Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 PM

314 posts, read 2,534,135 times

Advertisements

Where do locals go to swim in a lake, creek, or river? I ask because I wanted to take my kids to a near by lake yesterday to go swimming, but I discovered that you cannot swim in most of the lakes around here. Only Canyon Lake and Lake Medina have swimming holes, but they were closed, and I think there is a fee. I took them to Landa Park last year, but that also had a small fee, and I believe it is seasonal. Are there any swimming holes (lakes, creeks, or rivers) that you can swim for free any time of the day or year within 30 miles of San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM

18 posts, read 180,072 times
Dumb question, but I am genuinely curious...is swimming in lakes safe with the alligators and water moccasins?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 PM

82 posts, read 613,079 times
From looking at google earth, I dont see much of swim areas around SA, not to mention places to take a boat. Looks like the lakes to the west of Austin have great swimming spots but that looks to be an hour drive. While looking for a place to live we thought about New Braunfel since housing market there seems good, but heard it floods. But from my reading they have 2 great river systems to swim/tube in. BTW where did you guys live up here in the NW?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimacus View Post
BTW where did you guys live up here in the NW?
I lived in Snohomish County my whole life until coming down here. Marysville, Arlington, Everett, and Lynnwood. Graduated from Arlington. My wife graduated from Mariner in Everett.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmomma View Post
Dumb question, but I am genuinely curious...is swimming in lakes safe with the alligators and water moccasins?
You got me googling. Both appear to be rare in San Antonio from what I've read.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,420,206 times
I'm fairly certain that there has been no recorded fatalities in Texas with regards to Alligator attacks. Central Texas isn't considered the usual habitat (though they could certainly live there). They mostly live up on the coast, up in East Texas. You're more likely to get killed by a drunk SWT student on an innertube.

San Antonio area has lots of great swimming holes. Especially out near the hill country. Lake Medina, Lake McQueeny, the rivers up in Bandera, New Braunfels, Wimberley, etc.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,872,045 times
This place is about an hour out of town, but it's worth the trip.
River Inn Resort: Map and Driving Direction - Your first choice for serene Texas Hill Country Getaways!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
San Antonio area has lots of great swimming holes. Especially out near the hill country. Lake Medina, Lake McQueeny, the rivers up in Bandera, New Braunfels, Wimberley, etc.

Are these places free to the public? And do they have schedules? I imagine if I drove around enough I'd find a spot to pull over and jump in, if this is the case, where's a good spot on say Lake Medina, since it's the closest lake to me? And how common are spots like that?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,619,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
Are these places free to the public? And do they have schedules? I imagine if I drove around enough I'd find a spot to pull over and jump in, if this is the case, where's a good spot on say Lake Medina, since it's the closest lake to me? And how common are spots like that?
There are a couple of "pay" places on the south side of Lake Medina. One, that is also a boat launch area charges I think $10 per carload. Another nicer one costs I think $25 per carload and is geared toward people, not boats.

Wild Texas Parks: Medina Lake County Park - Bandera, TX
Joe's Place Marina & Resort at Medina Lake, Mico Texas - Marina, Boat Launch, Swimming, Party Room Rentals, Camping, Picnicing, Fishing, Scuba Diving, Dock

Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,759,323 times
Where are you from? It sounds like you have lived in places with more water than south Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio