U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,045,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
With that logic,
all government documents should be written by hand by slave-owners?
Go ahead if you want to - but if you'd actually read up on things, there were proportionately few slave owners at any given time in the US. Then again, there were also slave owners world-wide, so once again I find myself hard-pressed to understand the legitimacy of one of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Go ahead if you want to - but if you'd actually read up on things, there were proportionately few slave owners at any given time in the US. Then again, there were also slave owners world-wide, so once again I find myself hard-pressed to understand the legitimacy of one of your posts.
I could go on with that topic, but I'll just drop it so we can get back on topic.
Again, I'm not the one that brought up the whole thing about the constitution.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 50,776 times
Ashbeeigh ... yep, I know. Lived in Austin years ago, that's where I concluded that when I got that rare opportunity to interview for a social service job, it was for cosmetic purposes only because I am not Hispanic. I'm guessing they had to interview non-Hispanics to demonstrate non-discriminatory practices. I got so sick & tired of it I actually got a little pissed off at an interviewer once, something that has happened one time in over 20 years. I surprised myself when it happened, but during the interview I caught on and decided I had quite enough so I enjoyed myself a little. Spent many times crying before that day had come. Then I moved to a different state and immediately got a job in the social service industry where my degree was recognized and where I was able to build work experience. Many years and a few positions since then, I am now back in Texas but without any illusions. Went on a couple of social service job interviews in San Antonio this year with my impressive degree, certifications and other credentials plus all that fabulous work experience and a slew outstanding references, etc. Forget it. The vast majority of social service agencies here are run by one ethnic group and appear to be strongly inclined to hire people who look like themselves. From my experience, the woman seem worse for some reason. I am guessing they have experienced a history of discrimination, rejection or have been looked down on contemptuously by non-Hispanic woman (I'm not being more specific here for my own protection and not just to be diplomatic). Hey, is it still like this in San Antonio for Hispanics? It doesn't seem like it. I ask this because sometimes I feel the resentment on the receiving end and it's really sad & weird because I know it has nothing to do with me personally. Don't care anymore about getting a social service job in San Antonio either although I'm obviously a little annoyed. After all, I have never treated anyone like that and would not if I was in a position of power to hire someone. I'm not stupid and not a racist, that's why. I can understand these people are hurt and angry and rationalizing their behavior. They don't see it as wrong. Maybe they never took an ethics class in college, who knows. There's no sense in continuing to send my resume to any more people with names that indicate to me they are highly likely to not respond because of the ethnicity my name indicates. If they do respond I am sure they likely have no intention of hiring me ... just want to interview me to cover their rear because they're supposed to be an EOE. You know, recipients of grant funds, etc. I'm applying to all kinds of jobs now. No one gets my SSN unless they've decided they want to hire me & need to do a background check. No more stupid cover letters that waste my time and I'm beginning to return to my "email the resume only, no more filling out applications" policy along with "my salary history is none of your business" policy. I will get a job with an intelligent employer, like I've done before when I've stuck to these policies to avoid becoming burned-out, angry & despondent. Don't care about the competitive job market & unemployment rate, etc. I'm focused and know as a jobseeker I need to apply to as many jobs as I can as fast as possible because it's all about quantity not quality, unfortunately. Getting as many resumes out as fast as possible and sticking to my policies will weed out employers that don't have enough respect and intelligence to not waste exhausted demoralized jobseekers' time and energy. Resumes are screening tools and are used as such by better employers. "Yeah, if you're interested in me after you feed my resume through your key word program then I'll fill out your 5+ page application and answer your pages & pages of questions and take your tests". If a resume does not provide enough information or reflects carelessness or incompetency, then that's also good information for an employer to use as a screening tool. My advise is, if you want to work in the social services industry in San Antonio, as in many other cities with significant non-White populations but you're White, apply to as many jobs as possible that will help build your resume toward that indirectly, like any kind of management-type job, as one example. Do part-time social service type volunteer work, if you can, and put it on your resume. Don't personalize the discrimination and be ready to relocate if you are serious about a social services career. Keep in mind though, those types of jobs don't pay much and will suck the life out of you because you deal with the same crap day after day. If you're smart, your brain really does start to shrink after a while and you begin to wonder if your wasting your potential. Don't want to be negative but this may be the case for you. I would have never known this if someone in another state (who's ethnic group looked like mine, by the way) had not given me the chance to find out for myself. Good luck, don't give up ... just change your approach!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,228,591 times
I'm so thankful that post wasn't directed at anyone over 30. How the heck can anyone read it? Enjoy, Ashbeeigh!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,295,769 times
I got as far as "in over 20 years"

Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbound View Post
Forget it. The vast majority of social service agencies here are run by one ethnic group and appear to be strongly inclined to hire people who look like themselves.
Just one question about this,
are you saying that San Antonio is the only city where that is true?

From my experience, that statement is true in every single city where I have worked.
If I ever dared to point it out, I would get something like:
"The smart, hard working people are the ones that get the job"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbound View Post
There's no sense in continuing to send my resume to any more people with names that indicate to me they are highly likely to not respond because of the ethnicity my name indicates.
Same with this,
it happens in every city in the US,
you should talk to a "Lakeisha Jackson" or a "Maria Gonzalez" and ask them if they go through the same thing in other cities.

Last edited by Dopo; 02-28-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
swbound

The Japanese have figured it out, so can you!

http://www1.doshisha.ac.jp/~kkitao/catalog/eichosha/parag.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,981,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I got as far as "in over 20 years"
Where is that?

brb, speed searching via CTRL + F

In all seriousness, you have to wonder why we are getting more and more posts like this. It's a good idea to be bilingual in this city, but there are also many many jobs that dont' require it. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM

26 posts, read 50,776 times
Yeah, sorry for the rambling post. My point is that I've walked into businesses for interviews where everyone is of the same ethnic group; everyone was White or everyone just happened to be Black (or all Hispanic). That's probably a big red flag if your there for an interview & look like your not from the same ethnic group. Almost forgot, got my first taste of ageism in Austin, too. I was 35 and didn't realize that your either young or old because middle age didn't exist ... even though 35 is not quite middle age yet. I was old, of course. Anyway just sick of looking for a job but it was my choice to give up a great job where I was to come down this way. At least it doesn't snow here!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM

6,197 posts, read 8,665,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm so thankful that post wasn't directed at anyone over 30. How the heck can anyone read it? Enjoy, Ashbeeigh!
lol. I got through it, but was like phew...could we break that up in to paragraphs?

No worries though. Everyone has their frustrations. This is where mine lies at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or