U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 PM

26 posts, read 50,794 times

Advertisements

Yes, I kinda was assuming ashbeeigh might be under 30 only because she said the same thing I was thinking in my early 30s, just out of college. I ran into that crap in Texas. Yes, I'm seeing it again now that I'm in Texas again. Yes, I've seen it elsewhere too but I thought my credentials could compensate like they seemed to in other cities where I've found work but that's not happening here so I'm done. So now I'm looking for employment outside of my field. I'm in my 40s and have to remember to quit giving advice ... and if I do anyway, to keep it short & simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM

217 posts, read 1,629,759 times
YES YES YES. Primarly by Hispanics which is sad because it is toward other minorites . It has be mostly toward my kids in the schools they don't deserve it from other minorites we are a miltary family use to everyone to me it makes people closed minded. My thoughts the people who act like this have never been many places. I have to really give encourgement to the kids and adults that feel discrimanated against as they are not the one with the problem. The person showing this type of behavior needs help.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,725,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
YES YES YES. Primarly by Hispanics which is sad because it is toward other minorites . It has be mostly toward my kids in the schools they don't deserve it ....
can you share what happened to them?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 22,069 times
Yes,there is alot of it in s.a. but hey we are only a few hours from Mexico,the same happens to hispanics who move to states that are mostly white like some parts of Alabama or even oklahoma and some parts of Texas are still very racist or your just looked at as a outsider and that's why you get "the look" all it comes down is,I think people just look for reasons to hate each other and that's why I'm leaving S.A. And TX for that matter!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,190,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyee View Post
I think people just look for reasons to hate each other and that's why I'm leaving S.A. And TX for that matter!
Ditto. I'm torn between buying some land out past Kerrville and commuting or just getting the hay outta here altogether. I've turned down some decent offers out of state, and while I don't regret it... I wonder from time to time.

No matter, there is trash everywhere. I try to keep that in mind.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
No matter, there is trash everywhere. I try to keep that in mind.
That is 100% right.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,343,232 times
Let me share with you something my grandmother used to say... It's sage wisdom:

'No matter where you go Benjamin, there you are.'

What does it mean? It's a simplistic way of saying that anywhere you go, you're going to deal with the same BS that you dealt with before. It's not the location that needs to change... It's you- yourself- your mindset. Moving away is just another form of running from your problems. If your attitude remains, it's just going to haunt you in the Brand X city you arrive at. My personal motto: Don't Febreze your life.

Unless it's keeping you from that promotion you deserve or something truly life-altering, most 'discrimination' can simply be ignored. Laugh it off. Life is far too full of opportunity to give credence to those who are moronic, stupefied and worthless. I've found what makes bigots truly angry (and the best revenge) is simply doing well in life: Taking their angry idiocy and using it as fuel to achieve the best for yourself.

BN

Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM

161 posts, read 439,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
lol. I got through it, but was like phew...could we break that up in to paragraphs?

No worries though. Everyone has their frustrations. This is where mine lies at the moment.
I am black and have seen the discrimination against me here while on my search for clerical work. I've been turned down for 3 jobs because I don't speak Spanish, even though I'm qualified & the positions didn't ask for Spanish-speaking. I don't apply for the ones that do require it.

Back in NYS, I have worked and lived among latinos from the caribbean islands and never had an issue. My best friend for over 25 yrs is Puerto Rican (she looks Irish--fair skin, red hair & freckels!) I know things and people's perceptions are different but I haven't experienced it from mexican hispanic people until I moved here. I'm not racist, I just want to work.

I know very little Spanish but trying to learn. Honestly, it's hard to focus on that when I'm looking for work everyday.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,720,081 times
Certainly seems like a fair amount of perceived discrimination in SA. Some folks think that not speaking Spanish is costing them opportunities as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Certainly seems like a fair amount of perceived discrimination in SA. Some folks think that not speaking Spanish is costing them opportunities as well.
Going straight to point...
If an employer requires his employers to be bilingual, is that discrimination?
(I'm guessing that's why this thread was started)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or