U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,182,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blonde View Post
Great points wCat. When my husband retired from the military in early '05 my daughter was just 12 and I was 42. My daughter always attended public schools and almost none of her local friends are military.

My husband may have retired but we aren't old. Our daughter will start driver's ed this fall and I've given 2 close friends baby showers in the last 2 1/2 years.
I know what you mean when you tell people my husband is retired they think you are married to a 60 year old !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 PM

380 posts, read 1,165,086 times
I believe the military helps deter crime and the other problems that come with
larger cities with no military presence. Anyone else?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,182,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
No not really

Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 AM

3,823 posts, read 13,339,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I wouldn't use the term "deter;" however, military members would contribute less to crimes committed as they would also have to answer to the military justice system. That said, their kids do not have to answer to the same military justice system. This does not imply that military kids are bad.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 AM

173 posts, read 555,213 times
Do officers and enlisted on active duty mingle much out in the civilian world or do they tend to stay in their own circles? I wonder because it seems like in our neighborhood I have met far more enlisted than officer military personnel. Is it a payscale thing or is it more like a social class situation where similar ranks are just more comfortable living near their "own" kind?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 AM

77 posts, read 69,431 times
As the wife of an an AF officer and the mom of an enlisted Marine, I have a unique "take" on the situation. Generally, living on base you are separated. Although, I have seen both ends of the spectrum there, too. When we lived on base at the Air Force Academy, housing was totally separate... the enlisted side even had their own elementary. Then, we were stationed in Oklahoma, you had field grade officers on the same street as junior enlisted.
That being said, we raised our kids to be respectful of all ranks and they made friends with kids of enlisted personnel. Now that we live in a regular subdivision, many of our neighbors are officers and many are enlisted. We bought off-base on purpose this time-- so we could become part of a greater community. Trust me, military folks love to talk about other things... not just "shop talk". We love to tell you about our travels and experiences. But we also love to talk to people who actually have a "hometown" and roots. We have been here for seven months and are still trying to connect. You kind of learn not to get too emotionally attached, because you will leave at some point. As this is our retirement spot, I have to remind myself that it's different this time.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM

486 posts, read 1,017,276 times
I will chime in on this one too having an interesting perspective, I married hubby when he was enlisted and a Crew Chief and we were based than in Kansas. Unfortuantely I was just kind of tossed into the military so to speak even though both his brothers are Army and my husband is Air Force. I didnt really get to know anyone on base as my husband moved off base before I even got moved up there with him, we got married while I was still in college because he was deploying.

So far Randolph is our second base, unless you count me being at Tinker for a brief bit while he was in Officers Training in Montgomery, AL at Maxwell, AFB lol. We are again offbase mostly because of choice actually because he wanted to be close enough if he gets called in he could go in but not close enough that a senior officer could just walk up and knock on his door during the night He likes to separate work and home basically, we are within 5 miles of our base and usually try to not be farther than 10-15. I like being off base because I get to make friends with neighbors that arent military. Not to say at all that I dont run into military people all over and I make friends very easily. I can talk someones ear off about just about anything, as anyone can tell by this message alone I try whenever I find out about a new spouse meeting to go it to help out new spouses etc.

We are a long ways from retiring at the moment 16 years to be exact as hubby is in it for career hes in nav training at Randolph at the moment so we actually wont be here for more than another year or so. But we will probably retire either Oklahoma or Texas perhaps as its close to family for us. But in the end at this long post if anyone made it this far. I do like having the military bases as well as the rest of the atmosphere of San Antonio. I have felt welcomed quite well here as a newcomer and a military wife.

AFWife1029
Crystal

Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blonde View Post
I wouldn't consider Stone Oak brand new. There are some new subdivisions there but there are plenty of subdivisions there that are at least 7-10 years old.

I find it funny when people talk about SA being so military. My husband served his last 4 1/2 years in the Army at Ft. Sam Houston before he retired in '05 and I found it to be the least military environment I have ever experienced. When he got off work it was like he wasn't even in the military. Then when 9/11 hit they were told not to wear their there uniforms in public unless they were on official business because they might be a target of a terrorist. So even going out to dinner after after work became an ordeal as he needed to change into civies first. It was actually quite isolating.

So from the other side of the fence, when you see someone else in the military at a neighborhood bbq you kind of jump at the chance to talk to somebody who might understand. The city is so spread out it's hard to have group support systems like the smaller posts do. They don't have the organized social structures here, at least in the areas where my husband worked.

But as far as making friends, military wives are always open to making friends. I don't see why you can't make friends with someone just because you might be moving in a few years. None of my best friends live here but that doesn't matter. Also none of my best friends are military.
Hello Blonde,
I have a question for you since you have lived in san antonio my husband is in the army and we will be moving to Fort Sam san antonio and want to either rent or buy a home off post. We have two teenagers and we want the best school district and country setting do you know ant good areas where I should be looking please help! Joe joe

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

409 posts, read 1,423,893 times
I hope I am not speaking out of turn here because we are not military and this is a military thread but -- since moving to SA and seeing all of the military personnel around town I am so aware of their presence. I ate lunch one day at Chipotle at 151 and 410 and there were so many men and women in uniform. It armed my heart so much! I told my husband after returning home that I was almost too choked up to eat! I am not from a military background or town so seeing them makes me appreciate them so much! I often interupt them to simply say, "thank you!"

Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 PM

432 posts, read 789,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDana View Post
I hope I am not speaking out of turn here because we are not military and this is a military thread but -- since moving to SA and seeing all of the military personnel around town I am so aware of their presence. I ate lunch one day at Chipotle at 151 and 410 and there were so many men and women in uniform. It armed my heart so much! I told my husband after returning home that I was almost too choked up to eat! I am not from a military background or town so seeing them makes me appreciate them so much! I often interupt them to simply say, "thank you!"
Yeah 151/410 area is one of the better places to eat for us Lackland folks. Ull always see alot of us in that area. Thanks for your kinds words about the military. Im so use to it, but i guess it might be a shocker for someone whos not use to being around the military. Ull get use to in time . Don't be afraid to thank em, kinda makes your day when someone does. We all joined for different reasons. But the main reason for most was cause we love this country, and wanted to give something back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or