Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

I try not to use plastic bags. When grocery shopping, I ask for paper. There goes all my not-recyclable trash. Unfortunately in some places you cannot get paper-bags for your purchases. I collect all bags in one bag, tie together and put into the brown bin.
Blue bin contains only stuff to be recycled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 52,410 times
what happen to big slide behind wonderland mall

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin63 View Post
what happen to big slide behind wonderland mall
... in the brown bin...

Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 PM

42 posts, read 214,153 times
It wasn't until today that I was notified of the replies to my initial post. Sorry if I appeared to be a slacker; I just didn't know! I must not be doing something right...

Anyway, this is great information. And, Primo, I normally would have looked something like this up, but I wanted to read what people had actually experienced.

I do get why we are asked to put garbage in plastic bags; it's more sanitary, easier for the workers, etc., but it still seems like a bad idea to even more plastic bags into the already-overloaded landfills. I am a bit OCD, and of course my garbage doesn't stink! I end up with several grocery store bags full by the end of the week, so that's what's in my brown bin -- well, that and several newspaper bags full of doggy doody. I give all of my produce scraps to the family next door so they can compost them.

I'm old enough to remember the world before plastic, but I can't remember what we did with our trash back then. Greasy paper bags, maybe?

[A friend of mine who just got on the brown & blue bin program said that her instructions said she couldn't recycle paper towels. Is this true?]

Seems I heard about a month ago that Washington D.C. flat-out quit allowing the retail use of plastic bags, period. Not a bad idea.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
What's crazy are the people that DO NOT RECYCLE. I think I'm the only one that uses the blue bin on my street. Suckers.

FWIW - if you lived on my street, you might think we didn't recycle, since we only place our bin out about 1x/month (unless we happened to have had a party the weekend prior - i.e. lots of bottles). That's not because we don't recycle. We do. We recycle EVERYTHING pretty much. It's because we just don't fill up the bin very often, despite recycling everything. We could also get away with not putting the trash bin out any more than once/month or 6 weeks, except the trash tends to smell a bit more so we aim to do it at least every 2-3 weeks even if it's only half full.

We just don't generate that much waste, recyclable or otherwise, because we focus on the first 2 Rs (Reduce and Reuse) of the 3 Rs as much as possible

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

284 posts, read 1,086,956 times
Paper towels are not accepted for recycling. The cardboard paper towel rolls are acceptable.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM

134 posts, read 384,694 times
We fill up our blue bin every week and our brown bin every 2 or 3 weeks. If you are putting out your brown one out more than the blue, you probably aren't recycling everything the city allows. The average home can recycle 60% to 70% of their trash. I wanted to do more, so my parents who live in a non recycling area north of town have started collecting their recycling to put in our bin. Also I keep a small recycle bin at work and take it home when full.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Almost all of my neighbors put the blue bins out each week. I bet they are throwing trash in the blue bins. I don't know, but it was suggested that is what is happening. I wouldn't doubt it. They throw their couches and broken furniture out on the street too. Not when they are supposed to, mind you. Just.....whenever...... LOL

Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM

218 posts, read 501,382 times
I noticed that the waste site now says no styrofoam. This used to be allowed because I remember it was a topic of discussion at work after they started. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I try not to use plastic bags. When grocery shopping, I ask for paper. There goes all my not-recyclable trash. Unfortunately in some places you cannot get paper-bags for your purchases. I collect all bags in one bag, tie together and put into the brown bin.
Blue bin contains only stuff to be recycled.

Canvas bags are even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio