Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Better bring in my potted geraniums then....darn things keep blowing over in the wind!
That name is too funny. Unfortunately, I am in the throws of a KrispyKreme addiction with no hope of recovery. Hmmm...hungry I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

634 posts, read 2,921,860 times
Line of storms coming our way as we speak!

Let's just hope it doesn't break before it gets here so we can get some rain!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
I would love to see some storms, but they never materialize. I wonder if all of the weather moving north of us this year has anything to do with the story I read today about the jet stream moving northward as a possible result of climate change.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Just checked two different weather radars and all I can say is "batten down the hatches". There is a line of thunderstorms from Del Rio, Tx to the NE part of Oklahoma moving eastward. The storms are hitting Junction, Tx at this time and we may get slapped pretty good here as well.

That is all.....

Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I would love to see some storms, but they never materialize. I wonder if all of the weather moving north of us this year has anything to do with the story I read today about the jet stream moving northward as a possible result of climate change.

No way you can draw any inference about climate change from such a short dry spell. As far as dry spells go this one has not been going on very long.

Trying to draw conclusions on 1 or 2 years of weather will make you look like all the people who jumped on the catastrophic increase in Hurricane activity bandwagon due to climate change a couple of years ago.

Hurricane expert reconsiders global warming's impact | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

If we do go into a serious drought someone is going to have to explain why the drought is due to climate change, and not similar factors to the 1950s drought (whatever those were, but I doubt it was "climate change" as it is described now).

Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
The National Weather Service has activated the storm spotters.... so that means that the weather will get a little fun tonight.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch to our west, we have a line of storms moving in our direction.. I haven't looped the radar, but my best guess is that they'll be here probably by around midnight.

Expect heavy rain, gusty winds (50-60 mph max) and isolated pockets of small hail. Tornado threat should be minimal as most of these storms are linear.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
That approaching line of TS actually goes all the way up into Wisconsin....

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
In a few months when it decides to rain 20 inches in 2 months, that will be attributed to climate change.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Better bring in my potted geraniums then....darn things keep blowing over in the wind!
Tried to +rep ya, but apparently it's too soon! Thanks for the reminder.
I managed to get my hands on some of those grape-smelling tree seed pod things and planted a few and actually have a seedling of a tree growing in a pot! I couldn't believe it! Darn thing actually sprouted!
Of course, there's no telling how fast it will grow, how big it will get or if it will smell as sweet - and I won't be able to take it with me when I move, but I planted a tree!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
The most impressive thing about this system from what I've looked at is how many people are being affected (Del Rio - Wisconsin).

We'll most likely get a severe thunderstorm watch issued sometime soon -- as the SPC keeps hinting... but I wouldn't run completely for cover. This is an average squall line, so expect some brief gusty winds out ahead of the main storm, and in some cases, small hail (so you may wanna bring your cars in), and then some good heavy rain, lightning, thunder for about 15-30 mins.

And then we'll clear up for another beautiful day tomorrow

live radar: Current Austin-San Antonio Nexrad Radar Map : Weather Underground

I'm excited that we got some rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio