U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM

97 posts, read 223,957 times
Yes I considered doing something computer related. I think I would like that more than anything medical, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM

404 posts, read 450,932 times
Well, I've earned my bachelors but have been wanting to take Paralegal certificate program @ UTSA as I want to grow beyond my current position in mental health (non-profit) and perhaps have chances at bonuses(?). I posted a question on program once before but got few responses. Anyone out there have any idea on demand for PARALEGALS in SA? Thanks...

Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,727,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess View Post
Yes I considered doing something computer related. I think I would like that more than anything medical, to be honest.
Believe it or not if you are looking into computer technology then seriously consider medical as well. Why? Because many hospitals, pharmacy, private practice, are trying to link networks and move from prescribing via medical pad to online systems...

Check out anything in medical administration or technology...you don't work with patients and should be slightly less stressful.

All the best.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,843,154 times
TheOriginalMrsX is correct pieceofjess. There is Health Information Management as a major (but that's 4 year degree which you can do once you're employed somewhere awesome and they have tuition reimbursement) and then there's also medical equipment tech(2 year which is also at SPC). People will like you because you've been able to fix their equipment but you will do maintenance as well. So it's part repair, part technology, part people skills (conversing with medical staff).

Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM

186 posts, read 202,416 times
If you don't need something fulltime you can reenroll and apply for a work study...you would need to reapply at the end of each semester or academic year depending on what you're studying and who your course advisor might be..you do have to maintain a passing GPA to do this. On the other hand there may be work opportunities available on campus i.e foodservice, housekeeping, facilities maintenance etc. I used to find paid internship opportunities for my students...I would suggest that if you look for work try to tie it into your educational pursuits...too many times I've lost students pursuing their Baccalaureate or graduate degree to the spectre of becoming too absorbed in work thus losing sight of their real goal of completing a four-year degree or Master's. The key is to maintain your focus and get back into school...the longer you stay out...the easier it is to justify putting it off. From the prof's perspective (mine)...get back into school and give yourself time before declaring a major. If you want a vocational/technical job go to a trade school...you'll transition into the workforce quicker...if you want a college degree get your baccalaureate then look at graduate school.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 PM

14,497 posts, read 26,601,844 times
from what I can see--doing a trade school and getting loans means you have to take college level (supposedly) courses in English, math, etc...those courses are NOT quality courses--
the students don't want to take them and the admin at the school don't want the teachers to be too hard or flunk anyone--so it is basically a waste of time taking them --

I am not putting down a trade or practical skill type of job--
heck--my son got an MA in creative writing/poetry--he was lucky to get the job he did which pays less than a starting teacher makes (he is actually making less money now than he was before he got his MA--and he has way more debt)...
so I am all for something practical...

what type of work would you like--what do you enjoy doing???
I think so many people don't think they can actually get a job doing what they like--
it is certainly possible IF you know how to go about it--and have a game plan--

write down 4 or 5 keywords--and then do a search on Monster--see what comes up

I know someone whose son graduated with a degree in kinesiology--elementary ed--he is going to be hard presses to get a job teaching PE in an elementary school in DFW--mainly because schools are cutting back on those types of job spots altogether--
but because it is in elem ed he is going to be hard pressed to get one coaching either---

he has good people skills, but hates math which killed him in business classes like statistics so he had to change his major--he worked at liquor store in the town he went to college in--and they loved him there--dependable, good with customers, honest--

he probably would have done better to go into something like sports marketing, or public relations or maybe something in hospitality or resort management or recreation management
there are even colleges where you can get a degree in golf course management if you love golf but can't play well enough to go on pro tour...

believe me--there is no one more appreciated than someone who really knows how to link/fix/coordinate/debug computers AND explain the problem to regular people...
the area of portable computers--think pads, linked phones, WIFI systems--is very confusing to many people who use them--

if you are good with computers--you would seemingly always be able to find a job--but that is probably too simplistic a view...

Old 02-27-2010, 05:57 AM

5,715 posts, read 8,570,405 times
Don't know if you might be open to moving after school, but there was a very interesting article in the paper about 2 yrs ago that said there is some water purification course taught at NW Vista college that was a 2 yr program and the job is so in demand worldwide that the graduates had a 100% placement rate starting in the $60K area. If you are interested, I am certain that if you ask NW Vista they could give you info on the program. Evidently there are VERY few schools teaching this (at the time of the article) and the demand was great worldwide, giving someone that would like the opportunity to travel abroad a chance to see the world.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,351,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
just be forewarned that CC or trade schools don't help you GET a job--basically they can't guarantee you placement no matter what they promise--know several people who went through the CAD coursed with trade school and got nothing but a bill...
If you are referring to a CAD Drafting program, I don't know of any San Antonio employer who could be expected to have openings on a regular basis for experienced candidates, much less for those seeking an entry-level position.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM

260 posts, read 222,122 times
An Associate Degree is good enough to get you into a job line you may like. Once in, you work hard and smart and look for opportunities after you've proven yourself. It may take a while, but well worth it. Many companies promote from within with proven employees.

So get in somewhere and don't waste time. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Status: "joined in 2014 ...knows first class flyer. ..hmmm" (set 2 days ago)

13,585 posts, read 21,230,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Don't know if you might be open to moving after school, but there was a very interesting article in the paper about 2 yrs ago that said there is some water purification course taught at NW Vista college that was a 2 yr program and the job is so in demand worldwide that the graduates had a 100% placement rate starting in the $60K area. If you are interested, I am certain that if you ask NW Vista they could give you info on the program. Evidently there are VERY few schools teaching this (at the time of the article) and the demand was great worldwide, giving someone that would like the opportunity to travel abroad a chance to see the world.
Yep, the Advanced Water Treatment Program. Keep in mind it's much more expensive (I think around 10K) to finish the program--it's much higher than regular CC tuition, but you're right about being able to land a great job right away. Not too shabby of a salary for a 2 year degree.

NVC: Advanced Water Treatment Costs (http://www.accd.edu/nvc/programs/area_jump/program_plans/advanced_water_trmt_costs.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio