U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,432,658 times

Advertisements

By -you people- what is meant, is not you personally, But is meant in a more general sense. You seem a good fellow from your postings. I like this one of the soldier-very funny. My son just returned from navy special forces duty in Afghan(2). and (1) Iraq. Safely.
According to the southern poverty law center site, Texas has the largest number of hate group organizations in the country, 66 . Two are located in San ANtonio. Both are KKK. If these people are not members they share sentiments.
A number of people here, not you, are crybabying about being discriminated against. Funny, for me. What Mean...
When I was a small kid we used to go downtown to the Majestic Theater for movies, a real treat, no Malls or suburb movie thaters in those days you know, just three tv stations or baseball etc.
We always would walk around the block from the parking gagage to the front entrance on Houston street from behind the building where there was already an entrance with a big, brightly lit marquee and ticket booth.
In my 11 year old wisdom I asked "why do we have to walk all the way around the block , why don't we just go in right there? " It seemed such a long distance at the time, of course, to eleven year old feet.
"Because,son, that is where black people go in," was my dad's answer.
Only then did I begin to think about racism. It was pervasive in just everyday speech back then, humor etc.. Even the drinkkking fountains inside Kelly Field were labeled white and black. I have been all around the country, working,experiencing, and self awareness of race is strong in Texas, as much as anywhere else I have been. Moreso, reallly.
That's who, Max ; the crybabies, pitying themselves about being discriminated against. It is truly amusing.
Rodman and texas redneck have great attitudes, we should all have them instead of attempting to open an even bigger divide.
Welcome to the world. How quickly we forget what life was like just a short while ago. The great Texan, a southerner, LBJ fixed all that old nonsense.
By the way, San Antones' economy is great, I agree. You ought to see the shuttered small businesses in the northeast, and the foreclosures... they is pitiable up there. S.A.'s 6.7% unempl. rate is fantastic! It is on a boom cycle ,comparatively speaking of course. No better place to live than s.a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
What do you mean, "you people?!?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Welcome to the world. How quickly we forget what life was like just a short while ago. The great Texan, a southerner, LBJ fixed all that old nonsense.
Excellent post,
that's where the problem comes from,
people are offended because X person got service before they did.
But that's nothing compared to the times when discrimination was government policy.

Last edited by Dopo; 03-30-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,187,722 times
I agree, that was an excellent post, huckster.

As far as discrimination in San Antonio goes, I don't think there's a lot of discrimination. I do, however, believe that our bigger problem is bigotry. No matter where you live in this city, attitudes abound.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,560 times
I spent the majority of my life in San Antonio. I am a bit younger, so I didn't experience anything Huckster experienced. In fact, I really didn't experience any discrimination except the occasional Mexican joke, in which I would happily laugh along.

That is until I went to Nebraska for a long-term work assignment. I didn't per-se experience outright discrimination, but was definitely treated differently. I was asked if I had a piñata at all my birthday parties, questions like, "how do you guys celebrate christmas", etc. At a dentist appointment, the first thing the dentist did when he saw me was shout, "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH OR DO YOU NEED A TRANSLATOR". I was always asked whether I knew the other Mexican people in town. All the girls I dated, at the first fight, blamed my 'machismo' for the fights, when in reality its cuz they were skanks.

San Antonio truly is great in the sense that race/ethnicity isn't a huge deal. Are we a color blind society? Far from it. Does the historically black part of town face major challenges? You bet it does. Are the subdivisions north of 1604 predominantly white/Anglo? Yes. But... those lines aren't stringently rigid, and intelligent, ambitious and hard working people of all backgrounds can and do live a great life here, as anywhere in the country.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM

213 posts, read 514,179 times
I have learned to ignore the discrimination I have been dealt since living here. There is discrimination, but it is subtle.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,187,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Are the subdivisions north of 1604 predominantly white/Anglo? Yes.
joelaldo, are you sure about that?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
joelaldo, are you sure about that?
Nothing I say is gospel, just an observation. Yes, there is diversity in the affluent neighborhoods off 281 north of 1604, but it's markedly whiter than the rest of the city. I really don't know how else to put it in a politicaly correct way....

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,201,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Don't ask me, I'm not the one that said:
"The constitution ...... so that's the way it should be now"
One flag, one language, one nation!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
One flag, one language, one nation!
Where in the constitution does it say "one language"?
Are we supposed to be speaking Cherokee?

Read about John Adams attempt in 1780 to establish English as the official language.

Last edited by Dopo; 02-06-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 AM

945 posts, read 1,585,417 times
Once in the Sony store - not sure if it's still there - on San Pedro, we were followed around the whole time and we were asked if we were going to buy anything or not and were treated like total crap. Little did they know, my brother in law was about to drop about $2000 on equipment until they treated us like that. That's about the only time that I've blatantly felt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or