Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM

501 posts, read 1,050,480 times

Advertisements

I am looking to gain some insight from people who live in downtown San Antonio, more specifically the upper end condominium developments such as the Can Plant. For those who purchased expensive units, has the cost been worth it to you? What do you most enjoy about the urban living lifestyle? Are there any major draw backs for someone thinking about moving downtown?

Also, anyone who is living in a historical district near downtown is welcome to chime in. I would love to hear some input from people who live in older historic homes near the King Williams area.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I am looking to gain some insight from people who live in downtown San Antonio, more specifically the upper end condominium developments such as the Can Plant. For those who purchased expensive units, has the cost been worth it to you? What do you most enjoy about the urban living lifestyle? Are there any major draw backs for someone thinking about moving downtown?

Also, anyone who is living in a historical district near downtown is welcome to chime in. I would love to hear some input from people who live in older historic homes near the King Williams area.

Thank You!

Pet peeve of mine: King William. No 's' at the end.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM

318 posts, read 570,584 times
FYI, Can Plant is fully rental units. No for sale condos.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,480 times
I meant the Judson Candy Factory. Regardless, they have the same type of urban feel.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Judson Candy condos are in SoFlo, which is a very different area from the Pearl where the Can Plant is.

I live in Southtown, and love it. I love being able to walk to restaurants and bars, galleries, and other things. Lack of a grocery store prevents it from being truly urban living. Whether or not the new HEB/corner store will make a difference remains to be seen. I happily avoid getting in my car all weekend, but enjoy riding bikes or walking on the Mission Reach or Museum Reach.

Downside? Houses are smaller, older with their related problems. It was cheap when we bought, now our property taxes are crazy. Love love love the community - families, singles, older couples, all professions and backgrounds. It's a very community oriented type of place, everyone knows each other, though it is possible to have some independence (anonymity only if you avoid meeting people). Hard part is you can't go anywhere without running into friends, which is only a problem if you want to be alone ;-).

Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I meant the Judson Candy Factory. Regardless, they have the same type of urban feel.
My wife and I purchased a loft at Judson Candy Factory over 3 years ago and love it. We just had a great NYE party watching the downtown fireworks from our balcony. We also joined in on the community rooftop party to see a few neighbors. There are some great pool parties here for the 4th and Labor Day. The HOA price is very reasonable and it's great not having to directly take care of a pool or landscaping. While my friends who live out past 1604 are mowing and trimming their lawn (or what's left of it cause of the drought) on the weekend, we're out at the pool will friends having drinks or riding our bikes over to The Friendly Spot (insert anyplace in Southtown) to hangout with friends/neighbors.

We rarely drive anywhere on the weekend, because there is no need to. A 5-10 minute walk/bike ride gets you all around Southtown and into downtown.

Grocery store is a no big deal to me, because Whole Foods, Central Market, and the Lincoln Heights HEB is about 10 minutes away by car. If I'm in a pinch I can hit up the Nogolitos HEB.

We wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the city, and we just a daughter! She will be an urban baby.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
btw - if you want to understand some of the vibe of Southtown, check out KLRN on Sunday at 5pm, for One Square Mile: Southtown.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
While my friends who live out past 1604 are mowing and trimming their lawn (or what's left of it cause of the drought) on the weekend, we're out at the pool will friends having drinks or riding our bikes over to The Friendly Spot (insert anyplace in Southtown) to hangout with friends/neighbors.
Yes, because we all know that mowing the yard takes up all 3 days of the weekend and there is just no time to hang out at the pool or go to a bar/restraunt if you live north of 1604. It's so scary, seeing all those empty pools, restaurants, bars, gyms, movie theaters north of 1604 on the weekends.

Why do you feel the need to try and marginalize your northern 'friends' because you choose to live downtown?

Last edited by bigtexan99; 01-22-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Yes, because we all know that mowing the yard takes up all 3 days of the weekend and there is just no time to hang out at the pool or go to a bar/restraunt if you live north of 1604. It's so scary, seeing all those empty pools, restaurants, bars, gyms, movie theaters north of 1604 on the weekends.

Why do you feel the need to try and marginalize your northern 'friends' because you choose to live downtown?
I was thinking the same thing... as easy as paying somebody to keep your yard in decent shape during the summer (which probably is cheaper than maintenance fees in a condo community) and spend the weekend BBQ'ing in your (ample) back yard or in the community pool...

Now, to the OP, I have some friends who rent in the Quarry Market area and seems like for them they have a similar "urban" feeling, being able to walk to restaurant, shopping, movies, work, etc. I don't have first hand experience, but I just wanted to share.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post

Not trying to marginalize anything. A nice front and backyard takes a good amount of time and commitment, something I prefer not having to deal with. Mowing, edging, planting, trimming, watering, weeds, resoding, fire ants, etc. And this is just a yard list, I'm not even getting into the upkeep of the exterior of a home. This all adds up to a lot of hours a year of routine upkeep and maintance. But, I get that a lot of people enjoy that kind of work and maybe one day I will too.

My low utility bills, low home insurance, gas saved, and extra time with my family more then makes up the $250 a month we pay in HOA fees.

I also enjoy taking long vacations and not having to worry about someone breaking in or taking care of the yard. Just lock and leave.

Last edited by TXEX06; 01-22-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: