U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,813 posts, read 33,115,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
Would that apple to those in an unheated garage?
That's where mine is... right next to an outside wall. I might give it a blanket and let some water run.

Quote:
Wondering about my hot water heater
My guess would be that a water heater should be less prone to freezing, since it has the heat from the burner and the heat from the water to protect it. The cold water pipes going into it might be vulnerable, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM

324 posts, read 1,166,537 times
HELP!

Can anyone advise on what to do with pipes, etc in an unheated attached garage? Our water heater is out there, and all pipes come into the house there. We have a concrete floor and pipes are put in it. Should I leave faucets dripping, etc?

And can I get away with not covering hose faucets on the outside of the house? All are external walls, one is just the faucet in the rock wall, other has a pipe that goes about 2 inches out from wall and then about 12 inches up to faucet {I know - NOT the best way to do it!}

Can't afford a plumber right now - I'd shut off the house water all together except this house has no shut-off valve except the saws one at the street.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Looks like it'll be too windy for any sprinklers to be effective tomorrow... telling the wife to cycle the system tonight.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Looks like it'll be too windy for any sprinklers to be effective tomorrow... telling the wife to cycle the system tonight.
The front is supposed to go through at 3 or 4 AM. I don't think we'll be in the 20s until overnight on Thursday.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Warnings for Bexar, Texas : Weather Underground

Quote:
Wind Advisory
Statement as of 1:48 PM CST on January 06, 2010

...Wind Advisory in effect from 6 am to 6 PM CST Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Austin/San Antonio has issued a
Wind Advisory...which is in effect from 6 am to 6 PM CST
Thursday.

Northerly winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 40 mph will occur
on Thursday...following the passage of the Arctic cold front.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 26 to 39 mph are
expected.

Motorists should exercise caution while driving in the Wind
Advisory area. Be alert to sudden gusts of wind which may cause
you to lose control of your vehicle. Extra attention should be
given to cross winds.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM

There's good advice on how to prepare for the "Arctic Blast" in this blog article at KSAT.

Arctic Blast On The Way! Broken News @ KSAT.com

Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,286,853 times
I'm originally from Michigan and the only time we worried about the pipes was when it was COLD and that's not San Antonio cold, I'm talking well below zero cold. I personally would not worry about it here, especially in a garage. The coldest my garage has got was in the upper 40s. If you're really worried, though, turn the water off at the SAWS line. It's just a simple valve, but don't go all the way. It's one of those 90 degree off valves. 180 in either direction is on. I learned that last year

BTW, that's just my opinion, not expert advice.

BTW2, when they hype the weather like this, they're almost always wrong.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,681,861 times
Somebody could run how many low temperatures below freezing... Some years we don't have any, looks like five this week though....

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,171,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm originally from Michigan and the only time we worried about the pipes was when it was COLD and that's not San Antonio cold, I'm talking well below zero cold. I personally would not worry about it here, especially in a garage. The coldest my garage has got was in the upper 40s. If you're really worried, though, turn the water off at the SAWS line. It's just a simple valve, but don't go all the way. It's one of those 90 degree off valves. 180 in either direction is on. I learned that last year

BTW, that's just my opinion, not expert advice.

BTW2, when they hype the weather like this, they're almost always wrong.
Your pipes in Michigan are most likely fairly insulated within the structure; here in TX you won't see that. People here definitely need to wrap pipes if they are outside. We had temps in the upper teens in Houston about 15 years ago, and people's pipes all over froze and cracked. Open all cabinet doors near an outside wall that house piping, i.e. bathrooms, etc in order to allow the heat from the house to enter.

Be aware folks. Better to over-do it than under, IMHO!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Your pipes in Michigan are most likely fairly insulated within the structure; here in TX you won't see that. People here definitely need to wrap pipes if they are outside. We had temps in the upper teens in Houston about 15 years ago, and people's pipes all over froze and cracked. Open all cabinet doors near an outside wall that house piping, i.e. bathrooms, etc in order to allow the heat from the house to enter.

Be aware folks. Better to over-do it than under, IMHO!
He probably had heat tape (or something similar) ...we had the same thing in NY and NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or