U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM

6,172 posts, read 8,648,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Have you considered that perhaps the issue is yours? I'm NOT trying to be ugly with you, but generally speaking if someone can't get along with others, they usually find the issue is in their own back yard. May be time for some serious soul-searching and insight.

Good luck to you!
I'm not saying that I should be handed a job, goodness no. I'm sure there are reasons why I haven't gotten a number of jobs, being white may be one of them, in my opinion again. I remember a while back there was someone who started a thread about not having a job and was berated for a number of pages. I'd rather not turn this in to a "why don't I have a job thread" and I think I'm having a "I'm disappointed I don't have a job day" which happens to everyone every once in a while. So I think I'm going to stop at the discrimination thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenMan View Post
Do you ever feel discriminated in San Antonio?
Easiest way to find out if there's a lot of discrimination in a city:
Travel to that city with a biracial couple.

San Antonio is the only place in the US where I haven't felt or seen any type of discrimination against any type of people (My wife or I, who are different).

Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM

968 posts, read 2,192,627 times
i'm light skinned and have a very non urban demeanor, but it seems when people see my last name (a hispanic last name) they immediately ask if i can speak spanish, i say no, and they begin to lecture me on how i should learn it, connect with my heritage, how my ancestors would want me to know my history, and how my mother would be proud...

Last edited by Orincarnia; 02-23-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,973,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm not saying that I should be handed a job, goodness no. I'm sure there are reasons why I haven't gotten a number of jobs, being white may be one of them, in my opinion again. I remember a while back there was someone who started a thread about not having a job and was berated for a number of pages. I'd rather not turn this in to a "why don't I have a job thread" and I think I'm having a "I'm disappointed I don't have a job day" which happens to everyone every once in a while. So I think I'm going to stop at the discrimination thing.
At the local CVS, I witnessed a lady speaking Spanish to the pharmacist and getting visibly upset (shaking her fists and stomping her feet) because no one there could speak Spanish to her. They had to drag her out when she began yelling at everyone. I woulda helped translate but I had a hard time understanding what she was saying because she was speaking way too fast and I'm not that fluent. On the other hand, I did not feel that she deserved to be helped due to the way she was treating everyone.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Quote:
Funny....my DIL works for a non-profit social services type employer, and she's white.

Have you considered that perhaps the issue is yours? I'm NOT trying to be ugly with you, but generally speaking if someone can't get along with others, they usually find the issue is in their own back yard. May be time for some serious soul-searching and insight.

Good luck to you!
Ashbeigh's experience is quite common and it's happened to me as well and I am hispanic but that's the way some non profits roll especially because its a small community and everybody knows everybody no matter what type of non profit.
Kudos to you in your wording; other folks may not have been so kind in their language, hence the sometimes 10 page threads of bashing or what not.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Funny....my DIL works for a non-profit social services type employer, and she's white.

Good luck to you!
Hehe good luck having that fly in the Rio Grande Valley.

You don't know Spanish? Good bye!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Of the several non profits Ive done work with the HBIC was always white but thats just been my experience.
I had to google to know what the initials were for, he he!
My current non profit has one and the last two I was at were by Hispanics.
I dunno in other non profits although the foundations have a large white employee base, I haven't seen one that's Hispanic employed.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,215 times
I ate at a Taco Cabana on SW Military a while back, and got some dirty looks from some folks there. I guess it was because I look like a CPS worker, which I'm not.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I ate at a Taco Cabana on SW Military a while back, and got some dirty looks from some folks there. I guess it was because I look like a CPS worker, which I'm not.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
At the local CVS, I witnessed a lady speaking Spanish to the pharmacist and getting visibly upset (shaking her fists and stomping her feet) because no one there could speak Spanish to her.
Are you sure that that was the reason?
I've never seen anybody throw a tantrum because nobody would speak Spanish to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or