U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM

10,409 posts, read 12,671,808 times

Advertisements

My dad really liked a place north of Uvalde. I think it's called River Road but I'm not sure. I think that's also near Garner State Park.

For closer places, check out Boerne City Lake (across I-10 from Boerne), Seguin, and San Marcos (city park on the San Marcos River).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 AM

314 posts, read 2,378,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Where are you from? It sounds like you have lived in places with more water than south Texas.
We moved here from the Seattle area 14 months ago. Lots of rain equals lots of water. But we moved here to get away from the rain, so I'm o.k with having less choices. I'm just looking for SOME choices. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Aquajox; 06-02-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: gratitude

Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 AM

10,409 posts, read 12,671,808 times
I see. Well, just understand that Texas is drier than most places in the US. Almost like a desert. Most fun watery places usually have a price attached, or are crowded with people.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:25 AM

634 posts, read 2,704,081 times
Comal & Guadelupe Rivers??

Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM

634 posts, read 2,704,081 times
Aren't there any nice streams in the hills??

Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
A fun, inexpensive place to go for the day, or camp overnight, is Krause Springs. Here's a little info on it:

Krause Springs

Be careful--I couldn't get my son out of the pool once he got in. It really wasn't too packed the day we went, but I hear it does get crowded.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Contact the Texas State Park systems for safe and affordable swimming locations in and around San Antonio.

"Swimming" holes as you call them, used to be everywhere.....but mostly on private property. Years ago, property owners didn't mind someone stopping and "jumping in". Now it's become a liability without supervision and/or permission.

Guadalupe State part is on the Bexar/Comal county line...about 20-30 up 281 and 1604. I'm happy they do have fees and regulations to prevent overcrowding.

I'm not sure about the status of San Pedro Spring swimming pool....but I'm sure it's crowded too.

Outside of SA....Bandera (Medina River right near the town square), Concan and Garner State Park....GREAT swimming.....but for safe places you'll have a fee. You've checked out Landa Park in New Braunfels. The Comal and Guadalupe Rivers both have "camps" with day swimming and over night camping....just avoid the areas with college age tubers and partiers. Check out the Chamber or Commerce in all these areas for more detailed locations.

FYI - there are definitely Water moccasin snakes, but they avoid the crowds.....ask park officials about that. As far as alligators, you might have 1% chance of seeing a gator this far South, but it would be all over the news if anyone did! That's not to say they aren't around....I have a friend with a 1200 acres ranch and 80 acre lake and they have two gators. But they live in Lexington which is 2.5 hours NE of San Antonio.

Austin has some great parks with natural springs waters....if you want to drive that far.

In my mind....free is not so good....that means it's unsupervised and you may not have anyone to inform you about the wildlife and/or possible dangers or liabilities. South Texas is such a tourist destination these days that all our watering holes outback are no longer great kept secrets.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:22 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,878 times
Landa Park in New Braunfels is really nice.

Landa Park, New Braunfels, Texas

Also, there's Canyon Lake, Comal River, Guadalupe River, Medina Lake, and all the free city pools.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,424,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Aren't there any nice streams in the hills??

Hi,

Yes there are a few hidden gems that are free. Beautiful little streams that flow when we have had a good year of rain (like this year). Like me though, most people will not spread the news of a newly discovered spot because it will be overrun very quickly with the masses from S.A.

Sorry, that is just the way it is, be patient. I recommend going to New Braunfels and become friendly with some locals, they will more than likely point you to some nice spots. I always like Stinky Falls in New Braunfels.

Have fun SWIMMIN this summer.

crazedchef

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM

545 posts, read 2,086,369 times
Keep in mind, too, that there are no natural lakes in Texas (Caddo Lake in the Texarkana area was until they dammed it), so pretty much any lake you find is going to have a fee attached because it's been developed by someone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio