U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 AM

16 posts, read 37,605 times
I have been working with an agent but I am not sure I am getting the hard facts about the area and especially the schools. I have gathered quite a bit of info & am trying to balance it all out. I still have a choice to stay or move to SA, but will have to decide w/in the next two weeks. I can't get to SA prior to the move.
I have been looking more at NISD area. Can I get an opinon on the Helotes area? What about the Bandera road I have read that the traffic is bad.
Thanks again
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 PM

116 posts, read 312,514 times
Default Lots of Traffic

I have a very good friend who lives in Helotes and in the last year her 15 minute commute to work has doubled and on rainy days triples. Helotes is a beautiful area, unfortunately the houses have gone up WAY to fast and people are kind of landlocked in that area. If you want to allow yourself extra time to just sit in traffic and wait through SEVERAL light cycles then Helotes would be a nice choice, if not, stick inside of 1604.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 AM

64 posts, read 128,503 times
You might want to reconsider your move since you have a choice. Unless you have priced your house in SC right (as in, less than everyone else who is trying to sell - much less), that is going to be a financial and emotional drain. You'll find nothing with your budget in Helotes - it is absurdly overpriced - and nothing is selling because of overpricing. Traffic is an issue as discussed previously. You need to find a place TO RENT when and if you move here. THEN you can figure out where you might want to buy. Please please - get off this kick of buying anything right now. Lots and lots of places to rent in this town!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I have to agree. One of the outcomes of all of the out-of-state specuvestor money has been a steadily rising number of single family homes for rent. I've seen signs for homes in nice Stone Oak communities for rent for way cheaper than what the PITI (principal, interest, taxes and insurance) on a home that size would be.

It's a really good time to be a renter, actually. Find a home in a neighborhood you think you like, live there for a year, and see what happens. You might decide to buy in that area, or you might find another part of town you like a whole lot better. I would hate to move here, and decide based on a short, rushed trip that Helotes is my ideal location, only to find out a year later that I really prefer, say, Schertz, and be kicking myself for buying in the wrong area for me. Since renting is such a good deal right now, I would take the slow and rational route to homebuying.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM

2,343 posts, read 5,849,329 times
PUt my two cents in for renting also. I know its a big pain to rent cause I just moved from Sa to Austin and I am not looking forward to another move in a year or so however rents are cheaper than house prices sometimes and you also can see for yourself for awhile if that is the school that you want or need for the kids, if thats the drive time you were looking for..heck if you even like the job or city. Lots of reasons to rent first.

Gl

Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM

797 posts, read 2,041,319 times
I would also suggest you rent first, we rushed into buying before we got familiar with the city and are still second guessing what we ended up with. Let's just say I'm having a hard time imagining us staying in this house for the next 25 years. I'm not sure we won't mostly because of my distaste for packing and moving again will probably keep us put. If you'v never been to SA or lived here I really think you would be wiser to rent first and take your time finding your place in the city.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM

16 posts, read 37,605 times
Thank you all, you have been very helpful. Having gathered as much info as I could I have decided not to move to SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio