Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM

45 posts, read 123,046 times

Advertisements

Okay..I need some honest answers regarding this area. If you don't feel comfortable writing it for everyone to read, please DM me.

The home we are looking at is in the Boulders at Canyon Spring. I like this area because the lots are a little bigger and despite our children going to the Comal school district...they seem to be rated well? When I looked up those schools on Greatschools.org they were 9s. What makes Reagan and Johnson so much better...again honesty would help here.

As we looked at homes in other areas I found the capping very frustrating. Since we are currently in Maryland...I am looking for some honest answers regarding this area.

Is crime a big issue in the Canyon Springs area? I know crime can happen anywhere, but some areas seemed to have more issues with this than others.

BTW, I know traffic is an issue out there. However, my concern is more about crime and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,489 times
Crime is a not issue in my honest opinion. The distance to the middle and high school / time spent on the bus would be an issue.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Crime is a not issue in my honest opinion. The distance to the middle and high school / time spent on the bus would be an issue.
I second this. Even if you work around the traffic issue (which you obviously have) you're right on the edge of the Comal school district (which is a very good school district...it's up there with NEISD and NISD) so the kids will spend lots of time traveling.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,502 times
Default Canyon Springs area schools & crime

We live in the Links @ Canyon Springs and I don't think crime is an issue at all. We have one teen who goes to Reagan HS and another at Bush MS. The Boulders is just north of us, so you would be in Comal ISD-which is still a very good district. Traffic is an issue for certain, but the benefits of being outside the city for tax purposes and the area in general make it worth it. We recently bought some acreage in the Comal ISD that we may build on by the time our younger one is in HS and we are ok with either Reagan or Smithson Valley when the time comes.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 AM

796 posts, read 3,048,579 times
I am in the next neighborhood down from you, the Bluffs @ CS. As far as crime, there has been some break ins, but that is everywhere. Our neighborhood is 1 out of 2 that are not gated in CS. Knock on wood, we haven't had anything happen to us, but our neighbors have and I know of some in Lakeside. I heard authorities have recently caught some kids, but would not release names. My truck is so trashed from the girls leaving things in it, they may look in it and say "No way!" LOL I love the area and the deer we get in the front yard. If you are a walker, runner or cyclist, you will like it because there are plenty here that get out in the mornings or evenings.

As far as distance to the schools, I have 2 daughters in Timberwood ES, one in Spring Branch and one in Smithson Valley. I admit, when I first made the drive to SBMS and SVHS, I thought this was crap. Now, it doesn't seem bad. I can get to the middle school in 10 min and the high school in 15. It may be a little further than a NEISD school, but traffic is not an issue going out there. My girls ride the bus to and from school unless there is cheer practice, games, ROTC, etc. Elementary school hours are 7:45-2:45. The bus picks them up at 6:45. That seems early, but they like getting to school early and I am always ready to go for a run as soon as they get on the bus. If there are days we feel like sleeping in, then we do and I drive them. In the afternoon, the girls are dropped off and in the house by 3. I have tried parent pick up once, and their bus had already been by before I could get home. So there is not much travel time for them. MS and HS hours are 8:30-3:55 and the bus picks up around 7:30 am and in the afternoon, they are in the house by 4:25. So they are not "living" on the bus in my opinion. I love all the schools and the their teachers. Middle school is only 1 story, which I thought was weird, but everyone knows each other. All grades interact well with each other, in our last middle school, each grade pretty much kept to their own. The high school is going through a big expansion and just recently added their own pool for the swim team. Comal ISD spring break is the 4th week in March, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing. Bad because everyone else usually is out the 3rd week so if you have other family with kids, you can't plan a spring break together, or if you are a teacher in a different school district, you don't have the same holidays. The good part is that you don't have the crowds if you do go somewhere because everyone else is back in school, and the hotel, condo prices are not as high because of it, also. I hear from my older 2 daughters that there are drugs in school, but again, that is everywhere.

As far as traffic, I laugh at the comments about bad traffic. It is not bad, but I lived in the Austin area where it is worse. I agree, it is way worse than what it used to be 10-15 yrs ago, but it is getting bad everywhere in SA, not just our area. There are so many different routes you can take to get to our neighborhood, so if you learn which one to take, and when, it's all good. If you happen to get stuck on 281 headed home, at least it's moving even though it's slow. LOL Traffic is usually better after you pass Stone Oak Pkwy. You have options of turning on Evans, Stone Oak, or Overlook Pkwy from 281 to get home. Ususally for afternoon rush hour, it's faster to skip Evans and take Overlook Pkwy.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 PM

45 posts, read 123,046 times
THANK YOU so much for all your helpful information. This is the kind of information I needed to make a long distance difficult decision.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM

55 posts, read 132,893 times
I wouldn't trust on anyone's opinion since he/she might just be lucky, has bias, or not paying attention. I believe in statistic numbers. The following website shows what crime, when, where happened in your area. Numbers don't lie. Try 3 days instead of 30 days, some areas don't display properly if there're too many crime incidents to display.
CrimeReports | The National Crime Map
www.crimereports.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio