U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,828,647 times

Advertisements

Ok, I just have to pipe in here and ask a couple of questions

Someone else already asked about the alligator issue...I would absolutley FLIP if I ever SAW one, much less actually came into contact with one. I'm afraid I would make the gator's life far too easy as I would just roll over and die (of a heart attack) and be a free meal Everyone has some kind of a phobia...gators are mine
We're pondering moving to the SA area, please tell me that alligators are not seen around there!? I know they are not common there, as they are more densley habited around the coast, but seriously...what are the odds of running into a gator if we come there?
Also, when you say "safe place to swim" and someone mentioned wildlife, exactly what do you mean by that? Here where I live, we have the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. Other than a RARE find of a rattler or mohave green it is not NORMAL to see ANY snakes on any kind of regular basis...nor is it normal to see any kind of wildlife other than maybe coyotes, skunks and racoons...what kind of wildlife does one have to worry about at the lakes there? Are snakes all over the place? Are Water moccasins/Cotton Mouths the norm IN the lake? What other wildlife are we talking about?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM

4,260 posts, read 6,892,851 times
The only alligator I've seen is at the San Antonio Zoo.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The only alligator I've seen is at the San Antonio Zoo.
Thank you! And I will assume they were behind the bars... just kidding!

I appreciate your response...

Old 06-07-2007, 08:35 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,248,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Ok, I just have to pipe in here and ask a couple of questions

Someone else already asked about the alligator issue...I would absolutley FLIP if I ever SAW one, much less actually came into contact with one. I'm afraid I would make the gator's life far too easy as I would just roll over and die (of a heart attack) and be a free meal Everyone has some kind of a phobia...gators are mine
We're pondering moving to the SA area, please tell me that alligators are not seen around there!? I know they are not common there, as they are more densley habited around the coast, but seriously...what are the odds of running into a gator if we come there?
Also, when you say "safe place to swim" and someone mentioned wildlife, exactly what do you mean by that? Here where I live, we have the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. Other than a RARE find of a rattler or mohave green it is not NORMAL to see ANY snakes on any kind of regular basis...nor is it normal to see any kind of wildlife other than maybe coyotes, skunks and racoons...what kind of wildlife does one have to worry about at the lakes there? Are snakes all over the place? Are Water moccasins/Cotton Mouths the norm IN the lake? What other wildlife are we talking about?
I live on 200 acres at Medina Lake. I have never seen a rattle snake on our place (although, I'm sure they are there). Like you, all I see are coyotes, skunks, racoons, also, rabbits, deer, an occasion wild hog. I have grass snakes in my yard sometimes.
As far as the lake, I have lived there since 1978 and I grew up swimming in the lake, I have NEVER seen a water moccasin in the lake. Just turtles, fish and ducks. Like I said about rattlers, I'm sure they are there but it is very rare that you will come across one.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I live on 200 acres at Medina Lake. I have never seen a rattle snake on our place (although, I'm sure they are there). Like you, all I see are coyotes, skunks, racoons, also, rabbits, deer, an occasion wild hog. I have grass snakes in my yard sometimes.
As far as the lake, I have lived there since 1978 and I grew up swimming in the lake, I have NEVER seen a water moccasin in the lake. Just turtles, fish and ducks. Like I said about rattlers, I'm sure they are there but it is very rare that you will come across one.
Thank you, that is comforting to know! When you talk to some people, they make it sound as if there are snakes EVERYWHERE . I guess some people talk about snakes in Texas just as people do about scorpions in Arizona . Yes, we have scorpions, but it isn't as if we see them everyday or let them control our lives or activities!
Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 PM

314 posts, read 1,859,791 times
We went on a joy ride up to Medina Lake today, ate at the Oasis Bar and Grill, and found a few "pay parks" around the lake that look promising. If you can't beat them, join them.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
We went on a joy ride up to Medina Lake today, ate at the Oasis Bar and Grill, and found a few "pay parks" around the lake that look promising. If you can't beat them, join them.
I guess there are worse things in life than having to pay for a clean, safe swimming and recreation area

Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM

343 posts, read 1,054,354 times
Hello,

Down at the coast at Indianola my Buddy and I were fishing from the bank at some inland coastal waters when we noticed a log moving TOWARDS us chasing a line that I was reeling in.

Sure enough, it was a GATOR following my bait all the way up out of the water. He was about 6 feet long. Not terribly big, but big enough!!

Did not know my legs could move that fast but we waited in the car for about 1/2 hour before the creature moved on and we could retrieve our tackle box, ice chest, etc...

Lived in Texas all of my life and I never realized they were here, thought they were only in Florida or the swamps of Loisiana.

Learned my lesson, beware of moving LOGS!!

crazedchef

Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hello,

Down at the coast at Indianola my Buddy and I were fishing from the bank at some inland coastal waters when we noticed a log moving TOWARDS us chasing a line that I was reeling in.

Sure enough, it was a GATOR following my bait all the way up out of the water. He was about 6 feet long. Not terribly big, but big enough!!

Did not know my legs could move that fast but we waited in the car for about 1/2 hour before the creature moved on and we could retrieve our tackle box, ice chest, etc...

Lived in Texas all of my life and I never realized they were here, thought they were only in Florida or the swamps of Loisiana.

Learned my lesson, beware of moving LOGS!!

crazedchef
All I can say is

Old 06-09-2007, 04:43 PM

343 posts, read 1,054,354 times
Hi Again,

Do not worry, it is not like these are Salt Water Crocs that are in Australia and kill hundreds of people every year.

You are in a lot more danger from the drive to where you are going than from a hungry gator.

In case you are really worried, it is not all that difficult to get a concealed carry permit!

crazedchef

in a place where you really have a reason to go
live from Baghdad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio