U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM

37 posts, read 115,312 times

Advertisements

I went to UM/lived in Miami for 8 years. It is much hotter here in the summer (degrees). People here complain about the humidity...compared to Miami, it is rarely noticeable to me. Very few bad hair days here. The only thing I miss (so much) is the ocean. We built a pool last summer and that makes the hot summers way more bearable.
Be aware, the winter here gets pretty cold. Nothing like up north, but way colder than Miami.
Hope you enjoy it here. It is a very friendly, relaxed city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,798,966 times
Last summer was brutally hot. 2008... I don't remember it being that bad but it was still enough to prevent any work outdoors between about 10 and 5.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM

796 posts, read 1,616,992 times
So...the summers in Texas aren't that different (temperature-wise) from what I am used to here...minus some humidity, which is good!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,607,389 times
The summers here are long and hot- I think sometime back on the boards someone used the word "inferno", and that sounded funny but accurate to me. To me, if you are in the shade, it can be tolerable- but without it, its pretty mean. In summer its like being under a heat lamp the minute you step out of the shade. I moved here from Va., which has terrible humidity, and IMO it does not get miserably humid here too often or for too long. When it does, those days are ugly, and they stand out. It does not rain much here- or at least it hasn't the last 3-4 years we have been here. The trade off for the long hot summers to me is lower cost of living, mild winters, and really great people.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,948,226 times
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.....and that's what is happening in this thread.

2009 was....H O T.

Never forget....

When your grandchildren are sitting on your lap...they will ask you about the "Summer of 2009". You will tell them how cattle keeled over like swatted flies. You will talk about how cranking up the A/C was barely enough to keep SALT from melting. You will talk about how you cooked an entire rack of ribs using heat from the sidewalk during July...you will remember that it was so hot that Dick Cheney waterboarded himself.

I'm still cooling off. I just need about 1-2 more months of cold and then I'll be happy with 50ish weather.

Sorry!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,941,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.....and that's what is happening in this thread.

2009 was....H O T.

Never forget....

When your grandchildren are sitting on your lap...they will ask you about the "Summer of 2009". You will tell them how cattle keeled over like swatted flies. You will talk about how cranking up the A/C was barely enough to keep SALT from melting. You will talk about how you cooked an entire rack of ribs using heat from the sidewalk during July...you will remember that it was so hot that Dick Cheney waterboarded himself.

I'm still cooling off. I just need about 1-2 more months of cold and then I'll be happy with 50ish weather.

Sorry!
I'm with you. I am not a fan of REAL winter, but I am less of a fan of 50-odd days of 100+ temps (and the rest of the summer being 95+). I'm enjoying the heck out of this winter and am praying that spring doesn't show up until around Fiesta, and that summer holds off 'til...you know...summer!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,948,226 times
Yea, SOME people in this thread need to move to the Sahara Desert

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,941,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Yea, SOME people in this thread need to move to the Sahara Desert
My aerobics instructor keeps talking about how horrible the winter is. I just have to wonder if she's completely forgotten how horrible last summer was!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM

226 posts, read 668,278 times
Such "state" would be called San Diego. 75 degrees and sunny in the winter. 75 degrees and sunny in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell21 View Post
People who live in frigid climates long for the heat...but the heat can get oppressive and feel never ending after you've had it for a while...I'm wondering which state has the best of both?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM

98 posts, read 101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
Such "state" would be called San Diego. 75 degrees and sunny in the winter. 75 degrees and sunny in the summer.
Not lately. Today was the first sunny 75 degrees in quite a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or