Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the City do with the property?
Lease to the University of the Incarnate Word 7 14.89%
Honor 1979 Commitment to the SA Zoo 40 85.11%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Fine - US 281 sans part of it through San Antonio. The author's semantics on the highway system are off though. The familiar black / white shield signed highways aren't interstates but are still considered the US Highway system. Paid for with federal funds and built to federal standards. However, that has nothing to do with designating a highway US vs. Interstate. It appears that it was going to be Hwy 281 all along vs. I-37.

The San Antonio Area Freeway System - US 281 North
Excellent post And I remember a lot of this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I kind of wonder what would've happened if they threw their hands up and said "Fine!," and just ended the road where the controversy stopped. Endless traffic would've ensued through whatever area protested.

Either way, I like the curves because a car with a good suspension can be a whole lot of fun going through there...

Anyway, go zoo expansion! IMO it's a good quality zoo, better than a lot of others I've seen.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
RGJ

I can remember when a lot of politicians and people on the southside were encouraged to support IH 37/281 to provide access to all the things on the northside for the people who lived on the southside. An astute banker at the time(Highland Park Bank) and several others were of the opinion that all it would do is kill retail on the southside and provide an exodus. It did both.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I kind of wonder what would've happened if they threw their hands up and said "Fine!," and just ended the road where the controversy stopped. Endless traffic would've ensued through whatever area protested.
Agreed. I think 281 represents a good compromise where everyone had to give up something. The State had to choose a less convenient (i.e. more expensive) route and the People had to give up parkland. The result is one of the most beautiful entries into a city with the unveiling of downtown as you make that curve being very dramatic. Maybe a lesson should be learned from it - good and thoughtful design, though perhaps more expensive initially, always pays off.

Oh, and yes... go zoo expansion.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
In the article, it states "Agnese said the life of a building is about 30 years, and the city could take another look at it at that time."

Is that for real? Buildings are only expected to last for 30 years? I'd think one would aim to build something with a little more long term use.

Definitely need to keep the property in public hands. I am a supporter of the zoo (Family membership, we go often), and I think we need more public green space, not less. That particular area is worth preserving.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Default 281 and Villa Finale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It would seem to me that the area that 281 runs thru had some pretty expensive homes considering that Olmos Park homes are there. What were the homes like that were demolished to make room for the 281? Were they fancy, average, middle class. Which neighborhoods of today did they most resemble?
Just an interesting aside since you mentioned the types of homes that were razed......the 281 project was sort of the impetus that set in motion the revitalization of the King William area. Walter Nold Mathis is one of the people who lost his home on Mulberry because of the highway construction. O'Neal Ford actually pointed out the house to him that was to become "Villa Finale"....his last home. He eventually purchased about 12 more homes in King William to restore. Walter passed away a few years ago, and his home in King William is at present being turned into a museum and is still under construction.
The main office and information center is a block or so away and open for business. The museum is scheduled to open around the end of the year.

The significance of this house is on a monumental scale. Villa Finale is the ONLY property in the state of Texas that is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Think about that for a sec.....ALL OF TEXAS.

Sorry for the hijack....but the debate and eventual construction of the 281 did bring about good things.....it didn't just take away.

btw - I don't know anything about the house on Mulberry, other than Walter did not get rich from it's loss. He was independently wealthy from many ventures and a highly decorated WWII Veteran.

Last edited by wCat; 03-12-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
RGJ

Zoo won!

Zoo wins: UIW won't get slice of Brackenridge (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/Zoo_wins_UIW_wont_get_slice_of_Brackenridge.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 PM

417 posts, read 982,662 times
Yay maaaay be...they'll get a new friend for the boyfriendless elephant??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio