U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I was going to go over there and check that place out. Never been. Also debating about Natural Bridge Caverns -- would be something different for a birthday party, but worry many kids won't come because of the drive.

Thanks for the suggestions...Young Chefs Academy is also on the list. Just worry if that will be enough "activity" for those rambunctious 6-year-old boys. You know -- the ones who make me thank my lucky stars I have girls (And yes, I'll pay my dues when their teenagers, I know)

Here's a side question...at what age do parents start dropping their kids off at birthday parties and not staying for the whole thing??
at my 7 year olds party at Mini Town several people dropped their kiddos off and came back... but more stayed than left...

I would think at a 6yr old party you would have more parents stay than leave... just from my experience...

You could always do the good 'ol Mc Donalds party... they kids LOVE the play place and it really is reasonable in price... they provide the invites, the goodie bags, the cake, the candles, a small gift for the bday child, the food, the set up and clean up, everything... I think I paid about $75 when our middle child turned 6 and this was for up to 15kids maybe???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
McDonalds sounds pretty reasonable and easy to pull off IMO. Im sure there are a few nice McDonalds with better playplaces in that area too. Something I learned from experience is bigger is not always better. The most simplistic parties have always turned out to be the best.

My son is 6 and at his last bday party all of the parents stuck around....I have taken my son to bday parties where I dont know the parents and I definitely stay there the whole time. It gives me the opportunity to get to know them better.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

188 posts, read 489,165 times
We went to a birthday party at Dynamoze on Saturday and my nearly 3 year old had a blast. It's at 1604 and Brook Hollow. It might be better for a little younger crowd, but they do have some fun bouncers, foosball tables, and an air hockey table. They also have party rooms for the food and seem to take care of alot of the "dirty" work.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM

93 posts, read 169,744 times
We are having my little girl's 1st birthday at McAllister park in about a month and a half. We're having a few other kids that are a little older, so the wife figured that would be the easiest thing to do.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM

796 posts, read 2,757,776 times
Since you are in Stone Oak, you are not very far from Emerald Rainbow Family Fun Center. http://www.emerald-rainbow.com/ It's off of Hwy 46, just past Spring Branch MS. It's really easy to get to and most likely you won't even deal with any traffic. It has a lot of inflatables, private party rooms, games, rockwall climbing, a sitting area with sofas and chairs for the adults to watch tv, a place to set up your laptop, etc. I have not personally had a party there, but my youngest daughter has been there a few times for her friend's party. It always looked like the kids were having fun.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

221 posts, read 500,387 times
I love Minitown we also had my daughters one year birthday there and all the kids and parents loved it very different and unique!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
I know you wanted to stay near SO... but I did want to throw a shout out to Mini Town... we had my daughters 7yr old bday there last year and the kids LOVED it!!! --- I thought the price was pretty reasonable as well...

Also, Santikos Movies theaters have a party package... We did this when our oldest turned 9... again, the kids LOVED it... they get a party room for about 1.5 hours... the party person plays games with the kids, we did cake... then the group goes on a tour of the movie projector room and the birthday girl got to turn on the movie projector for the theater... then the kids go down to reserved seats and they each get a kids snack pack --- popcorn, small drink, small candy... they also provide goodie bags which include candy and a piece of movie film...

You get to pick what movie you want the kids to see... they do not provide invites, but I just made some up to look like movie tickets and I put them in a plastic baggies and then put them in a larger plastic bag filled with popcorn... the kids LOVED it!!!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
great idea...I didn't know anything about the tour of the movie projector. Kiddo would love that too. And I may have to steal your invite idea -- very clever.

I also attended a party at Mini-Town and enjoyed it very much, but we went to play there recently and the place has really gone downhill. Half the stuff was broken, rest was filthy. Not going back there.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM

399 posts, read 1,027,734 times
We had my 8 year old's birthday party at Sharkey's Cuts for Kids in the Legacy Center. It was great, they have a backroom where the girls can play dress up, have makeup applied, get a manicure, hairstyle, etc. It was pretty reasonable also. They even provided cupcakes and some candy. The girls loved it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

420 posts, read 1,013,827 times
Unless your kids is a geology buff I would not recommend natural bridge caverns. You would be better served going to some of the local parks for free. It is a lot of walking.

Your kids are about the age that we start seeing drop offs. It really depends on the parents and how well you know them. We had some leave their 3 year old with us but we have known them for years. Strangers seem to wait till about 5 or above.

In the McDonalds vibe I would suggest ChickFIlla. You can get the party trays and they do ballons and stuff. They also have a nice play area.

Bigz burgers is also a great place. They will knock off some tables for you and the play area is pretty large. We did it once and bought a bunch of balls for the kids to play with. Everyone had a kids meal and we brought our own brownies. I think we chose to buy 1 adult lunch for every child we invited so if both parents came 1 was buying their own. It worked real well and didn't break the bank for the number of people we had. 20% off coupon didn't hurt either.

And lets not all forget that Build a Bear does parties.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,299 times
please allow me to just whine and complain about the stress and expense of putting together a birthday party. Waaa-waaa-waa-waa. As if parenthood isn't bad enough without this tortuous task. waa-aa-aa-aaaaaaa!

Okay. Got it out of system.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or