U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,502 times

Advertisements

OK, we're finally considering switching. We've had Sprint for years, and haven't had any major problems lately. Not in a few years really. But, the bill is pretty expensive! I have one phone on the SERO plan, and the other two on a shared plan.

Anyone know of any great deals with AT&T or Verizon? Texting, maybe internet access, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
I first had Sprint almost 10 years ago and it was disastrous from the get go. The cutsomer service is horrible and every month no matter how diligent I was about my minutes my bill seemed to get higher and higher every month. One day some what appeared to be "fly by night" cell company called Pocket came into town and when my Spring contract ended I took a gamble on this new Pocket company. I have never had any problems with the service. Its pretty simple, buy a phone, pay the flat rate every month, repeat. I did break a phone once and the replacement was a rather daunting ordeal so I would definitely suggest just buying a new phone cause the replacements are horrible. Other than that its been smooth sailing and Ive been w them about 2 yrs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Pocket is abysmal. I would not recommend them even if they were paying me.

For a cheap, local calling plan, I would recommend Cricket. I'm still kicking myself for dropping them and going to Pocket. I did it because Cricket was trying to charge me $10 a line to change something, and I thought that was pretty bogus, but if I could allow myself to grovel and go crawling back to them, I would. I never had a problem one with them, and it was a $35 unlimited everything plan. Granted, I couldn't travel out of TX with it for that rate, but I'm pretty much not on the road anymore anyway.

Did I tell you Pocket was abysmal? Dropped calls, no signal, terrible customer service. I'm miserable.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
I have dropped calls out the wazoo, and I can't even get a signal when I'm at work. I'm glad it worked out for you. It's just not working for me.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I have dropped calls out the wazoo, and I can't even get a signal when I'm at work. I'm glad it worked out for you. It's just not working for me.
I wonder if it has anything to do w the area you are in? I do have to admit when I try to use it in certain areas (mainly the SS) I tend to drop calls more often. But on the flip side I was dropping calls left and right on the Spring network too, and I had to call Sprint to credit those back to me.

Hopefully you found a company that is working out for you now!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Yeah, Pocket doesn't seem to like trees.

No, I am sticking with them for another month or so........I'm almost weaned off my cell phone now, and may be able to un-suckle by Christmas.

I will admit to texting withdrawals, though. Not while driving, but they are such an effective way to communicate. I want to tell you something, I just don't WANT TO TALK TO YOU!! Sweet!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,502 times
Any favored providers running any good deals?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM

141 posts, read 443,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Quick summary. We (several members of the fam) have been long time customers of a certain cell phone provider (over 10 years)....and recently have had some unbelievably horrible customer service. My "contract" has expired and I'm about to pull the plug on them for my personal service.

One offspring just purchased a new phone 37 days ago and it began to malfunction last weekend and is now totally inoperable. He took it in and they would not allow him to exchange the phone since it was over "30" days. He has insurance, but they said it would take 5-7 days to fix and they did not have any loaners in the store. He was then told to try another location. Same story....5-7 days to repair and no loaners. He told them that he would willingly purchase a more expensive phone because he needs his phone at work daily. They said since it was more than 30 days that he could not get the "in store" rebate which would make the phone over $400 instead of $150!

I am just a little bit more than angry at how these cell phone providers have evolved into holding us ransom with these insane restrictions and contracts. He wants to GIVE them more money, but they are refusing because their phone malfunctioned. He did not run over it, drop it in the toilet or wash it in the laundry. It was defective....PERIOD. And he gets to pay $7.50 insurance a month to ALLOW them to repair a POS.

So.....as a show of support (NOT), I'm shopping other providers for my own service. I would really like some objective thoughts on the majors.....At&t, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile only. Thanks in advance. (ok ...sorry...not so quick of a summary.)
i've been with AT&T for about ten years, and have had minimal problems with them. but i do HATE dealing with the jerks in the stores so i call and i have gotten the BEST service from them and they usually tell me about great deals and i wind up saving money in the long run. good luck with your situation.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Default cell phone

I have sprint service and my contract is over. I really haven't had many problems but, I got a plan that was to cost 59.99. Insurance on both phone, texting on and on the total cost at the end of it with sales tax and all around 110 a month. So i'm needing help on other plans in kansas city missouri.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:27 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
Has anyone noticed that it's cheaper (if you have more than two phones) to get an extra line and a "free" phone instead of getting insurance on the phones?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsheil View Post
I have sprint service and my contract is over. I really haven't had many problems but, I got a plan that was to cost 59.99. Insurance on both phone, texting on and on the total cost at the end of it with sales tax and all around 110 a month. So i'm needing help on other plans in kansas city missouri.
Kansas City? Wait...are you in San Antonio and you're moving to KC or the other way around? Just from talking to people in other cities (even in Texas) I'm finding the plans vary a great deal from area to area. It all depends on the coverage and cell towers in your area. It might be best to check the KC or nearest Missouri forum and ask around there.

Or not...it you are now in SA. Good luck! Some of us (in my fam) have made the switch to T-Mobile for the service and the products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or