Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,664 times

Advertisements

Jaded, my parents live near Leon Valley. He used to work at the University of Texas Health Science Center near there. There is several malls in the area, Westlakes Mall, Ingram Mall etc. I love going to Six Flags Fiesta in the northwest area in the summer! I am not going get into politics because honestly I could care less but my parents are democrats and have many democrat and republican friends there and it doesn't seem to be an issue with any of them what they are but maybe that is just us. I always say live and let live. Anyway, I wish you well on you move Jaded. I personally think you'll love San Antonio. You might rent for a year and just give it a try and if you don't like it, move somewhere else. I can't tell you to move to Austin. It is a nice city but everybody and their dog lives there and traffic is the worst in anyplace I have been including LA, ok, not LA, but REAL close, you get the picture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM
Jaded, my parents live near Leon Valley. He used to work at the University of Texas Health Science Center near there. There is several malls in the area, Westlakes Mall, Ingram Mall etc. I love going to Six Flags Fiesta in the northwest area in the summer! I am not going get into politics because honestly I could care less but my parents are democrats and have many democrat and republican friends there and it doesn't seem to be an issue with any of them what they are but maybe that is just us. I always say live and let live. Anyway, I wish you well on you move Jaded. I personally think you'll love San Antonio. You might rent for a year and just give it a try and if you don't like it, move somewhere else. I can't tell you to move to Austin. It is a nice city but everybody and their dog lives there and traffic is the worst in anyplace I have been including LA, ok, not LA, but REAL close, you get the picture!
Thanks I LUVNM.

I'm not too political myself as we all have to live on this Earth...it just helps to know whether or not differences are accepted when considering a new place to live. From what I've read on other posts, including this one about San Antonio, I shouldn't have a problem just being me - as such, I will continue to respect others for just being themselves and feel good about San Antonio being a place where this mind set is welcomed!

Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,664 times
I agree Jaded. You are welcome. Take care!

Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded
I would like to hear your definition of progressive however. If you mean that there is not a Starbucks, McDonald's or PF Changs in every city, then I think I'll be fine.
I don't even know if knew what he meant by "progressive."

It sure isn't about Starbucks or McDonalds, there's virtually one at every corner. And SA has two P.F. Changs.

Maybe he meant the car insurance... but SA has that as well.

Ok, enough joking.

You'll love San Antonio.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Jaded-

Just a couple of quick things:

One is that although people in San Antonio do seem to elect Democrats locally, generally they support the Republicans nationally. For example, in the 2004 election Bexar County (San Antonio’s county) voted 55% for Bush. Compare this to San Diego which was 53% and San Francisco which was 15%. So, I think you will find San Antonio slightly more conservative than San Diego in that sense. I used to live and work in Washington D.C. and trust me, San Antonio is a pretty safe Republican area.
You can find the data here if you’re interested: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/

Second, when I used the term progressive, I meant the policies of the city in a whole range of subjects that are considered to be “liberal.” By this I mean in terms of tighter environmental regulations, dense zoning restrictions, “smart growth” regulations, granting city recognition of homosexual relationships, promotion of public transportation, etc. I have a feeling your definition of progressive is different because by most standards, San Francisco is probably one of the most progressive cities in the country. Anyway, I hope you get what I was talking about.

Finally, I hope I didn’t turn you away from San Antonio. It’s a nice place and I spent about 18 years of my life there. It has a very unique culture and the Riverwalk downtown is great. I just wanted to point out a few things about the city that some people don’t like. Everyplace has its positives and negatives. I think it is only fair to point to both, especially when many on here seem to only emphasize the positive.

Anyway, good luck! If you need any further information or advice, feel free to PM me.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Yes, there are traffic issues in the Austin area, but they're in no way comparable to LA or even Dallas and Houston for that matter! I'd be the first to admit that Austin needs improvement when it comes to traffic management but it's ludicrous to make that comparison.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM

142 posts, read 339,019 times
Default Great Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Oh and NO earthquakes! I love that!
No earthquakes; no forest fires; no mudslides; no predatory real estate pricing; LOTS of affordable neighborhoods to live in; a great, if traditional zoo; the Riverwalk if you want to show your friends how you turn a drainage way into one of the greatest pieces of urban design in the country. A great and colorful history that we celebrate every day. Life is easy and informal; pretense is not a civic virtue here, although we have our share of McMansions. The three billionaires I personally know, shop with their wives at a local grocery store and put their pants on one leg at a time. Good luck. San Antonio is a great spot.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 221,313 times
Default Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
San Antonio isn't that conservative if at all.

Maybe San Antonio historically but not now.

Heck, our current Mayor Phil Hardberger, who is probably one of the most popular in SA history atleast tied with Henry Cisneros, is a Democratic and is anything but "conservative.
City elections are non-partisan, if I'm correct. San Antonio is mostly Demo, but may have reduced in numbers over the years. However, Republican, or Democrat San Antonio by its definition is conservative, strong Catholic/Christian presence i.e. pro-life, institution of Marriage between a man & woman. The difference in SA is we don't judge each other.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM

217 posts, read 670,838 times
Jaded,

I'm a transplant to SA from Chicago who has also spent years in California. In my opinion, everything that Irwin wrote is absolutely true. I've found San Antonio to be exceptionally conservative (and I have some conservative tendencies!!). For some reason, before I moved here, I refused to reflect on the fact that SA is in the Bible belt, and that it is in the South. Of course this seems obvious now, but somehow until you live it, it does not sink in. Make NO mistake about where you are moving...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I agree with Robert and Irwin. Look before you leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio