U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM

179 posts, read 409,143 times

Advertisements

Man I could get into a rant about how I expect the tax money collected for roads to be used on roads and not on special projects like parking lots but I do not believe that this is the forum for that. I am all about a super intersection, but only because I never turn on Braun road. It seems very inconvienent for a select few and more convienent for the majority. Since I am in the majority in this case its not a problem, but what happens when they want to do the same thing to Potranco and 1604. Then I would be the inconvienced minority. I think that 1604 should be made a freeway all the way to Culebra. I know I am not the first to say this. I am just afraid that by band aiding the situation we will only make it worse. A super street may 'help' for the current volume but it does not solve the issue now and can only get worse as volume increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM

968 posts, read 2,185,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
Man I could get into a rant about how I expect the tax money collected for roads to be used on roads and not on special projects like parking lots but I do not believe that this is the forum for that. I am all about a super intersection, but only because I never turn on Braun road. It seems very inconvienent for a select few and more convienent for the majority. Since I am in the majority in this case its not a problem, but what happens when they want to do the same thing to Potranco and 1604. Then I would be the inconvienced minority. I think that 1604 should be made a freeway all the way to Culebra. I know I am not the first to say this. I am just afraid that by band aiding the situation we will only make it worse. A super street may 'help' for the current volume but it does not solve the issue now and can only get worse as volume increases.
I agree with you completely Dementius, I see a ton of people come from both sides of potranco to get on 1604, that place NEEDS an overpass, and if the city is rationing money (who isn't now-a-days) then they need to spend the money on an overpass at an intersection that NEEDS it, Potranco.

But as far as Braun road, i would say make a large turn around at Gilbeau because its so close and anyone needing to cross the highway would only take them 30 seconds more than it would take them sitting at a light, watching for cars who run the light, and avoiding getting stuck in the intersection when the thing turns red on you.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Streets are expensive, but everyone expects for them to be 'free'.
I'll trade the $30-50 I get to keep in taxes for the stress and hours that I waste in traffic anyday.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,203,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Anyone have a good link to describe what a super street is? I've seen an example in the Express News but I'm still confused.
Most State highways like 181 south is a "super street". All that basically means is that the road is divided and has no east-west cross traffic to stop the north-south bound traffic.

If you are on the east side of the hwy and want to travel south... from the east side of the road, your would turn right on to the North bound traffic, merge to the left lane and at intervals, there will be turn points between the North-south lanes, you would enter the turn point and turn left onto the southbound trafic and continue on your South bound track.

this is the expmple of large roads like Henderson pass, but not large like 1604 where a overpass would be used. If I am travelng north bound on 281 and want to head west on Henderson, I merge and go over southbound traffic...the only thing not so easy is going east-west on HP...I would still have to travel north and turn back south, the head west.

Last edited by 1751texan; 02-23-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,129 times
Maybe a 1604 Light Rail is the answer.... I would use it. That way i wouldn't have to worry about someone actin' a fool and damaging my pretty Hot Rod.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Thanks to all for the awesome explanations, links, pics on what a superstreet. Now I get it!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll trade the $30-50 I get to keep in taxes for the stress and hours that I waste in traffic anyday.
Except it would cost substantially more than $30-$50 per person.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Not free but paid for by the taxes already being taken for highway purposes.
Yeah, but the problem is that those taxes aren't enough to cover the infrastructure that suburban residents expect.

Incidentally, the motor fuel tax ($0.20/gallon) hasn't been increased since 1991. And construction costs have risen just a wee bit in the last 19 years.

It's easy to say "just build a dang overpass because my neighborhood needs it", but the fact is that there's not enough public dollars to pay for it.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,185,130 times
would anyone in those areas like to create a fund to cover the additional expenses for that part of town? maybe if enough people got together it could cover the expenses for it. (totally idealistic and uncapitalistic of me)

Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM

475 posts, read 969,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Yeah, but the problem is that those taxes aren't enough to cover the infrastructure that suburban residents expect.

Incidentally, the motor fuel tax ($0.20/gallon) hasn't been increased since 1991. And construction costs have risen just a wee bit in the last 19 years.

It's easy to say "just build a dang overpass because my neighborhood needs it", but the fact is that there's not enough public dollars to pay for it.
Yes. It would great to either have this fuel tax rise every year based on some inflation index or else be % of the gas price.

But then, that would mean each of us have to demand our state legislators to do it. How many of us are willing to do so?

Oh, and while we are at it, demand that money from the fuel tax not be siphoned off for other purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio