U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:14 PM

99 posts, read 365,216 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a question and I thought there just might be someone out there with an answer.

My son is at an NEISD campus. He is academically advanced and thriving. Unfortunately, he got slammed with illnesses during the first half of the year.

Even though we've had doctor's notes for 95% of the absenses, the school is saying they want to hold him back (because of the number of absences: 25). The Asst. Principal told us the decision has nothing to do with how advanced he is academically but just about the numbers.

His teacher is completely shocked at why they would even consider this.

They've made me feel like I've done something horribly wrong by keeping a very sick child home. It feels like they're working against us instead of working to do what's best for my son.

They even said that if we home school him or put him in private school for a year, they still will put him back a year if he tries to return.

Any advice? Maybe someone out there is experienced working in this area.

Also, I might look for an attorney...what field would the attorney practice in?

I'm just at a loss right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM

39 posts, read 87,382 times
Ask for an appointment with the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum (or Academic Instruction) - ask for a written explanation of the district's decision then you can consider whether legal opinions might be warranted.

Oh, don't drag the classroom teacher into this - that'd put him/her in a tenuous position.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 PM

872 posts, read 2,606,762 times
Does the school not offer Saturday School to make up attendance hours? Is summer school to make up some of the days an option? In the district where I teach, both of these are available. I'm not sure what other districts do.

Students can't miss more than 10% of the school days, so that usually works out to about 18 days maximum they can be absent (partial day absences count towards this as well). It's odd that this is the first time they are bringing it up - typically you would have been contacted earlier in the year (once he approached or hit the 18 days) with warning letters as well as alternative ways to make up some of the days.

You might want to become familiar with the attendance portion of the Education Code: Attendance before moving further up the chain of command within the district. It always helps to be prepared. I would make sure I had really exhausted my options with the school personnel before pursuing anything else.

Good luck.

Last edited by buffy888; 03-26-2010 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM

6,279 posts, read 9,052,748 times
Absolutely. Demand he be advanced regardless of anything else. You don't say how he's doing with his grades. Are they where they should be, or is he just "doing okay"?

Look....my wife IS a teacher - and folks, sometimes we're so concerned with our childs' "well being" that we forget to think about the long term best interests of the child. Many of the schools have a minimum grade requirement - anything from a 50 to 60 - even if the child refused to turn class/home work in. The result is that they get advanced....get behind....get bored....and now become a discipline problem that spreads throughout their class.

There is no corporal punishment in the school any more...so guess what? The kids KNOW it - and they get out of hand in ways you can't begin to imagine. My wife teaches 4th grade - and has had students tell her to f*** off. Sent to the office, they return with at MOST a day or two in ISS. Most of the time, it's a little scolding and back to class. Tell me something....what is the kid learning with that?

And the kids that are "developmentally challenged", etc. - I know it's a wonderful feeling for their parents that they attend the same class as the other kids - but you have NO idea as to what's going on inside that classroom. The child is essentially "lost" - the work often beyond their comprehension levels - so they become bored and start disrupting the rest of the class. The teacher has to stop and get the miscreant back "on task" - which lasts for a bit, then it's back to chaos again. Well folks, let me tell you something - those parents with kids WITHOUT those "challenges" are allowing their children to be robbed of a GOOD education - and no one seems to be willing to say a word about it.

How bad is it? Well, my wife is doing what had been unthinkable to her just a few years ago - she's retiring this year. She's had enough - and so have I. Enough of her getting up at 4:30, leaving the house at 6:30 and home at 6:30, only to spend several hours grading papers, preparing lesson plans, etc. Weekends where whatever we're doing has to be done Saturday - because Sunday is spent preparing for the new week. Calls at night from parents.....watching her in tears because she suspects a student is being abused, and calling CPS places her in jeopardy.

SOMEone needs to wake up and realize that until corporal punishment returns to the schools, it's going to get worse. Cruel? No - IMO, it's MORE cruel to allow a child to act out as they wish with no repercussions - because when they get out into the REAL world, those acts will get 'em fired.

There's more - but it evolves from the above - and most parents REALLY don't want to hear it - and before ya'll start chastising me for my opinions w/regards to corporal punishment....folks, if you don't love your child enough to make them behave and follow societal norms, some of us WILL be sitting on the juries that'll sentence them to prison.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,231,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amig0 View Post
Oh, don't drag the classroom teacher into this - that'd put him/her in a tenuous position.
I disagree. The teacher is critical to this process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Absolutely. Demand he be advanced regardless of anything else. You don't say how he's doing with his grades. Are they where they should be, or is he just "doing okay"?

Look....my wife IS a teacher - and folks, sometimes we're so concerned with our childs' "well being" that we forget to think about the long term best interests of the child. Many of the schools have a minimum grade requirement - anything from a 50 to 60 - even if the child refused to turn class/home work in. The result is that they get advanced....get behind....get bored....and now become a discipline problem that spreads throughout their class.

There is no corporal punishment in the school any more...so guess what? The kids KNOW it - and they get out of hand in ways you can't begin to imagine. My wife teaches 4th grade - and has had students tell her to f*** off. Sent to the office, they return with at MOST a day or two in ISS. Most of the time, it's a little scolding and back to class. Tell me something....what is the kid learning with that?

And the kids that are "developmentally challenged", etc. - I know it's a wonderful feeling for their parents that they attend the same class as the other kids - but you have NO idea as to what's going on inside that classroom. The child is essentially "lost" - the work often beyond their comprehension levels - so they become bored and start disrupting the rest of the class. The teacher has to stop and get the miscreant back "on task" - which lasts for a bit, then it's back to chaos again. Well folks, let me tell you something - those parents with kids WITHOUT those "challenges" are allowing their children to be robbed of a GOOD education - and no one seems to be willing to say a word about it.

How bad is it? Well, my wife is doing what had been unthinkable to her just a few years ago - she's retiring this year. She's had enough - and so have I. Enough of her getting up at 4:30, leaving the house at 6:30 and home at 6:30, only to spend several hours grading papers, preparing lesson plans, etc. Weekends where whatever we're doing has to be done Saturday - because Sunday is spent preparing for the new week. Calls at night from parents.....watching her in tears because she suspects a student is being abused, and calling CPS places her in jeopardy.

SOMEone needs to wake up and realize that until corporal punishment returns to the schools, it's going to get worse. Cruel? No - IMO, it's MORE cruel to allow a child to act out as they wish with no repercussions - because when they get out into the REAL world, those acts will get 'em fired.

There's more - but it evolves from the above - and most parents REALLY don't want to hear it - and before ya'll start chastising me for my opinions w/regards to corporal punishment....folks, if you don't love your child enough to make them behave and follow societal norms, some of us WILL be sitting on the juries that'll sentence them to prison.
Wow. Holy crap. That was quite a diatribe. Please, tell us how you really feel. You're being so vague.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,981,803 times
This is really strange to me to be hearing this --- I say this because my youngest daughter was very sick in her kindergarten year... 2 years ago... She had what we thought was strep numerous times with really, really high fevers... 104-105... They finally did a full blood count and found that she had childhood mono...

She had to stay home until she was free from fever for 1 week... With mono the fever can come and go... To make a long story short she was home for a total of about 25-30 days...

I was aware of the attendance rule and I asked her teacher about it and her teacher did say there was a chance they would hold her back... but if it came to that we (me and the teacher) could request a meeting with the principal and vice principal to see about placing her in the 1st grade as opposed to promoting her into the 1st grade...

Turns out we didn't have to do that as the principal was fine with promoting my daughter...

Good Luck to you... I hope it all gets worked out...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,083,834 times
I'm also a bit confused by this. In NEISD too and know how well we are informed about the attendance policy. My kiddo has only missed 6-7 days this school year, but I receive the stern email after every absence and have already been warned about the possibility of Saturday school.

Surely, this was brought to your attention before now?

Do understand your frustration though -- school insists the kids stay home when they are sick (especially with all this swine flu nonsense) but yell at you for being absent. And don't even get me started on the mandatory doctor's note.... argh!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,909,632 times
How far have you gone within NEISD? You mention AP but have you spoken to the Principal? Have you followed the online handbook for procedures when you are not happy with the outcome of issues? Grievance where they must respond within a certain time limit? Have you emailed the supers? The pupil personnel office? Board of Directors? You have many options open to you and they are outlined either on the web or in the handbook, do your homework and I am confident you will succeed in your quest.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,030,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I'm also a bit confused by this. In NEISD too and know how well we are informed about the attendance policy. My kiddo has only missed 6-7 days this school year, but I receive the stern email after every absence and have already been warned about the possibility of Saturday school.

Surely, this was brought to your attention before now?

Do understand your frustration though -- school insists the kids stay home when they are sick (especially with all this swine flu nonsense) but yell at you for being absent. And don't even get me started on the mandatory doctor's note.... argh!
A lot of it has to do with money. If a kid is absent, the school doesn't get their state/federal money for the days absent.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,766,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
A lot of it has to do with money. If a kid is absent, the school doesn't get their state/federal money for the days absent.

DING, DING, ding, we have the winner.

Funding foremost, student welfare be damned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio