U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,697,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I have noticed a serious decline in the caliber of military people here lately, especially those on the road. They are extremely rude and I know they are military because they are in uniform. They do all sorts of things I would've never dreamed up back when I was active duty and it is a disgrace. I don't know what has happened, but it is mostly the younger crowd, 30 and under. Just a bunch of jerks that are not professional at all. I think this is a good discussion because they need to be called out for what they are. You aren't automatically honored just because of your job, you have to earn respect and many are failing big time.
IMO-They've (military) been trolling near the bottom of the barrel for a long time now. Maybe they're finally scraping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,999,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
They've (military) been trolling near the bottom of the barrel for a long time now. Maybe they're finally scraping.
Maybe they are....but might I remind you that these young men and women are, at least, answering their country's call? Try to have a least a modicum of respect.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 6,090,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Hey now, if you don't like how I'm driving then move over to the right hand lane....
No...if you don't like my driving get off the sidewalk.....

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Maybe they are....but might I remind you that these young men and women are, at least, answering their country's call? Try to have a least a modicum of respect.
I would have to agree with TexRed. Fast driving aside, when the uniform of the Armed forces is worn, it is symbolic of duty to country. I'm not saying that it's okay to violate law, but without these individuals we may not have the same laws or freedoms. I may dislike many things about this city, but I will accept or learn to accept them rather than risk being walked out to a public area and be hung/beheaded for crimes against a malevolent god who bends the rules for his martyrs.

Back to topic at hand. I'd let it go and not worry about what an obviously idiot driver did to me. I let it go every day, since very few around these parts understand anything about the simple concept of driving.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I would have to agree with TexRed. Fast driving aside, when the uniform of the Armed forces is worn, it is symbolic of duty to country. I'm not saying that it's okay to violate law, but without these individuals we may not have the same laws or freedoms. I may dislike many things about this city, but I will accept or learn to accept them rather than risk being walked out to a public area and be hung/beheaded for crimes against a malevolent god who bends the rules for his martyrs.
I disagree with you guys,
to put it in few words, if we want to keep on having the best military in the World, we shouldn't embrace them when they act recklessly.

It's different, but I feel the same way about the sport teams that I like
if we are playing for a championship, I don't want to hear or see any of them doing something that is going to affect the team.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,719,415 times
Honestly....."ruffians" if you will....have been in the military as long as there was...well, a military. I've done a great deal of research over the past century in San Antonio and the evolution of the military has been glorious and horrendous. Most of the latter has been small groups or even individuals acting out their own. I have tons of newspaper articles about murders, rapes, assaults ...you name it....mainly because soldiers living in squalid conditions after being drafted. A good percentage of them were chicken poops to care about protecting this country....and they showed it with bad behavior.

At least our military now consists completely of voluntary recruits....some still need serious discipline, but not in the numbers of prior years.

SVG....I respect your need for safety hauling such a big truck all over town. You did the right thing and let them get your goat.....but what happened? You're safe, no one was hurt...and they got away with being little bastards.
I agree to call the proper authorities, or even both. Or even call the number Deep Forest gave you and ask who you should contact should this kind of incident happen again. You know best how dangerous your rig is....they were playing with fire.

(editing to clarify I have not been around a century...just covering that time period~! )

Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,999,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I disagree with you guys,
to put it in few words, if we want to keep on having the best military in the World, we shouldn't embrace them when they act recklessly.

It's different, but I feel the same way about the sport teams that I like
if we are playing for a championship, I don't want to hear or see any of them doing something that is going to affect the team.
Don't believe I said anything about "embracing" them when they act recklessly. What I DID say was that we should respect and honor the uniform - big difference there. If a military member is getting out of line, I'll call 'em on it, and encourage others to do the same. But to lambast ALL of 'em for the actions of a few.....it just goes against my grain.

Dopo, have you ever served in the military? I have - and let me tell you - the treatment they get from SOME civilians is simply not to be believed. I was treated like dog meat, spit upon and otherwise made to feel about as welcome as a pole cat at a perfume convention. It didn't make me feel that all civilians were that way, nor treat 'em as if they were. I gave each the opportunity to demonstrate how they were, and I'd react accordingly.

It's like when I go into some places having dismounted from my Harley. Some of 'em get downright nervous...yet I have NEVER been convicted of ANY criminal activity - I'm an ex-LEO for Pete's sake, AND have held (and continue to hold) some fairly high security clearances. Guess that's one of the reasons I've always enjoyed my moniker - it's one that dates back to my time in the military, when fellow sailors would insist that since I was an anglo from Texas, I HAD to be a Klansman! I went with the flow, since I didn't much care what others thought. Never forget the night, though, that I fought a half-dozen Belgians off a black shipmate because he'd been dancing w/a local. That REALLY confused 'em.....

Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,078,579 times
The military is like any other group of people. You have the good, bad and ugly. There was a time when members of Congress were highly regarded, as were members of the church. Now we're constantly bombarded with new reports of philandering, stealing, homophobic yet has a gay lover on the side, lying, disrespectful or violent members within both of those groups.

Let's just draw defeat and say the country as a whole is going down in flames

And being a military spouse for the past dozen years, let me say that you have to be at the "bottom of the barrel" so to speak to voluntarily agree to this difficult life. Between the poverty-level pay, ridiculous health care and just aggravation of having to deal with this entire system, they are not going to attract only America's best and brightest anymore. That's not to say there are not many wonderful, intelligent, dedicated people in the military, but many of the kids that enlist simply have no other options left.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times
Far from bottom of the barrel and the vast majority are more like the cream at the top of the barrel. However, anyone should feel free to call out the bad apples. Seems that isn't the "right thing to do" anymore and that is BS. Just because you served does not give you a free ticket to do as you please and you should be held to a higher standard; that's just the way it is.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 AM

615 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Not sure what having to wear a uniform has to do with poor driving? It doesn't matter if it's San Antonio, Seattle, or Boston MA... there are bad drivers everywhere, uniform or not.

The same statement holds true if I change the first few words of your topic "WTH is wrong with Old People these days?" They sit in traffic, not sure what to do, they barely do the speed limit, unaware of their surroundings. They should be off the road!

Just to even the odds, I'll be sure to find the next jerk who doesn't know how to drive and isn't in a uniform, and make a broad-blanketed statement about that whole class of people.

I'm not Active Duty, but I did my time, and frankly I take personal offense to people who lump military folks into a bucket, just because they wear the uniform. The Military teaches men and women how to fight, not how to drive. Blame the local schools and DMV for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or