U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

864 posts, read 1,063,253 times

Advertisements

The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills - The Finest in Cheeses, Gourmet Food Items, Gift Baskets and www.igourmet.com are 2 great sources for the goods btw.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

21,379 posts, read 23,055,422 times
Some info here:
Fork & Bottle: Our Master Cheese List
http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/pd...ring-Guide.pdf
Pairing Cheese With Beer And Wine - Best Pairings
Hope it helps

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM

871 posts, read 1,883,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_rushfan View Post
I wouldn't be too harsh on H-E-B in regards to the pain meds...everyone is feeling it as well (Target, etc.). In Tylenol's case...there was a smell eminating from the pills / packaging that they thought was coming from chemically treated trees. Tylenol still hasn't quite figured it out what's going on though so it may go on for a little while longer.

Never tried H-E-B Brand Acetaminophen until now and found that it actually works as well, if not better than Tylenol.
I tried HEB's equivelent to Claritin. It DID NOT work. Waste of good money, not to mention not being able to breathe!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM

871 posts, read 1,883,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I don/t understand why everyone thinks they are doing away with the name brands??? Walking into the Blanco and 1604 HEB and I have never had a problem finding anything unless it is a coupon for a new item that they have yet to put out.
I thought the same thing until I noticed that certain brands are moved to below eye level and the HEB/HCF brand is right there in front of you. In fact, it seems that every eye level shelf that I see has HEB or HCF or Central Market brand items. The other brands are either in small quantities or moved to a different location.

Example: at the Alon store, I was looking for tartar sauce. I looked with the other sauces - found plenty of coctail sauce, but only Central Market tartar sauce. That's not what I wanted. The other tartar sauces were further up on the other side of the isle with some other things.

Also, they had about two feet of shelf space for HCF brand (i.e. green beans) and only one foot for the name brands (i.e. Green Giant.)

Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 4,511,527 times
I do buy the HEB brand in many, but not all, cases...

YES:
Bread
Buns
Ketchup
Mustard
crackers
basic meds like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen
CM natural crunchy peanut butter (yummy!)
some ice creams

NO:
Salad dressings
deli meats (pre-sliced)
hot dogs
canned soups
frozen entrees/pizzas
toothbrushes
tomato paste (was made in china)
pickles (made in India)

Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,820,479 times
they really had tomato paste made in china? I don't use tomato paste, but will keep an eye out for any other food from there. I try not to buy the merchandise from that disgusting place (impossible, but I try), but I draw the line at food and would never knowingly buy any made in china. HCF pickles are noticeably nastier than any other brand and I actually prefer the hamburger slices from wally world of all places. It's odd that anything from there would taste good, but they have the best in that particular category.

As far as cheese, havarti is the only name you need to know
that's easily the crack of cheese

Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM

2,427 posts, read 4,511,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
they really had tomato paste made in china?
It was the kind in small pouches, but not the canned kind. I find it odd that they would source one type of packaging from China, but not others.

I welcome the new food labeling laws!

Last edited by pobre; 04-12-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM

604 posts, read 984,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
For years I see a good brands disappear, replaced by Hill Country or HEB brands. Some are acceptable, but many are just much worse. Every time I find a brand/product I really like, I see it gone and replaced by stuff that wannaby the same but is not.
Many ready to eat meat products from Tyson are replaces by HEB brand. Sorry, I don't think the quality/selection matches. Same with Dannon fruit dairy drink versus HEB brand which is thin, not creamy. The imported Swiss/Finland cut cheese selection is shrinking and slowly replaced by HEB American cheese Swiss "style". The Italian ham/salami cold cuts section is getting smaller.... I could go on and on with the list.
I am not excited to see that the grocery shelf space is given away for this cheap, China made pots, pans, garden stuff and other junk. I don't intend to buy it anyway.
Pretty soon most of the HEB stores will look and match the quality of products with stores like LaFiesta ...
BTW...the Nacogdoches/Basse HEB used to have a decent cheese selection there. I didn't visited it lately, so I am not sure if they still have it.
I couldnt agree more! I feel like HEB is trying to force their product on the consumer by eliminating the competition. I want to have a choice!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM

984 posts, read 1,015,016 times
I have to admit that the CM brand instant oatmeal isn't bad. HEB ditched (at least where I am) the Quaker Brand instant plain oatmeal and only carries the sugary artificial flavors. So I tried the CM version - not bad. However, I agree (as I said before) that the trend to store brands is not attractive. I note some of the meat products (for example, Hillshire sausages) has been cut.

If they get rid of Boar's Head (which they added awhile ago) for all HEB cold cuts - this will mean WAR!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM

604 posts, read 984,338 times
Oh I am with you on the Boars Head- I will follow wherever it goes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio