Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:45 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Instead of making a new thread, I thought I would post an question here regarding the city bin system.

I have a new neighbor that has 4 brown, 2 green, 2 blue bins (that I know of). At least half of them sit at the curb all week then they swap them out with the other half. For the past two months, they leave at least 4 or 5 bins on the curb at all times for the past two months since they moved in. Why they need that many bins confuses me too.

Is this a code violation? I tried looking it up online but couldn't find anything specific to my question. I know some HOA prohibit this kind of behavior but we don't have a HOA. None of the other neighbors do this and a couple of them are annoyed about it just as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Instead of making a new thread, I thought I would post an question here regarding the city bin system.

I have a new neighbor that has 4 brown, 2 green, 2 blue bins (that I know of). At least half of them sit at the curb all week then they swap them out with the other half. For the past two months, they leave at least 4 or 5 bins on the curb at all times for the past two months since they moved in. Why they need that many bins confuses me too.

Is this a code violation? I tried looking it up online but couldn't find anything specific to my question. I know some HOA prohibit this kind of behavior but we don't have a HOA. None of the other neighbors do this and a couple of them are annoyed about it just as I am.
My understanding is that the City Of San Antonio will provide an additional green and blue bin upon request, at no additional charge. Additional brown bins can be provided, but there is an additional $18.69 monthly charge for each additional brown bin, in addition to the ~$22 standard monthly fee.

So, your neighbor should be paying a hefty $80 or so total monthly fee for solid waste services.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
My understanding is that the City Of San Antonio will provide an additional green and blue bin upon request, at no additional charge. Additional brown bins can be provided, but there is an additional $18.69 monthly charge for each additional brown bin, in addition to the ~$22 standard monthly fee.

So, your neighbor should be paying a hefty $80 or so total monthly fee for solid waste services.
The issue isn't really the amount of bins but the fact they leave 4 or 5 of them on the curb at all times. They never bring them up to the house until the day before collection day when they just swap them out with the other bins that are at the house thus repeating the cycle all over again. It has been going on for two months now.

It is weird since it is just two people living in that house.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:00 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Kinda surprised that someone hasn't wheeled 'em up to the house for 'em.....

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Wouldn't that be trespassing?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Kinda surprised that someone hasn't wheeled 'em up to the house for 'em.....
Funny you say that. I don't know who did it but someone tossed them on their front yard this morning or last night to make a statement I guess. Not something I would do but I guess someone got fed up.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Exactly why I haven't done what TRN suggested. I did do it for the previous owner of the house a few times but he was 94 years old and I asked him if he needed help first which he always accepted.

These new owners make no effort to meet the neighbors and don't answer their door when home.

I am not going to move their trash cans without their permission and shouldn't have to. They are perfectly capable late 30's or early 40's aged couple.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Have you asked them?

Sometimes I don't bring my bin back in the same day (usually, because I got home late, have the kids and my hands full and forget - we're on a corner so the bins are often on the other side where I don't walk past them). My lovely neighbor often brings them up to the gate of the driveway for me. (Well, not often as I don't leave them out all the time, but it's probably once a month at least one bin gets left out more than a day.)

Maybe they do that so people don't park in front of their house? I know there are some people who don't like strangers parking on a public street.....

Should be easy enough to find out if it's a code violation (check the COSA page), or call your councilperson.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Not if the property isn't posted with a "no trespassing" sign.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

Assuming they didnt just pick up a few from empty houses. It isnt like the guy driving the truck would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio