Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 AM

74 posts, read 148,756 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to SA from California in the next month or so. I will be working in 2 different retail locations, one will be off of I10 and De Zavala Rd, woodbridge area. The other store is on zarzamora in the columbia heights area.

i was hoping to get help on a good, safe neighborhood to get an apartment in that wouldnt be a too bad of a commute from either of those locations. I've heard that Stone Oak is a great place to live, and its only 11 miles from the woodbridge area location, but its 25 miles from the columbia heights location. are there any other nice areas to live that could be more centrally located?

and while we're on the subject...how are the woodbridge and columbia heights areas in general? I have never been to san antonio and am coming there in a week to see it for myself. but i would like to know what the good areas are so i can go check them out when i get there.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Not sure about apartments, but in general Google Maps street view is your friend here. Look up the address and check out the place from the street that way.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
The Zarzamora and Columbia Heights is an older and less safe part of the city. I think saying it has "character" is saying it nicely. I'm not a detractor of the area....I wouldn't shy away from it...but I defintetly would not be found there in the middle of the night by myself.

The De Zavala and 10 area is my pick (and I'm partial to it since I've lived there for more than 20 years). The zip codes in the area are 78249 and 78230. Expand a bit to 78240 if you really want to. You'll be plenty safe there. Driving ot the Columbia Heights area (without rush hour traffic) it will take about 25 minutes. It's a drive in SA terms but safety versus the drive...it's a decision. If you want ot cut down on the commute a bit you can look in the Medical Center area or in the Bandera/410 area which area equally as safe. I'm not quite sure what those zip codes area. The drive would be about even - 15/20 either way from those locations.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I use the Columbia Heights/Zarzamora area to commute to work instead of taking the freeway every morning and avoid the whole freeway rush hour mess. I live near Lackland work near the Alamodome and it takes me 30 minutes and it's a smooth drive. Yes, the scenery leaves a lot to be desired but if you go inside the area, some homes are well kept while some are not.
I would focus your search on the area between the two retail locations you will be working at, best to get a actual hard copy map and use thumbtacks to narrow the search area and have a apartment locator recommend some places between those two areas. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM

74 posts, read 148,756 times
How is the "sea world" area?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan08 View Post
Depends on how you define "how is". There's a lot of info in the relocation thread about the Sea World area as well.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan08 View Post
Read any of the Potranco/1604, Culebra/1604, Westcreek, Redbird Ranch, Alamo Ranch threads for info on the Sea World area. Just a heads up though, the drive to the De Zavala area will be more hectic because you'll most likely be driving in one of the busiest areas of the city (Braun/1604) or 151/410.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio