U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM

873 posts, read 1,081,563 times

Advertisements

The movie 8 Seconds had recognizable scenes of the Sun Harvest parking lot on Callaghan & also the music store with the big piano sign at babcock (or banderra?) and Loop 410.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
The movie "Selena" was shot on parts of south flores street where it meets with nogalitos. Not to mention shot at the alamo and at the alamodome.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
I also believe the movie Mi Vida Loca was shot on keller st. there has been a lot of confusion as to the name of the movie. There was a letter that went out to the people who lived on the street that the name was Party Girl. Im not for sure but if you do know let me know. I lived on the street and want to see my nhose on the big screen.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,172,582 times
During the early 90's movie called Lost Angels was mostly shot in SA during. He movie had Donald Sutherland in it, and the lead singer from the Beasty Boys. Shooting locations included:

Elm Creek (they drove a car into the swiming pool at Don Strange's house)
Crownridge
church of the Little Flower
A few locations on San Pedro (near Ramsey)

Check it out.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

284 posts, read 501,797 times
"Rolling Thunder" shot in what is now the Generations Credit Union, not Sunset Station. It was the former I & GN depot, and in total disrepair when "Thunder" filmed. "The Getaway" did film at Sunset Depot.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM

5,569 posts, read 9,609,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenv86 View Post
I also believe the movie Mi Vida Loca was shot on keller st. there has been a lot of confusion as to the name of the movie. There was a letter that went out to the people who lived on the street that the name was Party Girl. Im not for sure but if you do know let me know. I lived on the street and want to see my nhose on the big screen.
I worked on that film for a few days. My roommate in college was one of the stunt guys. Good crew. I never saw the film.

Alright my little claim to fame here...my roommate ended up becoming Tom Cruise's personal stuntman for all his films. He was a cool friend and I got on a lot of movie sets because of him. I also went on to work on films such as Pearl Harbor, The Alamo, We Were Soldiers, etc. I was attending Film school at UT-Austin and dropped out of that it because my real film school was free.

Btw, I eventually quit the movie biz and started my own biz. Did I make the right decision? I don't know! For some reason I didn't enjoy the movie biz as much as I thought I was going to.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Part of the problem with filmmaking instruction (both HS and college level), is that it doesn't emphasize the tedious and extremely stressful aspect of making a film or TV show. Every student thinks that they're going to direct, and go to Sundance (blah, blah, blah) - they don't have a clue of what the industry is really like, till they get out there and try it.

"Party Girl" was eventually renamed "Living the Life", and went direct to video/DVD.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,609,847 times
True. But in defense of film school, I got to meet a lot of people and the networking opportunities were fantastic. If I had never gone, I would not have been able to meet and work with the people I did. We also had various film festivals and we would have celebrities like Harry Knowles and film producers show up and judge our films. I remember I got 2nd place for my film. Got an "awesome job!" letter from Knowles and some cinematographer from FLY AWAY HOME, THE PATRIOT, and NATIONAL TREASURE voted mine as best cinematography It was a hoot. Robert Rodriguez came and taught a couple of our classes and showed us some sneak peeks of his films in progress.

Overall, a great experience. I wonder how I would've made out if I kept at it.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM

Overall, though, it is NOT a preparation for the industry. I know - I did it, too. Also, film festivals should not be such an integral part of the film school experience. Taking films to festivals is not indicative of what the industry is about - it's just a sideline, that gets too much media attention. I watched film school students attempt to "intern" on some films i worked on, and it was hilarious. They didn't want to do any hard work. "But all I want to do is direct, and go to Sundance."...that kind of cliché. Rodriguez is great, but he has his own system of filmmaking which runs counter to the standard. Making films is film school is nothing like working on an actual feature. It's a great primer, I suppose, but should not be taken for more than that.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM

99,347 posts, read 26,299,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I just ordered "The Sugarland Express" does anyone know how much of it was shot in san Antonio?
The scene with the RV at the used car lot was done at Ascot and S.W.Military Drive. Old car lot used to be there across Ascot from the Mc Donald's, which is where Spotted Horse Restaurant was at time of filming. Our church was right behind the car lot and is seen along with the screen of Loop 13 Drive in!! Someone said the film showing was one done by producer or someone working with Spielberg. I was probably 20 feet from Spielberg if he was at the filming near my home. Peterson and Forsen streets was where the local Sheriff Ben Johnson was backing out of his garage. My cousins and I lived next door to each other back then. We were standing in their back yard right on the corner. We watched the filming the car came down the drive and the light bar fell of the roof of the car. Forget if that was left in film!! The house belonged to a San Antonio Police Officer at the time. He was a good friend of mine. The house was built by South San H.S. students. Some of my friends and cousins cars are in the movie !! Somehow my car avoided the Camera!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio