U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,869,801 times

Advertisements

I only moved to San Antonio about a year and a half ago and didn't venture out to much of Fiesta last year (just the Battle of Flowers Parade and the King William Fair) so I have a question...

NIOSA runs Tuesday to Friday (April 20-23). Are all nights pretty much equally crowded beyond belief? I figure Friday is a lost cause but what about the other nights. All the same or does it get progressively more crowded as the week goes on? I'm not opposed to going on a Tuesday to check it out. I don't mind crowds but when it gets to the point that you literally can't move, I'd rather stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:47 AM

6,274 posts, read 9,039,701 times
Usually, Tuesday/Wednesday is best - but it's gonna be crowded 'most every night - this town does love ta party!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM

3,471 posts, read 17,279,846 times
Go when it first opens and plan to stay about 2 hours before it gets crazy crowded. You get to enjoy the food and atmosphere and get out before the crowds turn into a sea of people.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,327,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Go when it first opens and plan to stay about 2 hours before it gets crazy crowded. You get to enjoy the food and atmosphere and get out before the crowds turn into a sea of people.
Perfect advice. I used to go every year, but haven't been in the last 4. The older I get, the less I enjoy being crammed into a box with 10000 of my closest drunk friends.

Early Tues and Weds is best. You can get in, get some awesome food, have a beer and roll out of there before it gets insane.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM

824 posts, read 1,605,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
+1 on this advice.

Also, don't forget to check out Cornyation, the Charreada (Mexican Rodeo), and Beethoven Hall's Gartenfest party.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,741,857 times
Avoid Thursday. That has traditionally been "college night". Enought said.

As with any of the "party type" events.....go early as others have suggested. The hardcore party people usually head out later in the evening. Keep in mind NIOSA does close at 10pm....which they did intentionally to reduce the crowded wild abandon....that last hour is still pretty crazy, however.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 101,404 times
If you plan on doing any drinking, perhaps you may consider booking a hotel room downtown on the night you go. My wife and I usually get a room at the Hilton next door to NIOSA. We've done this for the last four or five years and have absolutely no problem with the extra expense. There's no traffic or drunk drivers to deal with and you can take advantage of some of the other night life in the area.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,869,801 times
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll probably end up going early on Wednesday (forgot I have a church thing that Tuesday) and stay for 2 or 3 hours. I imagine I'll just do the VIA park & ride 'cause it's very convenient to where I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio