Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 PM

40 posts, read 136,114 times

Advertisements

I remember the Jim's Froniter on Fredericksburg Rd and Club, near Jefferson High School. They had the best onion rings, glad that Jim's kept those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM

44 posts, read 124,477 times
Remeber austin highway back in the day? Jim's frontier, seven oaks resort with the par 3 golf course, the outdoor flea market, and a real long time ago a auto race track.

What is there now? A lowes, a walmart, and an apartment complex. How sad!!!!!!!

And the other side of the street, aloha inn motel (great swimming pool), shakey's pizza, terrell hills shopping center.

What is there now? Sonic restaurant, the original shakey's building never reopened but has been kept up very nicely, and i hear all of terrell hills shopping center except for the new earl abel's location is to be torn down. Again, how sad!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
In the area of Jim's on Austin Hwy, I don't remember the race track on Austin Hwy...I remember Austin Hwy being the dragstrip in the late sixties, early seventies.....Just like the Jim's on Goliad Rd was the place to meet and then drag race out Military Drive, Old Corpus Christi Hwy or IH 37 in its' infancy....And I went to Seven Oaks when it had a club and was by there the next day after it burned....Remember the Tee Pee restaurant farther north? Elderly lady was hostess(owner?) and white linen cloth tables....Pretty good steak if I remember correctly.

And I'm going to have to disagree with BudB, which is probably a huge mistake, but I don't think the Frontier on Goliad Rd was ever the Flame. I think it was always a Frontier. I'm gonna check it out......

If you've ever seen the movie Hollywood Knights or American Graffitti. That's really kinda, sorta, what it was like....

Last edited by RGJ; 03-11-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
RGJ

Frontier on Goliad is where the Highlands crowd hung out and The Flame is mostly where the Harlandale/McCullum(sp?) crowd hung out....I remember one night when there was going to be this huge fight between Harlandale and Highlands. A lot of people drove from the Frontier to the Flame, but nothing happened.....

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM

44 posts, read 124,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj View Post
in the area of jim's on austin hwy, i don't remember the race track on austin hwy...i remember austin hwy being the dragstrip in the late sixties, early seventies.....just like the jim's on goliad rd was the place to meet and then drag race out military drive, old corpus christi hwy or ih 37 in its' infancy....and i went to seven oaks when it had a club and was by there the next day after it burned....remember the tee pee restaurant farther north? Elderly lady was hostess(owner?) and white linen cloth tables....pretty good steak if i remember correctly.

And i'm going to have to disagree with budb, which is probably a huge mistake, but i don't think the frontier on goliad rd was ever the flame. I think it was always a frontier. I'm gonna check it out......

If you've ever seen the movie "hollywood knights". That's kinda, sorta, what it was like....
the racetrack was way back in the back of the properties, almost back to where the current subdivision is now, behind the old flea market property.

I also remember the day that seven oaks burned, i still think that was an insurance job by the then owners. Do you remember a few years ago when k.t.s.a.'s old original building on eisenhauer burned? That was a sad day in n.e. Side history as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
RGJ

I remember the KTSA building burning...but hate to age you, it wasn't "a few years ago". More like 20+???

Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
RGJ

And not to hijack this thread, but I will. I remember being awake early one morning "a few years back" and seeing live coverage of the Municipal Auditorium ablaze. I got in my car and drove down there. Couldn't believe it. Probably the best live music venue in San Antonio even still to this day.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I remember the KTSA building burning...but hate to age you, it wasn't "a few years ago". More like 20+???
The old KTSA building burned in May 2007.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
RGJ

really? My how time blurs....I thought it was much longer ago than that.....Maybe I was thinking about when they vacated the old building and built the new one

Last edited by RGJ; 03-11-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,213 times
Nothing like the old Frontier Drive-In on Broadway. You could smell those burgers for blocks! THey far surpassed ANY burgers served at a Jim's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio