Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to watch the fluctuation of HEB's upscale/downscale view of their stores.

The DeZavala and I-10 store had expanded its cheese selection to one that was a touch respectable. But the other day - it's gone. One whole display cooler was removed and the others filled with HEB store brands of mundane, boring crap. I am a cheese snob.

Seems it wa snot selling, so I understand the problem. This happened at the HEB Marketplace on Bandera and 410 cheese years, ago. Decent selection which vanished. I asked a clerk there, then, who said - Cheese, why we have swiss and American.

HEB supposedly has abandoned new central markets for the Plus stores. But, in my mind they have divided personalties. Some up scale stuff - international foods and cheese and then bikes, tires, crappy furniture. Who goes for gourmet cheese and then a put it together yourself bookcase? Then, the gourmet stuff goes away.

It's hard to be WalMart and Zabar's at the same time.

There is also the giant increase in HEB brands. Well, one thing I like about the newer stores is selection but if it's all HEB brands from some lowball factory in Tushyville or China - might as well go to WalMart. Rather buy a TV there than HEB. Also, the big video store make no sense when DVDs are going bye-bye to down loads or red box.

They would be better off being a quality supermarket and ditch the bikes. Have a Central Market in Alamo Heights complemented by one in the NW 1604 region and forget the DID Plus stores full of crap non grocery products and increasing HEB brands.

Wait till the Alon store just becomes filled with HEB brands of everything. HEB matzoh and gelfite fish -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
It's funny Alon has many cheeses and think one day the HEB brand will be the only choice, I know the HEB at basse and broadway expanded its cheese display also.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Cheese is a highly perishable commodity and labor-intensive to cut and package. If it's not selling enough to cover the costs of making it available, it makes sense that an HEB store would stop offering anything but the packaged variety.

IMO, it's being offered in areas where the company needs to make its stores stand out from WalMart Supercenters and Super Targets. They're not going to beat those stores on price, so they'll have to do it by offering items you can't get at the competition.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Cheese is a highly perishable commodity and labor-intensive to cut and package. If it's not selling enough to cover the costs of making it available, it makes sense that an HEB store would stop offering anything but the packaged variety.

IMO, it's being offered in areas where the company needs to make its stores stand out from WalMart Supercenters and Super Targets. They're not going to beat those stores on price, so they'll have to do it by offering items you can't get at the competition.
Exactly. The Blanco @ 1604 HEB has a large cheese selection. You actually see people buying at that location as well.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
sometimes it is about educating the buyer to what they SHOULD want
are you seeing any of that

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
sometimes it is about educating the buyer to what they SHOULD want
are you seeing any of that
Lots of free samples are available. More so at Alon than the Blanco/1604 store. I've made several decisions to purchase based on the samples.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
Blanco and 1604 has cut back a touch on selection, I noticed - if you look at the more exotics.

I wonder if the Plus stores non-food or typical grocery items are worth the floor space.

I would much prefer a North Side Central Market. Even the Alamo Height CM has changed. Their take out section dropped items for lots of prepared salads (which aren't that hot).

Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Blanco/1604 has also ditched their furniture in order to accomodate...drumroll please... CLOTHING

Seriously- please give me well stocked shelves (even on a Sunday), wide and clean aisles, and ample selection, and stick to typicla grocery store stuff!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
This is exactly right. Artisan cheese is very expensive and highly perishable. A bad combination for profitability. And HEB doesn't make decisions that lead to fewer profits.

Which is why you don't see a Central Market in the burbs. If they could make money having a CM 'out there', you can bet they'd open one. Proximity to CM (which is really one of the best grocery stores anywhere) is a really great thing about living near downtown.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Speaking of cheese at HEB, does anyone know which stores might still carry Gruyere? I can't find it at my local store and I have been saving a bottle of wine for some. Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio