U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM

177 posts, read 419,792 times

Advertisements

I browsed a couple of old threads but things change, so I wanted to start one of my own.

I'm currently in Detroit. I love this city, but I want to start a PROFITABLE photography business on the side, and there just isn't a good market for customers here with the horrible economy. One of the things I specialize in is retro pinup looks, and shooting bands -- rockabilly, psychobilly and that whole retro car culture thing. I asked one of my friends in a band about the best cities for that besides SoCal (WAY too expensive) and two of the four cities he mentioned were San Antonio and Denver. I should also add my "day" job is an RN, so there are plenty of job opportunities in general, but I only am interested in home health, hospice or possibly office type jobs. I do NOT do hospitals any more. Period. These are things I am sort of researching on my own, but wanted to get some general input on comparing the two cities.

Concerns I have about San Antonio are the heat and humidity. Now, I spent about 13 years in Phoenix, which gets hot as the devil, but tends to be fairly dry (although that is changing with man made lakes and a gazillion swimming pools.) So if anyone could speak to a comparison of the sweltering heat of Phoenix vs SA, that would help a lot. I'm also concerned about a conservative climate and how strong of a sort of counterculture community they have. I love punk and indie bands as well, and while Austin is close by, how available is that kind of thing besides SXSW?

I do like outdoorsy activities like hiking and cool summers, and have always wanted to learn to snow ski and go mountain biking. But SA would be a dirt cheap move with the apartment move in specials to get started and some pretty cheap industrial space for a studio. There are some good housing and commercial space deals around Denver, but they are a little harder to find.

I also like old architecture and wasn't sure how much is in either city. I have a feeling SA would have a southwestern familiarity to it similar to Phoenix. Which is a mixed blessing for a girl who loves the eras of the 20s-50s.

I like the things I hear about Austin, but not sure how much more expensive it is than SA. Or how much cooler in summer? HOw is the economy as far as building a small business in both cities?

I know that's a lot, but any tips anyone can give me would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
San Antonio is a relatively conservative community, but it also "lives and let lives". Austin and Denver are much more liberal, and in a way that they have decided they can pretty much tell you how to live your life, IMO. I don't care WHAT you want to do as long as it doesn't impede my exercise of what I want to do.
SA will be hotter than Denver, without a doubt - but you also won't have snow to shovel, or the horrendous utility bills that go along with that. Austin is going to be essentially the same as SA - maybe a couple of degrees cooler, but their traffic can become a 4-star nightmare. Austin is still contracting from the economic slowdown, but I'm seeing early signs of some recovery. From a medical employment standpoint, I'd have to say that there'd likely be more opportunity in SA, simply because of the military bases around here that keep demand for personnel higher.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM

How well do you think a boudoir/glamour and pinup photographer would do there if they are good? With Denver being more of an outdoorsy community, I have wondered if that market would be strong there. I know there is a well known photographer for that in Austin, but hoping the market is big enough there that there is room for more.

Are high school senior photos a big thing? That's another niche market I had thought of focusing on.

What is the general economic climate like for starting a small business?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,179,034 times
Just based on a few things you said, I think Denver will be your best bet. Next would be Austin. Personally, I love Austin. Traffic does suck though, but if you're already in the city center, living and working, traffic will not affect you much.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just based on a few things you said, I think Denver will be your best bet. Next would be Austin. Personally, I love Austin. Traffic does suck though, but if you're already in the city center, living and working, traffic will not affect you much.
What specific areas do you think Denver would be better I am worried that the cost of living will limit my ability to find studio space or be able to reduce my work hours at the day job to pursue the studio. It's a tough balance to find -- there are TONS of amazing cheap studio spaces here in Detroit...but no customers!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM

I should probably also mention I shoot a lot of bands and love the underground/indie music scene, but not sure how much of that there is in either city for GOOD music. Crappy garage bands are a dime a dozen in any city.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,619 times
lived in phoenix and colorado as well, and think you may have better luck in Denver. More expensive, yes, but the music scene is more established there and you may have a better pool of clients for your business. Living is cheap here, but not sure if those type of photos will have an overwhelming appeal here. We are one of the largest and unhealthiest cities in the country you know...not quite fitting for a pinup pic. And most do not have disposable income here. This is a relatively poor city.

weather wise -- when you walk out the door here, you don't necessarily feel like you are walking into a furnance, like Phoenix does when it's 115 degrees. But, the summers here are pretty oppressive. You will be stuck in doors most of the time from June to August. This is not the prettiest city either. If you've never been here, definitely visit before making a move. Colorado is a great place to live and you can not beat the skiing!! Fabulous.

ps -- austin is a great city, but much smaller. Definitely has that indie/ punk vibe

Last edited by stoneoak; 04-10-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,193 times
Denver. So near and dear to me, yet so far away... most beautiful area in the U.S.

Denver has a music scene. San Antonio has no scene. I have scouted bands in this city for many years. No offense to anyone making music in this city.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Denver. So near and dear to me, yet so far away... most beautiful area in the U.S.

Denver has a music scene. San Antonio has no scene. I have scouted bands in this city for many years. No offense to anyone making music in this city.

I understand San Antonio still has a fairly good psychobilly scene, although since the Hairball 8 label that was based there has sort of gone by the wayside I would guess it has faded somewhat. But when asking which was a friendlier scene, I have to say my sources felt Denver was, hands down. Which sort of surprised me, as in general, people seem to feel San Antonio residents are more friendly over all.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
lived in phoenix and colorado as well, and think you may have better luck in Denver. More expensive, yes, but the music scene is more established there and you may have a better pool of clients for your business. Living is cheap here, but not sure if those type of photos will have an overwhelming appeal here. We are one of the largest and unhealthiest cities in the country you know...not quite fitting for a pinup pic. And most do not have disposable income here. This is a relatively poor city.

weather wise -- when you walk out the door here, you don't necessarily feel like you are walking into a furnance, like Phoenix does when it's 115 degrees. But, the summers here are pretty oppressive. You will be stuck in doors most of the time from June to August. This is not the prettiest city either. If you've never been here, definitely visit before making a move. Colorado is a great place to live and you can not beat the skiing!! Fabulous.

ps -- austin is a great city, but much smaller. Definitely has that indie/ punk vibe
Thanks for the heat comparison from someone who has lived in Phoenix as well...that helps. At this moment (and it could change at any time) I am leaning toward Denver. But there are so many factors I'm still considering. I'm hoping to get a travel/temp nursing job in Colorado to check it out further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio