U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 AM
cwh cwh started this thread
 
345 posts, read 856,284 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

I dont have a problem with sharing the road with cyclist, but I have never before seen such bad behavior from a cyclist today.

He was riding 2 abreast on a busy street blocking auto traffic and then turned onto a street that had a bike lane, which he refused to use. I guess he wanted to only ride on the crown of the road.

If you want want autos to share the road with you, you cant act like you own it. And riding like this is a good way to get run over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 AM
 
5,633 posts, read 13,952,075 times
Reputation: 2731
cwh, as arrogant as they may sound to you, bicycles are vehicles. Riders have the same rights and responsibilities that you do as a driver.

I stopped riding a bike after I learned that something around 1 in 3 people will suffer an accident. The odds are not good, especially when riding on the roads out here. Same goes for motorcycles. Not to mention all the bozos riding without helmets these days. 1 in 3 emergency room visits are bike related. There are other ways to get a good cardio workout.

Last edited by doss1; 04-03-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
 
824 posts, read 1,602,567 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
I dont have a problem with sharing the road with cyclist, but I have never before seen such bad behavior from a cyclist today.

He was riding 2 abreast on a busy street blocking auto traffic and then turned onto a street that had a bike lane, which he refused to use. I guess he wanted to only ride on the crown of the road.

If you want want autos to share the road with you, you cant act like you own it. And riding like this is a good way to get run over.
Without knowing the specifics of this situation, you should keep in mind that:

1. Autos are required to share the road with bicycles. They have equal access to the road, regardless of whether or not there's a bike lane on the ROW. You don't "own" the road any more than the cyclists.

2. Cyclists are permitted by law to ride 2 abreast, unless the street has multiple lanes;

3. Cyclists aren't required to use bike lines, which is a good thing, as many are poorly planned/located, don't connect to other dedicated bike lanes, and pose their own safety challenges. And if the dedicated bike lane's on the right (as they usually are), they're not much use if you're planning to turn left.

Of course, it's possible that this particular rider was just being a jerk. But it's not exactly a rare thing when other drivers act like jerks, is it? My guess is that you'd be a little less hostile if someone on four wheels was misbehaving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
cwh cwh started this thread
 
345 posts, read 856,284 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Without knowing the specifics of this situation, you should keep in mind that:

1. Autos are required to share the road with bicycles. They have equal access to the road, regardless of whether or not there's a bike lane on the ROW. You don't "own" the road any more than the cyclists.
I was not trying to own the road. I am more than happy to give cyclist the room they need.

Quote:
2. Cyclists are permitted by law to ride 2 abreast, unless the street has multiple lanes;
They were riding two abreast when their was two lanes for auto traffic.


Quote:
3. Cyclists aren't required to use bike lines, which is a good thing, as many are poorly planned/located, don't connect to other dedicated bike lanes, and pose their own safety challenges. And if the dedicated bike lane's on the right (as they usually are), they're not much use if you're planning to turn left.
The street with the bike lane was repaved in the last few years and in is great shape.

Quote:
Of course, it's possible that this particular rider was just being a jerk. But it's not exactly a rare thing when other drivers act like jerks, is it? My guess is that you'd be a little less hostile if someone on four wheels was misbehaving...
So if someone else is jerk, you get to be a jerk to everyone else? I understand

I do my fair share of jogging on the public streets and I do prefer streets to the sidewalk, but I dont have a problem getting out of the way when I need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
 
418 posts, read 1,112,134 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
cwh, as arrogant as they may sound to you, bicycles are vehicles. Riders have the same rights and responsibilities that you do as a driver.

I stopped riding a bike after I learned that something around 1 in 3 people will suffer an accident. The odds are not good, especially when riding on the roads out here. Same goes for motorcycles. Not to mention all the bozos riding without helmets these days. 1 in 3 emergency room visits are bike related. There are other ways to get a good cardio workout.
Yeah bike riding is a double negative in SA.

a) Your reckless if you do it. b) Reckless people don't ride safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Kendall County, TX
340 posts, read 549,579 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
I do my fair share of jogging on the public streets and I do prefer streets to the sidewalk, but I dont have a problem getting out of the way when I need to.
A) Cyclists have limited visibility of what is coming from behind, as they are required by law to go the same direction as traffic.
B) It is not particularly easy to "get out of the way" when on a bicycle. Besides, who should get out of whose way? Calm down. Share the road. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,259 posts, read 8,999,975 times
Reputation: 6347
I think the issue the OP had is that the bikes were taking up ALL available traffic lanes in his direction of travel, making it impossible to pass them. I don't mind sharing a road - but when a biker intentionally makes it difficult to pass, then they are failing on their side to "share the road" - and that's just as bad. Worse, actually, because ultimately they're going to anger someone who is liable to retaliate - and that's a confrontation that they CAN'T win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
 
824 posts, read 1,602,567 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I think the issue the OP had is that the bikes were taking up ALL available traffic lanes in his direction of travel, making it impossible to pass them. I don't mind sharing a road - but when a biker intentionally makes it difficult to pass, then they are failing on their side to "share the road" - and that's just as bad. Worse, actually, because ultimately they're going to anger someone who is liable to retaliate - and that's a confrontation that they CAN'T win.
I see what you're saying, but your point is still based on the argument that autos are somehow doing bikes a 'favor' by sharing the road with them. Bikes have the exact same rights to that road as cars. End of debate.

As others have pointed out, bikes don't have rear-view mirrors, making it difficult for them to sense if/when they're impeding traffic. And even if they could see cars behind, there's no 'minimum speed' on local streets in SA (and it's not like most bike riders can safely travel at 30 mph, anyway).

I think it's sad that people get so irritated at bikes. There are far too many folks that presume our public roads exist to move the maximum amount of cars at the maximum rate of speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
 
Location: West Creek
1,720 posts, read 4,009,037 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I think the issue the OP had is that the bikes were taking up ALL available traffic lanes in his direction of travel, making it impossible to pass them. I don't mind sharing a road - but when a biker intentionally makes it difficult to pass, then they are failing on their side to "share the road" - and that's just as bad. Worse, actually, because ultimately they're going to anger someone who is liable to retaliate - and that's a confrontation that they CAN'T win.
I completely agree with you and the OP, some bikers are complete jackasses and take advantage of their position. One time I was signaling cause I wanted to go into a shopping center, and I came into a double whammy the driver behind me was riding my bumper. and to my luck the biker started pedaling faster, so since I was about 20 ft ahead of the biker, I went in anyway with about 10 ft to spare, and he followed me in, and wanted to start arguing, and I told him I took the most logical way out which completely stunned him that I was dead serious.

Then theres come certain Saturdays that they flock around hwy 211, and cr 1383, where they roll 6 wide almost NASCAR style. and yet they some how still get mad when you manage to pass them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
 
897 posts, read 2,615,883 times
Reputation: 595
Found this via google:

Texas Bicycle Laws

Sec. 551.103. Operation on Roadway.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;

(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway; or

(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the roadway.

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:
(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or
(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.


(b) A person operating a bicycle on a one-way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near as practicable to the left curb or edge of the roadway.

(c) Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top