Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 AM

42 posts, read 105,781 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Indiana to San Antonio in about 6 weeks and this is the area that an apartment hunter told me to go. I would love some feedback as to the neighborhood. Is it kid friendly? Public transportation? Safe?

Thanks,
Mandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Avoid this area like the plague. Seriously. You'll probably want to look farther north. I work in the area, but am looking for somewhere closer to the office to work that is safe. This place is right behind my office (I could hit it if I wanted to).

I wouldn't recommend it, honestly. If you are looking to not hear about shootings, gang activity, and all that stuff every few days. It looks good during the day, but at night and during the weekend it turns kind of shady. Within the past two weeks there have been two shootings, one at a Chacho's (Mexican place) and one around that area with just some random people after they were done clubbing.

The thing is, that there are are pockets of neighborhoods (like this one), but for the most part it's very industrial. Check out zip code 78232 on forrent.com and see if there's anything you like there. Craigslist isn't much of a help as it only brings up one so-so complex. The 78232 area puts you a bit farther northwest towards 281/1604 but you're still a lot safer (and friendlier) than the Barington area.

I have NO idea why/how your apartment locator would send you to this area. I'm glad you asked someone.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 04-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: confused the poster with someone else

Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Thank you for the information. I will definately check it out.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

What about the 240 zipcode

Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Read this thread Moving to Promontory Pointe Apartments... in regard to the Medical Center area. I think sapphire pretty much summed it up. Stay east of 10. You can probably lump together the USAA area in with the Medical Center area as being spotty. I'd check those places out individually before making any decisions. There are some winners, but some losers in the '40 and the '29 which is the area you are concentrating on. Maybe even consider moving up a bit north to '49. Or to '50 (I think that's what it is).

Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Avoid this area like the plague. Seriously. You'll probably want to look farther north. I work in the area, but am looking for somewhere closer to the office to work that is safe. This place is right behind my office (I could hit it if I wanted to).

I wouldn't recommend it, honestly. If you are looking to not hear about shootings, gang activity, and all that stuff every few days. It looks good during the day, but at night and during the weekend it turns kind of shady. Within the past two weeks there have been two shootings, one at a Chacho's (Mexican place) and one around that area with just some random people after they were done clubbing.

The thing is, that there are are pockets of neighborhoods (like this one), but for the most part it's very industrial. Check out zip code 78232 on forrent.com and see if there's anything you like there. Craigslist isn't much of a help as it only brings up one so-so complex. The 78232 area puts you a bit farther northwest towards 281/1604 but you're still a lot safer (and friendlier) than the Barington area.

I have NO idea why/how your apartment locator would send you to this area. I'm glad you asked someone.
Do apartment locators make their money by contracting with specific complexes or something? I've seen a couple of "why would a locator recommend that area" types of posts lately.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
I am moving from Indiana to San Antonio in about 6 weeks and this is the area that an apartment hunter told me to go. I would love some feedback as to the neighborhood. Is it kid friendly? Public transportation? Safe?

Thanks,
Mandy
I'm going to completely disagree with one of the previous posters. While this may not be the idealic Stone Oak area...this is not a bad area to live in. TRUST ME, there are FAR MUCH more worse parts of the city to live in than this area.

This part of the city is actually pretty safe compared to the (inner) West and East side. Even taking a look through Google Street View (on that street you asked for) they have some VERY nice houses and places I WISH I could live in. If my neighborhood looked like that...I would be very lucky!!!

One of the previous posters commented on the "Mexican Place" (those posters words) Chacho's which is a restaurant/bar type of place which has been in the news over the past several years.

The restaurant is 24/7 which (I believe) is one of the reasons why there has been an increase in violence there (99% of the time) after midnight because "some" rowdy people go out to the clubs/bars and then THOSE stupid people go to good establishments like Chacho's and cause problems.

It DOESN'T mean It's a bad place. It's actually a very fun and nice good place. They have a mega-large (2 story) kids play area and lots of food from pizza, desserts, entrees, a bar and live music during the weekend.

As far as transportation, I was at Chacho's during the day almost 2 months ago...I walked across the street and took a bus which dropped me near Northstar Mall. There is also a #14 Perrin Beitel Bus that goes in that area. You can always use Google Maps as the bus routes are now embedded into the maps from VIA Metropolitan Transit.

In closing, it's not a place you need to avoid. It's a pretty decent area when you consider there are much more worse parts of San Antonio but if you are looking for the ideal and wealthy-looking suburb or subdivision than this may not be the place for you.

Happy Renting Hunting.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 04-03-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Do apartment locators make their money by contracting with specific complexes or something? I've seen a couple of "why would a locator recommend that area" types of posts lately.
I bet some are like used car salesmen...connecting to the right person will get them a nice commission, which explains the shady directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I'm going to completely disagree with one of the previous posters. While this may not be the idealic Stone Oak area...this is not a bad area to live in. TRUST ME, there are FAR MUCH more worse parts of the city to live in than this area.
Oh, I know that. I've been in much worse areas of the city. I wouldn't hesitate working past dark like I would have at my previous office (on the westside).

However, if you are a brand new resident, I wouldn't send someone in that general direction. it's not an area I would send them in that area. The houses in that area are very nice and it's convenient to a lot of locations, but it's just my cup of tea.

I haven't made my way to Chacho's yet. I've heard it's a nice place and they have security there on a regular basis. And yes, it is open 24 hours a day which explains the swing in violence specifically there. The owner said, I think on TV, that they are working with TABC and SAPD to come to a solution to the violence, but it's still a bone of contention, safety wise, for me.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
While this may not be the idealic Stone Oak area...this is not a bad area to live in. TRUST ME, there are FAR MUCH more worse parts of the city to live in than this area.

This part of the city is actually pretty safe compared to the (inner) West and East side. Even taking a look through Google Street View (on that street you asked for) they have some VERY nice houses and places I WISH I could live in. If my neighborhood looked like that...I would be very lucky!!!
That pretty much sums up my impression of the Barrington area, also. As has been stated, there have been some highly publicized incidents at Chacho's on nearby Perrin-Beitel Rd.

The residences on the West side of Starcrest, in particular, are fairly upscale, and the prestigious St. Mary's Hall private school is also in the area.

It looks like bus route #509 is the closest one to Barrington. See VIA Transit's website for more info. www.viainfo.net

Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
I had a number of friends
growing up that lived in that are, most were great people, went off to good universities. It's a realativly inexpensive area that's zoned to MacArthur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio