U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM

420 posts, read 1,013,757 times

Advertisements

Come to town. get an apartment hunter. Plan on a few days in a hotel. Or check craigslist. Some of the apartment hunters put some great specials up there.

I remember when we moved into ours we paid 850 for a 2 bedroom and got a 100 target gift card handed to us after we signed our lease by the hunter.

Be specific with your wants. pets, w/d hookups (there are places that rent washers and dryers but it generally better to buy), etc.

I would personally recommend one that has an individual water meter for the unit. as sometimes our water bill goes nuts with this shared bull thing. People move out and our bill skyrockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 130,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingWolves View Post
Come to town. get an apartment hunter. Plan on a few days in a hotel. Or check craigslist. Some of the apartment hunters put some great specials up there.

I remember when we moved into ours we paid 850 for a 2 bedroom and got a 100 target gift card handed to us after we signed our lease by the hunter.

Be specific with your wants. pets, w/d hookups (there are places that rent washers and dryers but it generally better to buy), etc.

I would personally recommend one that has an individual water meter for the unit. as sometimes our water bill goes nuts with this shared bull thing. People move out and our bill skyrockets.
i used an apartment hunter for this place. in fact i went through a couple of them, all of which said they medical area was a decent place to live. i asked 4 different apartment hunters in 4 different companies. so taking their word for it, i settled on this place.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
The Medical Center is a decent place. PP is sort of on the "outskirts" and borders the Datapoint area which is downright scary.

If you do decide to come to town and look around, drive through the complexes in the evening. You'll get a better idea of parking, "activities", and who's milling about.

Good luck! I second the locator recommendation.....as long as you are very specific with them.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM

like i said, this is what a locator got me. i took his word for it that its a nice place in a nice area. i toured the apartments (in the day of course) and everything looked good so this is where i settled. but now that im talking to real people who have lived here for a while, do you guys have complex suggestions where it would be safer, better area? looking to spend about $700 a month.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Will you be commuting to a job, school, or working from home?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM

commuting to work at zarzamora and i10, but i can handle a drive, i dont mind at all as long as where i rest my head at night is worry free. living in california now 30-40 miles commute is regular. 20 miles is like ideal.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

You said "we" in your first post. Kids? Also, are you looking for w/d connections? (I am reading over your first post and saw you mentioned a w/d so not sure if you have one or need one.) Looked again....you only need a 1BR so probably no kids.

Stay away from the Woodstone area, IMO....and also the Datapoint area, if you start looking online now.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM

no kids, just my wife and i. this place has furnished w/d so it was a huge plus, but its not a necessity, we can always purchase a w/d.

i also want something safe because she'll be home alone all day for the first couple months until we can buy a second car. i know at this place they've had complaints of car break ins, but i havent heard much about apartment break ins so thats a plus. and they come with each unit has its own alarm system which i though was great. i was told by a friend of my brother in law thats lived in SA for a couple years, that this was a good area also, so between him and the 4 apartment locators i talked to, i thought i was in the clear. but now im having so many doubts and im less than a week from moving. any and all help is appreciated.

like i said, im now asking REAL people for opinions rather than greedy apartment locators that just want me to sign a lease so they can get paid. they, i guess, will say anything to get you in.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM

DeZavala and 10 is a nice area....she could walk to the grocery store. Not sure which apartments are over there but I'll look on rent.com, or forrent.com, or moveforfree.com....sorry you had a bad experience with the locator, but technically, that IS a good area....they just have too much riff-raff living very close by. I'm telling you, that Datapoint area is bad. The actual property is lovely...I've driven by many times and thought it would be a neat place to live. And it may well be....I've never lived there.

Don't sweat it. There are many nice areas in SA that you and your wife can feel comfortable in. You've got nearly a week.....if your mind is already made up to back out of the PP.

I've heard nice things about a complex at Culebra and 1604....yeah, you're near a Wal-Mart but tons of shopping and some regulars on here have lived there. You could hop on 151 and be on your way across town in no time. I'll try to see the name of that complex later today.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM

73 posts, read 133,794 times
My apartment was burglarized at Promontory Point in 2003. After apartment living, I bought a house. Sorry I don't have an alternative recommendation for you. I am sure some of the forumites will have some great suggestions. Aside from my burglary experience, San Antonio has been a great place to live.

Also, check the crime DB for the zipcode where you plan to live (Site works best in Internet Explorer): San Antonio Police Department crime, reports, search | mySA.com (http://www.mysanantonio.com/crimebase/ - broken link)

Last edited by satx_pilot; 03-31-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio