U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM

169 posts, read 375,045 times

Advertisements

cyclists cry for drivers to "share the road", but they hardly EVER "share" it back. We all recognize they are legal road-going vehicles. I, as a driver however, beleive they must then abide by the same laws.

some are safe and courteous. but most are demanding, rude, and break the law every chance they can. Never stop at stop signs, just keep going. Never sit through a red light, they just run it when there is a opening. Never signal, and rarely look before they turn or merge. Pass on the shoulder if in traffic. Come on guys, My car can make it through that red light faster than your bike, so why is it ok for you to run the light, and not me?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for your rights (really, vehicle operators have privileges not rights, but we wont go there), and i am disgusted with people that dont get over for cyclists, or even yell or throw things at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

10,406 posts, read 12,667,603 times
My opinion of cyclists is that they seem to be mostly intelligent, mature, conscientious, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong?

But one bad apple can ruin their reputations.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Maybe it's a part of the whole extreme sports thing. Some of them just accept that they might die and don't care. Saw one of those guys on TV yesterday...although what he was doing wasn't cycling. Even after recent injuries, he couldn't wait to get back to those extreme, dangerous sports. I think he said he first started out doing stuff like that bacause he wanted to die, then continued because he loved it. They talked to doctors who said tests on the brains of those extreme sports people showed the same results as hard core drug addicts had.
I don't think most cyclists ride because they want to die. Personally, I ride because I'd rather have a beach booty than a beach-ball booty. I can't walk or jog because I have a bunch of metal in my leg, but cycling is good exercise without being so hard on my leg that I can't walk without a cane for days afterwards.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't think most cyclists ride because they want to die. Personally, I ride because I'd rather have a beach booty than a beach-ball booty. I can't walk or jog because I have a bunch of metal in my leg, but cycling is good exercise without being so hard on my leg that I can't walk without a cane for days afterwards.
I ride because it's fun, it's convenient, it's an excellent way to get around downtown/southtown and not have to worry about parking. Since I'm usually riding with my kids, I have anything but a death wish.

I ride pretty frequently, and it's rare for me to see a rude cyclist on the road. Occasionally yes, but they're more the exception than the rule.

And except on highways, on just about every road and city street, pedestrians have the right of way. Not cars.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

3,561 posts, read 5,289,006 times
Yes there are arrogant cyclists in addition to arrogant motorists. The difference in the real world are the outcomes of such behavior in that the cyclist is a danger to himself whereas the motorist is a danger to himself and to whoever he collides into. A car is a 3000+ wrecking machine whereas a cyclist is 180 lbs plus a 30 lb lump of steel, aluminum, and rubber that could possiblu dent your quarter panel.

When was the last time a cyclist collided with a motorist or pedestrian and killed them? (I remember a year ago in Dallas this happened, but that's it). Moreover when was the last time that happened and the cyclist ran off? Don't know about your city but motorists routinely leave the scene of the crime, with no recourse for the victims in their wake. Yeah 35,000 deaths a year are caused by motor vehicles which is probably why police ticket them and not cyclists. Fair, maybe not, but very practical from a public safety point of view.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM

545 posts, read 907,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Personally, I ride because I'd rather have a beach booty than a beach-ball booty.

Pics or it didn't happen

Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM

291 posts, read 535,739 times
I pay yearly registration fees and had to take a test in order to drive on public roads. Maybe since cyclist want equal rights they pay equal fees. of course low income and children would be exempt.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM

545 posts, read 907,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I pay yearly registration fees and had to take a test in order to drive on public roads.

Plenty of people don't and still drive.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,345,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I pay yearly registration fees and had to take a test in order to drive on public roads. Maybe since cyclist want equal rights they pay equal fees. of course low income and children would be exempt.
Cyclists don't want equal rights; they already have them. You are not doing cyclists a "favor" by sharing the road, it's the law. The vast majority of cyclists also own cars and pay the same fees you do. Obviously, bicycles put a tiny fraction of the wear and tear on roads, so it stands to reason that any "fee" should be a tiny fraction of the registration fee for your Texas Edition Dodge Ram.

Whoever said that 1 in 3 ER visits are bike-related...lol. That stat was pulled straight out of someone's ass. I work closely with the ER in my hospital and bike-related ER trips are only occasional- usually when a car hits a cyclist it's fatal (and usually the motorist drives off). The perception of danger riding on the roads is much greater than the actual danger, most cyclists never get hit. Riding on sidewalks in statistically much more dangerous, with more obstacles, pedestrians and cars pulling out of driveways/retail/etc.

I'm amazed that despite a huge increase in bike commuters and cyclists, ignorance on the topic continues to persist in some places.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
It is not ignorance to be annoyed by what gets in your way. Perhaps patience could resolve that but no amount of education will which is the cure for ignorance.

I also did find that 1 in 3 stat suspect.

Sharing the road means exactly that and a cyclist's share is not half of the road. Just move to the right and let me pass, OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio