Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
Thanks for your inside perspective, Juneof48. Out of curiosity, what is your position title and academic rank at UTSA?
I'm an assistant professor and a few years in (and yes, heading toward tenure). I don't like to get too much more specific than that on public message boards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 161,173 times
There's no denying that UTSA will never become the next UT. There again, I doubt the academic mission for UTSA is to be UT - I gather that it's to produce and teach at a level commensurate with Tier One academic Instutions.

The best model for UTSA is to be similar to UC-Irvine. UC-Irvine is an outstanding school that's produced Nobel Laureates, been amongst the leaders in academic journal output, and has carved out its niche in being the leaders in degrees not typically valued at other big named schools - i.e. UCLA, UC BERKELEY, etc. But how many Texans have heard of UC Irvine and it's quirky mascot - the Ant Eater? I bet not many. And that's ok, because they produce quality graduates, quality professors and get excellent rankings without the name recognition of other California universities.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM

262 posts, read 433,502 times
That's cool, Juneof48, congrats! I was just checking to see if you were a grad student yourself, or a part time adjunct or something else peripheral like that, or if you were the real deal.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops and Sweets View Post
There's no denying that UTSA will never become the next UT. There again, I doubt the academic mission for UTSA is to be UT - I gather that it's to produce and teach at a level commensurate with Tier One academic Instutions.

The best model for UTSA is to be similar to UC-Irvine. UC-Irvine is an outstanding school that's produced Nobel Laureates, been amongst the leaders in academic journal output, and has carved out its niche in being the leaders in degrees not typically valued at other big named schools - i.e. UCLA, UC BERKELEY, etc. But how many Texans have heard of UC Irvine and it's quirky mascot - the Ant Eater? I bet not many. And that's ok, because they produce quality graduates, quality professors and get excellent rankings without the name recognition of other California universities.
This is a very good point, P and S--and one which not too many folks are aware of. Most people (myself included) could not point to Irvine on a map, but I know of them through their specialization in a certain aspect of my discipline. They've hired some real hot shots (including a senior prof from Rice, actually), and are making a big splash in a lot of ways. Of course, with the decline in the UC system, we'll see how long that lasts!

Wisely, many UTSA departments have chosen to specialize their doctoral programs. In my own, we are really making a name for ourselves, and it's great to see the recognition we get in terms of applicants with excellent GRE scores, degrees from Ivy League institutions, and stated interests in a number of competing programs (some of the best in the world, believe it or not). It's even better to see that some of our applicants are choosing us over some of the more established and "prestigious" departments out there.

It's certainly an interesting time to be at UTSA.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
Good luck on tenure! It's a rough haul but you can do it!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
I really hope UTSA does improve it's academic prestige. I went to a Tier 1 school for my undergrad, and if I go back to school for a Masters the only reason I would go to UTSA in it's current state is if I couldn't get in to UT-Austin. The degree I'd be after is noticeably more prestigious there.

In fact if I can't get into UT-Austin the money might be better spent on a house than to do the same degree at UTSA. Not sure though, I've just not heard the best things from the people I know that have gone there that have since been accepted to better schools.

I don't really trust the opinion of those that have only gone to UTSA...they don't have any other college-level academic experience to compare it to. Honestly the only opinion that really matters to me are from those that would or would not hire me for the work I want afterwards.

Last edited by Backliteyes; 04-19-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Honestly the only opinion that really matters to me are from those that would or would not hire me for the work I want afterwards.
You may not like the answer you get if you ask the question that way. There was someone in the forum last year who said that his company wouldn't even bother to interview applicants with degrees from any of the San Antonio universities. Really stirred up a hornet's nest.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You may not like the answer you get if you ask the question that way. There was someone in the forum last year who said that his company wouldn't even bother to interview applicants with degrees from any of the San Antonio universities. Really stirred up a hornet's nest.
one should question the longevity and decision making of any company that is located in a city where they feel they need to look outside of the city for a pool of college applicants

one would question why they stay located there and the cost of them having to recruit from out of town exclusively VS trying to work with or invest in the universities right in the same city

Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
one should question the longevity and decision making of any company that is located in a city where they feel they need to look outside of the city for a pool of college applicants

one would question why they stay located there and the cost of them having to recruit from out of town exclusively VS trying to work with or invest in the universities right in the same city
The company wasn't located in San Antonio. It was a large employer in another part of Texas, IIRC.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Well I'm betting he's the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure he is, especially since I'd prefer to stay in Texas whether I return to school or not (though not necessarily in SA).

If for any reason it wouldn't be worth the time and money I'd much rather find that out beforehand. It would be so much worse to go back to school only to graduate and only be able to do more or less what I'm doing now. Which is one reason I'd only go to the best school I can get into, and I'm not convinced that UTSA is cutting the mustard yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio