Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,622 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of making a trip to South Padre this summer, I wanted to get suggestions on places that some of you have stayed at. There are a lot of nice looking places on line-but that doesnt mean that is how it looks when you get there! Also some suggestions for entertainment- we will have our three kids with us. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Inverness has been completely remodeled and is very nice. We have been going there for over 20 years. I highly recommend it.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
With kids, I wouldn't dare go during spring break..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,622 times
We are looking at going in late Aug

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM

That's a good time to go. It's real mellow, not nearly as busy. I recommend Rovan's for breakfast tacos while you are down there. We usually don't eat out much there, we go over to the dock at Port Isabel and buy a messload of shrimp and just munch on that. My favorite restaurant, The Tiki, has been closed for years and I doubt it will ever be back. Blackbeards has some giant chicken fried steaks. If you are looking for a cool place to take your SO for a drink, there is a little beach bar called Wanna Wanna that has nice frozen Pina Coladas. There is also a COB (but you're probably not interested in that since you will be taking children... but it's nice if you're into that).

I could go on about all the places, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
OK, and I've even been to one and had to google COB.

COB Chrome Over Brass (snare drums)
COB Collocated Operating Base
COB Continent Ocean Boundary
COB Clothing Optional Beach
COB City of Brass (game)
COB Clean on Board (shipping)
COB Circle of Bosses
COB Clear-Over-Base (2-component car paints)
COB Change of Basis (linear algebra, changing vectors from one basis to another)
COB Commencement of Business
COB City of Bridgetown (Barbados)
COB Cranky Old Bastard
COB Current on Board

Just a partial list but it's on here.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM

LOL, yeah I always change vectors from one basis to another when I go down to S. Padre.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
We've only stayed at hotels when we went to So. Padre, but there are a lot of nice places that are right on the beach. We stayed at a Homewood Suites (I think that's the name) and it had beach access through a gate and walk way. With three kids, I'd opt for a hotel with suites or one of the vacation rentals. By all means, eat at Blackbeards! They have the best fried fish/shrimp/etc!!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that Travelodge isn't too bad. I have stayed there on non time-share trips and it's got a boardwalk to the beach, too.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 17,623 times
Staying at S. Padre really depends on your budget....you could stay in a condo right on the beach, but that will usually cost big $$$. You could rent a condo on one of the feeder streets on the beach side, which is less expensive. There are some pretty decent condos on those streets, too. But, it can get very crowded/loud/busy. Or, if you like a more quiet atmosphere, you could rent a condo on the bay side, which has gorgeous views of the sunset. We've done them all and have also stayed in hotels. It just really depends on your preferences. Last Fourth of July we rented a townhouse on the bayside and it was fabulous.

Dinner-wise, you HAVE to go to Sea Ranch. One of the better restaurants on the island. There's a new restaurant that opened that is on the bay side of the island that has watersports...I think it's called Parrot Eyes (pronounced paradise). They have water bumper boats I think, and I for sure saw see-doos. I didn't see the ages of your kids, so that all depends on how old they are. You've always got the beach and mini-golf for outings. There is also a sea-turtle rescue center that you can visit which can be fun for the kids.

Again, I can tell you all the things that we like to do when we're at the beach- for my husband, it's strictly fishing, for me I like the beach and the pool- but whether or not it interests you is another story. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio