Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM

84 posts, read 157,145 times

Advertisements

I filled out an online application and received a call from HR about 9 hours later. I had a telephone interview 2 days later and now the company plans to fly me out for a face-to-face interview.

I've checked rent.com, craigs list and other websites. I'll probably go to an apartment hunting facility while I'm in town.

My questions? This job will be in the Medical District and I'll be working three twelve hour days 7pm-7am. On my off days I plan to study martial arts in Terrell Hills. So I thought the Terrell Hills area might be an interesting place to live. Someone in a previous post stated that the commute would be horrible (T-Hills + Medical district).

Perhaps someone could suggest a halfway point. Somewhere between Terrell Hills and the Medical district? I have no kids, therefore school districts are of no concern to me. I just want to live away from traffic and gunshots. Perhaps a 1/2 hour commute to Terrell Hills and 1/2 hour commute to the Medical District?

Last edited by kungfuftr; 03-28-2010 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: D'oh! I can't edit the title! Get should be replaced with gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuftr View Post
I filled out an online application and received a call from HR about 9 hours later. I had a telephone interview 2 days later and now the company plans to fly me out for a face-to-face interview.

I've checked rent.com, craigs list and other websites. I'll probably go to an apartment hunting facility while I'm in town.

My questions? This job will be in the Medical District and I'll be working three twelve hour days 7pm-7am. On my off days I plan to study martial arts in Terrell Hills. So I thought the Terrell Hills area might be an interesting place to live. Someone in a previous post stated that the commute would be horrible (T-Hills + Medical district).

Perhaps someone could suggest a halfway point. Somewhere between Terrell Hills and the Medical district? I have no kids, therefore school districts are of no concern to me. I just want to live away from traffic and gunshots. Perhaps a 1/2 hour commute to Terrell Hills and 1/2 hour commute to the Medical District?
At those hours the commute will not be bad at all, 20-25 minutes. Since most of the construction has finished it is maybe a little bit bad going home towards Terrill Hills from 4:30-6 pm (But when the rest of the 410 construction finishes in 6 months even that will not be bad). After 7 when you are going home it will not be any issue. I drive that often between 6 and 8 pm because I live in Terrell Hills on the far side near Harry Wurzbach commuting half way to the Medical Center, my wife commutes 3/4 of the way. It is not an issue.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Say hi to Tommy Lee Jones for me. He lives in your 'hood.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Live in the Medical Center area. No need pay school taxes without the need.As other have suggested, the commute will not be bad at the times mentioned.

Welcome to SA.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Live in the Medical Center area. No need pay school taxes without the need.As other have suggested, the commute will not be bad at the times mentioned.

Welcome to SA.
Just to be sure...Are you are suggesting School District property taxes are higher in Alamo Heights ISD VS Northside? For 2009, AHSID is $1.16 per thousand, Northside is $1.34 per thousand.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Say hi to Tommy Lee Jones for me. He lives in your 'hood.
He lives over on the rich side behind gates, While I do live in Terrell Hills proper, I am outside the Alamo Heights School district by 200 yards.

Most of the houses including mine on the streets near me are smaller 1950s ranches. On the plus side all the lots even on this side are reasonably big, 1/3 acre or so.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
Just to be sure...Are you are suggesting School District property taxes are higher in Alamo Heights ISD VS Northside? For 2009, AHSID is $1.16 per thousand, Northside is $1.34 per thousand.
It also depends on how you look at it. AHSID has lower rates, but typically higher property values. So a similarly sized house could indeed pay higher total property taxes. (It would also cost significantly more)

Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM

420 posts, read 1,155,670 times
And property taxes don't matter to someone renting an apartment as he said he would be.

Lots of places to look at that way. You may also want to find a real estate agent to look at rental properties and apartments that are not the huge complexes in that area.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
My Terrell Hills property appraised value has increased 50% in the past 5 years.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
It also depends on how you look at it. AHSID has lower rates, but typically higher property values. So a similarly sized house could indeed pay higher total property taxes. (It would also cost significantly more)
Agree. However, *MOST* people shop based on what they can afford first. So a $300K house, while likely smaller in AHISD vs NSID, is still a $300K from a tax standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio