U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM

454 posts, read 541,873 times

Advertisements

As a Black person in San Antonio (I'm actually mixed...but whatever) who is originally from Florida, I feel that the discrimination here and most of Texas is a bit more subtle than in places like Florida.

For example, I have blatantly been called the n word in Florida several times for no reason. That either came from rednecks, or immigrants, which is one of the many irritants of living in Florida, mainly north and central.

Anyhow, back to S.A., I feel that its not as blatant...but its still here. The Mexican community here is very tightly knit, so I feel if you aren't one yourself it can be a bit difficult to fit in. I have gone to places and attempted to chat with some of them, and they just look at me like I'm crazy...and in fact its like that in Dallas too. They are very indifferent, especially the Mexican men.

There's been 2 times I can remember where I've had to 'go off' on some Mexicans because they were blantaly ignoring me while helping other Mexican customers. Yesterday, I had to raise hell at a fast food place because they had me waiting outside in the car for 5 minutes, and when I walked in my food was sitting on the counter and they didnt bring it out.

I hate getting angry and aggressive, but people here tend to push you do those things. I know my Latino people like the back of my hand. They can be your bestest friend, but get them around a group of their own, you better hope you know Spanish or you'll be left high and dry. And in a city like Miami and S.A. where 60, 70% of the people are Latino, you'll be sure to feel the full brunt of such behavior.

My thought is this...its going to be different for who you are. I have a friend (who I'm about to dump) who is also mixed, yet he "hates Black people"...and went on and on about how he hated Black people, in a Mexican resturaunt which I believe is a by-product of living in San Antonio. People live there whole lives around 1 race and find it hard to accept another. I have gone to several places since I've lived here and I can say there is a distinct indifference in the acceptance of Black people here in San Antonio.

Some White people here will say they havent experienced any discrimination...well hello! Most places I go the people are either White or Mexican so of course they may not experience it.

On the flip side...I feel the Whites in San Antonio are alot more open-minded...whereas in Dallas, they are no different than the ones in Florida. Just mean and racist. One reason I couldn't stand going to the nightclubs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

6,274 posts, read 9,034,473 times
Y'know, it's funny....as a guy about as obviously white as they come, I go into the East, West and South Sides all the time. Sure, there's times when it's pretty obvious that I'm about as welcome as a cat in a dog show, I figure I can do two things - react to it, or ignore it and make 'em accept me as much as possible. Getting in someone's face, in my experience, just reinforces their ignorant perceptions. So I'll use humor to get 'em laughin' a little (even at my expense), then move in. To me, a stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet, and as a result I've made some pretty interesting confrontations into opportunities to not only become familiar with 'em, but even change their minds a bit.
I can certainly understand the frustration and anger, but I would suggest that it's best used as a foil to convert the other guys' way of thinking where possible.
Jest an' ol' Rednecks' way of thinkin'.....don't make it right, but what the heck!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,695,505 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that discrimination is ok.

But it's funny that I lived 15 years in the Midwest where I was always told:
"Your people are always complaining about discrimination,
how do you know that ........... wasn't just a coincidence or an accident"

It's funny to be on the other side now,
and see the reaction of people when it is the other way around.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,197,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The Constitution of the United States was written in English. Translations were not provided.

Folks need to learn to deal with that.
Well said!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The Constitution of the United States was written in English. Translations were not provided.

Folks need to learn to deal with that.
With that logic,
all government documents should be written by hand by slave-owners?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,184,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
With that logic,
Dopo, what exactly does that have to do with anything?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Dopo, what exactly does that have to do with anything?
Don't ask me, I'm not the one that said:
"The constitution ...... so that's the way it should be now"

Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,188,326 times
I feel discriminated all the time. Women look at me like a piece of meat and that they are here for the buffett. I have a brain....I have feelings.......

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,214,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I feel discriminated all the time. Women look at me like a piece of meat and that they are here for the buffett. I have a brain....I have feelings.......
....as he hits the snooze button....10 more minutes.....

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM

257 posts, read 469,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
With that logic,

Huh? IMO, this kind of comment keeps the discrimination & racism going. Yes, there were slave owner back then. Not so now.

Let's move forward people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or