Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
in San Antonio . i had planned to relocate to Laredo but circumstances forbade me that . now we are planning to make San Antonio our home and were wondering what grocery chains are in town and witch ones are biggest and/or best or better than others .
It's all about HEB. The Super Walmart and Targets don't have that grocery store appeal it just seems more like an afterthought just thrown together for those two. Plus, HEB has very good deals weekly (and weekly coupons and combo deals) and that's something you CAN'T count on Walmart to have on a weekly basis.

Stick with HEB as that's where just about everyone in SA goes for groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I'm in the minority, freely admitting, but I don't shop at HEB.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
When I lived in El Paso, I preferred shopping at Smith's. They were very nice clean stores. When i lived in Dallas, I liked Tom Thumb (Safeway) the best. Once in a while we would shop at Food Lion. Down here, HEB dominates. Albertson's didn't want to compete in the price department with HEB. I liked the Albertson's stores much better, but they seemed unwilling to go head to head with their competition, and turned tail and ran.

The newer HEB stores are really lacking. Cement floors, and no ceilings make one feel they're in a warehouse environment without the good prices. The way the newer stores are arranged is pretty awful, too. Whoever decides where things go must have a serious drug problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,196 times
I was impressed with the HEB in Lincoln Heights...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,305 times
Greenfields is nice, I make weekly stops for most of my grocery needs. Really good deals on produce and meat.

HEB - Alon & Central Market are two other mainstays.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM

509 posts, read 1,697,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
When I lived in El Paso, I preferred shopping at Smith's. They were very nice clean stores. When i lived in Dallas, I liked Tom Thumb (Safeway) the best. Once in a while we would shop at Food Lion. Down here, HEB dominates. Albertson's didn't want to compete in the price department with HEB. I liked the Albertson's stores much better, but they seemed unwilling to go head to head with their competition, and turned tail and ran.

The newer HEB stores are really lacking. Cement floors, and no ceilings make one feel they're in a warehouse environment without the good prices. The way the newer stores are arranged is pretty awful, too. Whoever decides where things go must have a serious drug problem.
a couple of years ago i was in Laredo and shopped in the new HEB . i was impressed .

Old 04-07-2010, 03:16 PM

44 posts, read 124,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
i was impressed with the heb in lincoln heights...
the lincoln heights heb used to be an albertson's. My wife worked for albertson's at that store until albertson's left san antonio in 2002. I believe that store was the largest square footage store that albertson's had in the nation at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio