U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,645,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Yes, Dopo. But, Where is the Love?
You asked for it
(This is my answer everytime somebody ask me that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEbfeG2oAE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,330 times
Okay Dopo for the old school Overweight Lover!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,249,891 times
The Black Eyed Peas had a minor hit called "Joints and Jams" back in the 90s. That style was a lot better than most of the stuff they are putting out now.

I am trying my best to learn Spanish. I was even in pre-AP Spanish and made good grades; but I just can't speak it. I'm trying again because more and more jobs are requiring people to be bilingual in Spanish. I almost see taking German or French in high school as a waste. I know how difficult it is to learn a new language as an adult, but some people in this city aren't being realistic. At one of my former jobs, this one guy asked if anyone could translate for him because he needed to talk to the supervisor of this one department, but the supervisor didn't know English. This lady asked him, "You live in San Antonio and you don't know how to speak Spanish?" So is it stranger for a person to not know Spanish living in San Antonio than it is for a person to not know English living in the U.S.? If I had to take a guess, I would guess there are more people in this city who know English as a first or second language than there are people who know Spanish.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM

6,151 posts, read 8,611,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I work with a few coworkers in an office setting that speak spanish at times when discussing work issues. While I never say anything, I find this highly rude and annoying to do in a professional setting. I have even been copied on email traffic between them that is written in spanish.

Outside of work, I have no issue with it however because then I don't have to be around it.
I think I've said this before (maybe even in this thread...too lazy to look). I speak Spanish (and pretty well) but am 100% Anglo. I worked in an office where the majority of my co-workers spoke Spanish. They would speak in Spanish about work and nothing important, but it bothered me to no end that if I was around they would start speaking in Spanish. They knew I understood and could even be part of the conversation! What was the point?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What does that have to do with "American-born citizen".
It's no secret that the US lags far behind other countries in the education of our students from high-school on down. It's no secret that people in other countries can speak multiple languages moreso than our students in the US. That being said, we are having more people immigrating illegally and legally into our country who are taking American jobs as well (those only speak Spanish, and those educated with degrees who speak more than one language).

Those who speak Spanish only, are not assimilating and choosing to speak their language and INCREASING THE NEED for MORE BILINGUAL workers to ACCOMODATE the millions around our country who do not speak English by their own CHOOSING.

Those who are highly educated and speak more than one language who come to US legally are taking a job away from an American-born citizen in a tough recession.

In conclusion, many Americans (like myself) who grew up in this educational system (which is failing our students because of the prominence of standardized tests rather than TEACHING the students) are not as educated, cannot speak more than one language and then we have people coming into our country illegaly and then take our jobs and then MAKE us learn and know their predominant language from their country of origin since there are millions in our country who can't speak one coherent sentence of English.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
It's no secret that the US lags far behind other countries in the education of our students from high-school on down. It's no secret that people in other countries can speak multiple languages moreso than our students in the US. That being said, we are having more people immigrating illegally and legally into our country who are taking American jobs as well (those only speak Spanish, and those educated with degrees who speak more than one language).

Those who speak Spanish only, are not assimilating and choosing to speak their language and INCREASING THE NEED for MORE BILINGUAL workers to ACCOMODATE the millions around our country who do not speak English by their own CHOOSING.

Those who are highly educated and speak more than one language who come to US legally are taking a job away from an American-born citizen in a tough recession.

In conclusion, many Americans (like myself) who grew up in this educational system (which is failing our students because of the prominence of standardized tests rather than TEACHING the students) are not as educated, cannot speak more than one language and then we have people coming into our country illegaly and then take our jobs and then MAKE us learn and know their predominant language from their country of origin since there are millions in our country who can't speak one coherent sentence of English.
Seems to me like the source of all that problem is businesses that hire them.
I've never heard of anybody leaving their country to go to a place that they know they won't find a job.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,753 times
Quote:
we have people coming into our country illegaly and then take our jobs and then MAKE us learn and know their predominant language from their country of origin
Nobody can make you. It's still a choice.

Oh, how I wish that they would try to force their language on me. I would love to light some asses up.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 PM

124 posts, read 227,231 times
Quote:

xsa - with all due respect I have first hand experience of the educational system in other conturies (in Europe and Asia) and they use FAR MORE STANDARDIZED testing than the US. They also spend far less money and use far bigger class sizes. Sad to say but the kids in these countries are far better educated.

Why? - parental involvement and lots of study! 3 hours homework per night was the norm.

If you did that in a school here there would be riots - led by the parents.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Isn't that a sad statement about the U.S.? Oh my, children might actually have to study!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Why? - parental involvement and lots of study! 3 hours homework per night was the norm.

School was tough in Venezuela when I was a kid, in the 90s there were only 11 grades,
in 9th grade (my last grade there) everybody was taking physics and chemistry, in 10th trigonometry, 11th Calculus. (9th-11th you choose emphasis in science or humanities)
When I came to the US, I went to school from 10th-12th grade and graduated with a 3.5GPA, and got a 28 in my ACT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or