U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM

574 posts, read 1,164,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Going straight to point...
If an employer requires his employers to be bilingual, is that discrimination?
(I'm guessing that's why this thread was started)
No I don't think so. In certain sectors like Human/Social services I think there is nothing wrong with an employer requiring some staff being bilingual to meet the needs of a particular demographic.

There are more jobs that do not require being bilingual than those that do.

Now depending on the sector you work in, bilingual requirements may hinder you from employment, but I don't believe that in itself is "discrimination."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,294,662 times
I agree with Dreadlockd. Being bilingual is considered a "skill" like any other. If you work in a field that is ever changing (like most are) and being fluent in another language becomes apart of that change, then you should make attempts to become proficient in that new skill. In the human services field in other parts of this country Spanish isn't necessarily the second language that is most heavily in demand. Mandarin, Vietnamese, Japanese, Hindi etc etc

Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
As a Black person in San Antonio (I'm actually mixed...but whatever) who is originally from Florida, I feel that the discrimination here and most of Texas is a bit more subtle than in places like Florida.

For example, I have blatantly been called the n word in Florida several times for no reason. That either came from rednecks, or immigrants, which is one of the many irritants of living in Florida, mainly north and central.

Anyhow, back to S.A., I feel that its not as blatant...but its still here. The Mexican community here is very tightly knit, so I feel if you aren't one yourself it can be a bit difficult to fit in. I have gone to places and attempted to chat with some of them, and they just look at me like I'm crazy...and in fact its like that in Dallas too. They are very indifferent, especially the Mexican men.

There's been 2 times I can remember where I've had to 'go off' on some Mexicans because they were blantaly ignoring me while helping other Mexican customers. Yesterday, I had to raise hell at a fast food place because they had me waiting outside in the car for 5 minutes, and when I walked in my food was sitting on the counter and they didnt bring it out.

I hate getting angry and aggressive, but people here tend to push you do those things. I know my Latino people like the back of my hand. They can be your bestest friend, but get them around a group of their own, you better hope you know Spanish or you'll be left high and dry. And in a city like Miami and S.A. where 60, 70% of the people are Latino, you'll be sure to feel the full brunt of such behavior.

My thought is this...its going to be different for who you are. I have a friend (who I'm about to dump) who is also mixed, yet he "hates Black people"...and went on and on about how he hated Black people, in a Mexican resturaunt which I believe is a by-product of living in San Antonio. People live there whole lives around 1 race and find it hard to accept another. I have gone to several places since I've lived here and I can say there is a distinct indifference in the acceptance of Black people here in San Antonio.

Some White people here will say they havent experienced any discrimination...well hello! Most places I go the people are either White or Mexican so of course they may not experience it.

On the flip side...I feel the Whites in San Antonio are alot more open-minded...whereas in Dallas, they are no different than the ones in Florida. Just mean and racist. One reason I couldn't stand going to the nightclubs there.
I'm black and I've lived all around Florida and San Antonio. Made a post a few years back on this exact same thing. You hit then nail on the head several times over with this. I know EXACTLY what your talking about.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,479,381 times
I wish people of every color would learn that being brown skinned doesn't make you "Mexican."

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I wish people of every color would learn that being brown skinned doesn't make you "Mexican."
Oh yeah!! LMAO. I had this mexican friend once that used to wear brown all the time. And he always used to graffiti everything "Brown Pride" and even my folder he did that too. I asked him why he always did that and he was like "Brown Pride fool". I'm not even Mexican btw. So I was like whoa. Ok calm down. It's not that serious and Mexicans don't even look brown all right.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM

217 posts, read 1,628,720 times
To comment for the post how are my kids discrimated from Hispanics. They have been called the n WORD many times at school. Most of the spanish kids will eliminate them out of games or if they wear their hair braided make certain comments about blacks ect... Which is shameful because a number of hispanics try to act like black rappers ect and wear braids and more. I tell my childern at least your different you don't have to wear your hair the same way daily and we come in so many beautiful colors. But yes they still feel the discrimation here more than anywhere we have been. So sad that some of the people that do it only experience San Antonio or other primarly hispanic areas. The sad part is if they ever go anywhere else in this world they may feel the same thing that they put out. No one wants that but as miltary people we accept everyone and hope and pray that some of the attitude changes because if your a minoirty putting out racist attitudes you need to put yourself on the other side of the equation as the same thing can happen to you one day. Be loving God created all of us.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,187,220 times
I agree, nikip. Be loving, God created us all.

The world is full of hip gangsta-wannabees. Dime a dozen. Being real is where it's at, no matter what "race" you are.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,707,243 times
Nikip,
I've seen a little bit of that,
I think that some people take advantage of the fact that San Antonio is a very open-minded city in terms of race and they make very strong comments about X group of people as a little joke to disguise their racism.

I've seen it happening several times.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,224,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nikip,
I've seen a little bit of that,
I think that some people take advantage of the fact that San Antonio is a very open-minded city in terms of race and they make very strong comments about X group of people as a little joke to disguise their racism.

I've seen it happening several times.
Who are these "some people" and "they" that you speak of?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,707,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Who are these "some people" and "they" that you speak of?
I can think of at least two people that I know very good that constantly say little jokes like that.
But I can't just give out their names on the internet.

All I do is play it off, and let them talk, just to see how far they'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or