Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I had family over last night and we were talking about the possibility of putting a pool in our backyard. My husband is pretty much against it; while he loves the idea of a pool, and doesn't mind the maintenance, he is more concerned with the ROI. He realizes we'll never get 100%, but he is worried we won't even get 50 or 60%. I disagree and believe we could be closer to 80%.

My argument is: we live in a nice subdivision--it's gated, with about 150 homes. I'd say about 15% of the homes here have pools. We do NOT have a subdivision pool. They won't be getting one, either. That's the bummer of our neighborhood, but we can live with that. However, if we were to have a pool in our yard, I could see where our house might sell faster and closer to our asking price (whatever that may be--we have no intention of moving anywhere in the next 5-10 years).

Houses in our neighborhood range from 200K-350K, 1800 sq ft to 3500 sq ft. FWIW, our house was 200K and 2300 sq ft. The pool budget would be $40-45K. Small pool, with spa, and limited decking. I know for a fact we'd be in it from the minute it was finished until it is too cold to swim, and then we'd be in the hot tub. We are definite water bugs here...something else my hubby fails to take into consideration--ROE or Rate of Enjoyment--100%!

Opinions and questions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
The addition of a swimming pool is supposed to have one of the lowest ROI of any home improvement - about 40-50% nationally.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The addition of a swimming pool is supposed to have one of the lowest ROI of any home improvement - about 40-50% nationally.
Okay, I probably should have mentioned that I do understand what it is nationally--but Texas IS different, as is most of the South. The numbers for "the nation" do not represent Texas as a whole.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times
I think your husband is more correct on the return value. I've always heard you never come close to recouping the cost of an in-ground pool. Also, some families just don't want a pool for safety reasons if they have small children so that will not necessarily expand your market base when selling.

We have a home in our subdivision that is the same exact model as ours, except they have a pool. The house is so outrageously priced and has been on and off the market since last year. Guessing they are trying to recup the $$ they spent remodeling and perhaps the pool. But, I don't think they are going to get any buyers at that price --

If this was your home for life -- then I'd say go for it. Possibly moving in five years though?? I'd vote no.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
A pool is a hole in the ground where you throw money . Trust me .

Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
The variance in the 40-50% national ROI would be based on factors like geographic location, how common it is for other homes in the neghborhood to have such an improvement, etc.

So IOW, what that would tell me is that your ROI could be expected to be closer to 50%.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
I agree with SO...if you were going to spend at least another 15-20 yrs in that house, then I say helllllllllllllllllllllzzzz yeah!!! If not, then I would reconsider. I think many families find pools a dealbreaker when they are in the market. Personally, we turned down a really great house that fit all of our needs simply because there was a pool in the backyard.

Get a Sea World or Fiesta Texas pass instead.....

Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
If you live in a gated subdivision with NO community pool, prepare to have neighbors knocking on your door, asking if they can leave their kids there for the afternoon for a swim.

That's on top of all the other negatives that the others have listed.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
Have you considered a really nice hot tub?

My sister and brother-in-law built a pool in their backyard, and really regretted it after a while (and my sister is loathe to admit making any mistakes). Their house is in Plano, but I think the situation is similar. Maintenance, cost, and so forth. And I swear she said water evaporated from it all summer? Water temps were in the high 80s during the summer? Not very refreshing. It took them a long while to sell their place, too.

The last 3 years they lived there, the only household member who enjoyed the pool was the Labrador. He became quite proficient at swimming laps while letting their two dachshunds "ride" his back. No YouTube video, unfortunately.

Their new house is pool-less and they are ecstatic.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
If you have younger kids that'll enjoy the pool, then maybe - otherwise it WILL be your money pit. You'd be better off with an outdoor kitchen, gazebo, etc. if you want someplace to entertain/enjoy. Still won't recoup much, but you won't spend as much to build OR maintain it, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: