U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:49 PM

320 posts, read 936,615 times

Advertisements

I've got some family (kids and adults) coming in Thursday or Friday and wanted to steer them around horribly crowded places so I'd appreciate some feedback on any of these popular destinations.

Sea World:
- A kids favorite of course, but are the long traffic lines mentioned in another post indicative of long waiting lines at the rides?

Fiesta Texas:
- Same scenario as Sea World?

Natural Bridge Caverns:
- We've never been there, but are there lines around this time because you have to wait for a guided tour?

Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch:
- We waited a tolerable 20 minutes one regular Saturday just to get to the admissions gate. Is it much worse during Spring Break?

Guadalupe State Park:
- The park is large enough for everyone to spread out, but are there ever long lines just to get through the gate?

Zoo:
- I know parking can be a problem, but I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes in line to get in. What about on a Spring Break Friday morning?

Witte Museum:
- It seems like this confined area can get easily crowded and I've seen lines snaking all the way outside.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 PM

580 posts, read 1,280,144 times
Coming into the zoo from the 281 exit onto St. Mary's looks like a NIGHTMARE. I drove by there at about 2pm today, and the line was backed up all the way onto the highway, with multiple police directing traffic. When I drove by that intersection on Sunday, I didn't even bother trying to get off. It looked like it was backed up about a quarter mile, at least. I asked the cops today, and they said that it's always like that during Spring Break.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,288,124 times
Anywhere in or near Brackenridge Park and the Witte Museum is crowded. The zoo is packed and it's actually the busiest time of the year for the zoo. The Witte has been packed all weekend. Even the Botanical Gardens looks to be packed. People were parking on the side streets near the gardens.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,188,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
Guadalupe State Park:
- The park is large enough for everyone to spread out, but are there ever long lines just to get through the gate?
Yes. There is grassy overflow parking that fills up quickly. Good thing is that the water is still flippin' cold!!!! The vehicular traffic is not nearly as bad as places like Enchanted Rock and Garner State Park.

I was talking to a friend of mine up at TPWD this morning and he told me that the camping reservations and day use over the coming months will be way higher than average. People have had it with the winter and they are getting out of doors (which is quite a good thing).

If you want to take them to a state park, I would recommend driving the extra distance to Pedernales Falls.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,527,676 times
We just camped this past weekend at Perdernales Falls so I would second that! It wasn't to crowded! I was wondering myself about Six Flags. I had two friends who went to the zoo today and said it was not fun, very crowded!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM

667 posts, read 1,407,263 times
Any zoo updates today? I'd think the rain would have thinned out the crowd but who knows. Dh was going to take DD but decided against it due to rain and went to NBC Wildlife Ranch instead. It isn't crowded today, he reports.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM

604 posts, read 1,372,467 times
Took my kidos to the zoo yesterday...HUGE mistake! The kids didnt even want to wait in that line. We went over to the Witte instead, just incase you dont know this, there is a side entrance that had a very short line compared to the front entrance. The Witte was great, I was glad we made the change.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

188 posts, read 490,733 times
I drove past the zoo yesterday, and it looked like a nightmare. The Witte also had a huge line. We went to Sea World on Sunday morning, which was also madness. Luckily, we got there early and left before it was unbearable. I was going to try to take my son somewhere for an adventure yesterday, but I just couldn't stomach the crowds. We went to San Pedro Park instead, and we had a ball there!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

181 posts, read 544,920 times
We went to Sea World last night from 6-8 or so and it was very busy. Most people were on the way out but it was still very, very busy. We were hoping to do a morning again later this week but if it's anything like it was last night (+more because of the mornings), I'm not so sure.

Sometimes they unlock the front gates an hour before opening time and you can see things at the front of the park, arriving for something like that and then staying until it gets busy and leaving might be a good option?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,507 times
My son works at Six Flags and it was pretty dead yesterday (probably the weather). They are expecting huge crowds for the rest of the week. Everyone gotta have that 14 dollar souvenir cup ya know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio