U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 AM

3,542 posts, read 7,521,824 times

Advertisements

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/6...dard3_anim.gif

Man this radar is pure beauty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM

There's no doubt that rain is on the way.. and a lot of it!

If you live in the Hill Country (Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, Blanco Area), there is an increasing tornado threat out ahead of the storms. Large hail has also been reported east of San Angelo.

These storms will push through San Antonio by dawn bringing with them strong winds, heavy rain, and the potential for hail. Severe thunderstorm watch shall be posted shortly

Old 04-27-2008, 04:12 AM

Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect for all of South-Central Texas until 12:00PM CDT. This includes the Austin/San Antonio/Del Rio metro areas.

The worst of the storms as of 5:00AM are in San Saba and entering Llano counties. There is a bowing segment capable of producing hail, damaging winds, and flash flooding. In McCulloch county east of San Angelo, this complex produced 3" of rain in under an hour.

More cells are forming in Blanco and Travis counties and merging with the bowing segment. The general movement of these storms are to the east at approximatly 30 miles per hour.

There is another line where the cold front is well off to the north just south of Abilene. Storms here could intensify shortly as it pushes towards our area and at the moment, I believe this line will be our best shot for some rain.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,280,148 times
Think I'll be taking my daughter's SUV out today.. highest ground clearance, freshest tires, and lots of dead weight

Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 AM

Good idea... I'm looking at the radar and it looks like a line is trying to get going just south of San Angelo.

I've been up all night tracking the storms as I'm helping a local chaser with a storm in Blanco/Llano counties. He clocked a gust of 52 mph and barely missed the hail core. Those storms have moved into the San Marcos region.

Meanwhile for us the line is trying to get going to our north south of San Angelo... it looks like it is gaining strength and should produce heavy rain, lightning, and possible small hail when it arrives probably getting close to 10-11am.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 AM

7,628 posts, read 14,329,907 times
Thanks for keeping up posted Anthony...I have come to rely on your great info! Be warned tho, I really DON'T think you will make it in the weather business....alll the other weather men are going to gang up on you since you seem to be the ONLY one of them that gets it right!!! For years I have told my husband "how come these folks can be wrong all the time and we continue to hang on their every word?" NOW, finally I have a weatherman I can COUNT on! Thanks much for keeping the rain away for our shindig last night!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,280,148 times
I'm the one that only ordered the rain. Hail and high winds can go elsewhere. I'd also prefer the roads at least stay driveable.. I have to go around Ingram Park Mall and we know how bad some of those spots can get. Need the power to stay on all day too. It's kinda hard to get a tattoo without electricity and I don't need half of one..

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Thanks for keeping up posted Anthony...I have come to rely on your great info! Be warned tho, I really DON'T think you will make it in the weather business....alll the other weather men are going to gang up on you since you seem to be the ONLY one of them that gets it right!!! For years I have told my husband "how come these folks can be wrong all the time and we continue to hang on their every word?" NOW, finally I have a weatherman I can COUNT on! Thanks much for keeping the rain away for our shindig last night!
Wow thanks... I don't know what to say. You've made me blush!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm the one that only ordered the rain. Hail and high winds can go elsewhere. I'd also prefer the roads at least stay driveable.. I have to go around Ingram Park Mall and we know how bad some of those spots can get. Need the power to stay on all day too. It's kinda hard to get a tattoo without electricity and I don't need half of one..
9 times out of 10, storms that arrive at 10am are not severe and end up just being heavy rain makers at best. Hopefully that is the case since we could use a good soaking. That being said, we're working with a powerful cold front for this time of year and we do have a lot of instability. While we won't see anything too destructive, I still believe the storms will be on the heavy side once they get to SA.

Behind the front, temps will be very cool today with highs in the upper 60s, and if we get enough sunshine, we'll reach 70.

Tonight with clearing skies and very dry air, we'll cool down to record low temperatures in the mid 40s. The rest of the week is looking nice.

And dare I go into the long range... the weather is looking beautiful for the next few days until a front moves through Friday. The models aren't picking up any precip associated with it, but you can never rule it out.. especially 6 days out.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 AM

Here's the latest from the NWS:

Quote:
NOW...
...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 241 IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CDT TODAY...

THROUGH 7 AM...OCCASIONAL LIGHT RAIN WILL MOVE EAST AT 30 MPH...
FOLLOWED BY AN INCREASING CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS
FROM THE NORTHWEST ALONG A COLD FRONT. THE SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH ACROSS THE
AREA LATER THIS MORNING. SOME OF THE STORMS MAY BECOME
SEVERE...WITH HAIL AND STRONG WINDS. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN
IS ALSO POSSIBLE. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF ONE HALF TO ONE INCH IS
EXPECTED...WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.

$$
I don't think it will be as strong as they are saying for our area at the moment.

Anyway I'm gonna go catch some sleep now that the spotters are out of harms way. Night/Morning all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or