U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,171,817 times

Advertisements

I live in a gated community. We chose it for two reasons:

We found a house we could afford.

We liked it.

Has nothing to do with status, for me anyway.

Bonuses we feel we have with the gates are:

Lower incidents of crime
Lower incidents of solicitation (which isn't allowed in our neighborhood anyway)
Because we are a small community, we are familiar with people/cars and many residents know who should be in here and who shouldn't. It's fairly tight-knit, but I don't think that has anything to do with the gates necessarily!

Frankly, I like it...if I can't have my 5-10 acres in the country, then I'm going to find the nicest place I can afford in the area in which I need to be. I don't understand why that would be considered by anyone to be elitist or snobby, and I don't understand the sort of off-putting judgment regarding gated neighborhood residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
HOAs enforce deed restrictions. If you're comfortable with the rules in your deed restrictions, you have nothing to fear from an HOA.

If you don't agree with the rules in your deed restrictions, you shouldn't be buying that home in the first place.
Well put. Read the document and learn before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuftr View Post
Nice, I'd prefer a manned gated community. Do you know of any manned gated apartment complexes in the area? The apartment finders don't go into that much detail.
I haven't seen any. For what it's worth apartments with a gate out front seem pretty common nation-wide. I've never seen one with a person out front. You'd probably be looking to rent someone's condo I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Frankly, I like it...if I can't have my 5-10 acres in the country, then I'm going to find the nicest place I can afford in the area in which I need to be. I don't understand why that would be considered by anyone to be elitist or snobby, and I don't understand the sort of off-putting judgment regarding gated neighborhood residents.
It's because jealousy is a stinky cologne.

I'd say for most of us where I am it's because the house in the neighborhood with a fence out front was a better deal than the one that didn't have one. No big conspiracy or motives behind it - sometimes it's the best deal and sometimes it's not. Although now that I think about it, I do enjoy the lack of door to door solicitors that the in-laws have.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,635 times
I am looking for neighborhoods or just houses for rent that have no HOA and are not within the city limits. If anyone knows of or runs across anything please give me a shout. I am looking to move back to san antonio with my family. it is a must to live outside city limits and no HOA as we have an FFL and its one of thee rules. Thank You in advance for your help.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM

246 posts, read 358,937 times
said i would never live in a gated community ( but you do whatever your wife tells you). love it now. no trash on the street when they have brush pickup. no cars parked in the yard. landscape maintained. no house for sale signs. streets are perfect. i could go on but it is worth it. security calls you if you forgot to close your garage door.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM

852 posts, read 924,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everytime I see a gated neighborhood, I wonder who paid for the streets and sidewalks inside the gated area.
If the whole city paid for it, the whole city should be able to use those streets and sidewalks.
The sidewalks and streets in gated communities are maintained by the homeowners Who live there. At least that's how it works in my subdivision. The developers built them but homeowners maintain them. That's why we pay the dues we do. That and maintaining the gates, pools, playgrounds, etc

Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM

246 posts, read 358,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
The sidewalks and streets in gated communities are maintained by the homeowners Who live there. At least that's how it works in my subdivision. The developers built them but homeowners maintain them. That's why we pay the dues we do. That and maintaining the gates, pools, playgrounds, etc
Ditto. I thought is was funny when they said they were going to resurface two of the main streets here. They looked like there were already perfect compared to our old neighborhood. they did it in about two days. would have taken city of SA months to complete.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 AM

7,628 posts, read 14,335,272 times
Live in a gated community as well and LOVE it. REALLY cuts down on the traffic of those trying to get to or from a certain location and cutting thru your neighborhood makes it "faster". Not to mention, we have a community "collectiveness" that has allowed us to have put out bids for ONE garbage collection to pick up garbage on the same day and REALLY cut down on the 4 day a week garbage collection that use to occur. That plus NO school bus activity (we are a 55+ with no childern under 18 yrs of age allowed to live here) makes for a VERY quiet environment that we enjoy. Common area upkeep and resort HOA fees VERY reasonable for what we receive access to and VERY well run!

To each their own, but I LOVE having a quiet, hill country environment without "street noise constantly" with all the benefits of being minutes away from everything we need.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM

4,146 posts, read 4,700,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbound View Post
I am new to San Antonio and am perplexed as to why almost every community is gated, including apartment complexes. Is the crime rate super high all over the place here? Or, is it to present an image of status? I do not mean to offend anyone by asking this question. If it is because of the crime rate then it appears no area in Bexar county has a low or an "average" crime rate because these gated communities are everywhere you look. Gates must mean HOA fees or extra expenses passed on to residents and I'm guessing also a potential delay every time someone drives out of their neighborhood. What a drag. I thought Texans don't like regulations, especially when it comes to property they own, so why all the homeowners associations? I never personally experienced the need for myself and my neighbors to be regulated by rules once I was able to buy in solid middle-class neighborhoods in other cities. I also see middle-class neighborhoods here that have new houses built literally 10 feet apart, no privacy or land. And really expensive houses and less pricey ones built next to impoverished neighborhoods/areas with dogs running around all over the place and piles of trash in every yard. My questions are: What's up with all the gates? Does anyone know where a house can be bought for under $250K north of I-1604, close to east or west of I-10, without a homeowners association and gates ... with at least a quarter acre so neighbors aren't looking into each other's windows every day? In other words, in a regular neighborhood like you can find all around the U.S.? Can't leave NW San Antonio so I'm hoping someone can tell me about some of the neighborhoods in the Leon Springs area. Don't want to live in a rural area like Grey Forest. If the gates are about image, the image projected to me is "high crime area" not "upscale area" ... that's just coming from this outsider's perspective. Checked out Boerne, tiny pockets of OK neighborhoods but appears there's a lot of "near-poverty" there, all over, yet the cost of living is ridiculously high for some strange reason. Yeah, the small 2-block or so downtown Main Street strip is cute but the cost of housing, utilities, etc. is pretty high; it doesn't make any sense because the rest of the town off Main Street appears like patchy "neighborhoods" of struggling rural working people and the town is far away from decent shopping amenities, etc. Fair Oaks Ranch is really nice but very expensive. I am guessing the property tax and HOA fee is very high there. Imagine the total monthly mortgage payment for a house over $200K or $225K. And it's hard to find a house for less than $225K. Noted one townhouse complex there but its one vacant rental was going for $1,300 I think. That's rent, not a mortgage. Thought San Antonio was supposed to have a relatively low cost of living?! High property taxes suk. I know, no state income tax but that means a large tax burden is chiefly put on homeowners because revenue has to come from somewhere. The tax burden is not bad if you want to always rent and never buy. Appreciate advice/answers/help from anyone, thank you!
This is one of the first things I noticed when I first moved to Texas. Gates are everywhere and it has nothing to do with being an "upscale area." They do, however, make it harder for people to break in. San Antonio has a very high crime rate. You are right that high HOA fees and property taxes make higher rents. Most neighborhoods built after 1990 will have gates, though. My friend owns an older home in Alamo Heights, and does not have a gate. He has had several break ins. Go figure. Safety is never guaranteed, but a gate is at least an extra effort for a thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio