasn't had insurance since he graduated from college last year. He and his current doctor had worked out something where the doctor would give him a pretty big number of pills, so my boyfriend wouldn't have to come into the office so often to get more of his medicine. But for some reason, apparently the doctor is no longer willing to do this, and is making my boyfriend go in for an appointment in order to get more medication.

The only problem is, the doctor's office doesn't have any appointments until next month, and my boyfriend only has about a week's worth of pills left. So my question is this: is there a particular place my boyfriend can go here in SA to get a regular supply of his medication without having to check in with his doctor every month? My boyfriend has been on the same dosage for a few years now, and doesn't really see the point in visiting the doctor monthly when he has no issues with the medication and has no desire to change the dosage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,477,213 times
CentroMed Ascot
123 Ascot
San Antonio, TX 78224
Map

Family Resource Center (Behavioral Health)
appt. line: 210-927-1816

Centro Med has many locations but this is the one for mental health services. The staff also help you in finding you meds that are affordable but work out for you too.

I've been a patient myself and Dr. Stenger is a good doc. Not sure about the other staff.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 28,861 times
Thanks for the quick reply, skeet! We'll be sure to check it out.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM

6,187 posts, read 8,658,597 times
He's probably asking for an appointment because it's a regulated drug. I have to check in with my doctor every year for my seizure medicine, but otherwise things are good without insurance.

Check with the manufacturer's website as well once you get the prescription. As I am unemployed I had to decide where to cut costs recently and this was going to be a place to cut costs, but the manufacturer of my medication has a patient assistance program where they check income and all that jazz and give me free medicine. Perhaps his does that as well. But, I'm pretty sure he'll need a prescription before hand. Like I said before, it's precautionary just to check up on things to renew prescriptions every once in a while.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,477,213 times
Forgot to add that Dr. Stenger is good about seeing your previous doc's notes and just doing a 3 month follow up kind of thing. I was frustrated by another doc and went to Centro Med instead. I have health insurance at work now but I still go because it was tough finding someone who I liked!
The doctor may be wanting to do more frequent visit to make more money from the office visits or because your bf has been on the drug for a few years, the doctor is monitoring him for symptoms that his meds have worn off (there's a word for this that escapes me) or its both things.
The staff can hook you up with manufacturer coupons and/or the discounted prescriptions offered at Walgreens, Wal Mart or HEB.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM

790 posts, read 3,622,204 times
^^^ I agree Dr. Stenger at CentroMed is good about just rubber stamping your existing prescription, but from what I saw he is sorely lacking in therapuetical skills. I was pretty turned off by him and would certainly not want to see him on any regular basis. Also, as an FYI, to get an Rx for any mental health medication from CentroMed, you first have to make an appointment with the psychologist or LCSW. They will do an initial assessment, then you'll need to make a second appointment to see the psychiatrist who can actually prescribe medication for you. It can take 2-3 weeks to get an initial appointment so call fast. Also, they encourage you to set follow-up appointments with the LCSW/counselor but it's not required.

If you tell Dr. Stenger you want a 60-day or 90-day Rx, you have to specify exactly how it is to be dispensed on the script or else most pharmacies will only fill 30-days at a time. He told me the Rx he wrote was supposed to be for 90 days all at once, but because of how he wrote it HEB would only dispense 45 days. They did call him and he fixed it over the phone, but I had to make a second trip - PITA.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 02-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio