U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times

Advertisements

Loved Bombasta and the pieces I was able to actually see. Overall though...bleh. It was MAS PACKED and smelled like NIOSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Ah, The Fiesta Syndrome: A common San Antonio happening wherein ANY public event invites selling crap trinket light-up toys, pop-up fajita stands and is shoulder-to-shoulder with someone shouting 'orale!' every ten minutes.

Good to hear that they figured out parking. I don't know if centralizing all of Luminaria in Hemisphere Park was a good idea. Too much meshing of ideas, creative concept and not enough separation. Without real borders on performance art, it's tough to tell where the show begins or ends.

BN
Yup.

As expensive as it is, we need to find a way to get back to the first year, with art just bursting at the seams everywhere, spread throughout downtown. I guess we need to hit up some more companies for funding, so we can close off streets.
Though I am glad they've made use of Hemisfair park, I liked it using all of downtown. Seems that's the common thought of most downtowners.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Definitely agree that perhaps the Alamodome was needed for parking as an option.
I went to a parking spot I know was going to be empty and it sorta was; I don't try the ones I know are going to be filled close to the action. I attended around 7:30 pm.
Seems lots of people discovered Lavaca. Our street was as crowded with parked cars as during the King William Fair.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Seems lots of people discovered Lavaca. Our street was as crowded with parked cars as during the King William Fair.
I used a paid parking lot near East Commerce, don't like using residential areas for various reasons including creating a hassle for neighbors or less lighted areas. Haven't learned how to parallel park in all these years, lol.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Yup.

As expensive as it is, we need to find a way to get back to the first year, with art just bursting at the seams everywhere, spread throughout downtown. I guess we need to hit up some more companies for funding, so we can close off streets.
Though I am glad they've made use of Hemisfair park, I liked it using all of downtown. Seems that's the common thought of most downtowners.

I like how you phrased that... 'Bursting at the seams.' That's a great visual for what this event should be. If you pack in this kind of creativity, you run the risk of it all being grouped into one big ball of colorful silliness and lose the meaning behind any of it. After all, some of these folks who present it are actual artists who want to convey something to the public. With some separation by spreading it out properly, I think you have an overall better effect with the public.

You're right on about finding more sponsors. HEB, QVC, Wells Fargo, The Pace Foundation (ArtPACE), etc. We have more than enough money in this town to make this a major event or even hold it more than once a year. Perhaps like an Art Basel, we can do it seasonally.

Wishful thinking perhaps. Saying Art Basel and San Antonio in the same sentence? Am I high?

BN

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
This years Luminaria was very well done. It must have been packed judging by the traffic but it felt mostly spacious throughout with a surplus of elbow room.

They made great use of the HemisFair park. Two years ago it was empty with everything squeezed toward Alamo St. The fountains were empty then as well as the whole area under the Tower.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM

Going to be hard to decide between the final acts tonight: Rattletree Marimba, Ashlee Rose, Pop Pistol, and Bleep Attack!

The San Antonio Choral Society will perform at 11pm too.

I think they are going to have pizza this year too! Last year I bought one off some guy hawking them from one of those insulated delivery bags.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Difficult decision since I've seen two live and have been wanting to see the other two as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,683 times
Interesting evening at Luminaria.

It's gotten huge... But the infrastructure for it needs to grow along with it. Enjoyed many things I saw tonight, but the whole event felt disjointed with focus far too much on food tents and not enough on the art that makes it an evening of artist's work. Basically, they've found a way to turn it into NIOSA or just another Fiesta-like event. Hope that changes a bit next year.

All in all, it was a well-attended event. That was great to see

BN

Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Interesting evening at Luminaria.

It's gotten huge... But the infrastructure for it needs to grow along with it. Enjoyed many things I saw tonight, but the whole event felt disjointed with focus far too much on food tents and not enough on the art that makes it an evening of artist's work. Basically, they've found a way to turn it into NIOSA or just another Fiesta-like event. Hope that changes a bit next year.

All in all, it was a well-attended event. That was great to see

BN
Agreed. I love Luminaria. I love that we have it. I love that the city is dedicated to making it happen year after year. I still am not happy with the layout. It' so packed into HemisFair, that it does feel like NIOSA - and we were there early. I actually didn't go by the food tents, but just trying to walk through to see various installations was hard.

I still want it back to the streets.

For those with kids, though, I highly recommend Pie to the People at La Villita next year. The art workshops generally run from 1-5 and are fabulous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio