U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,753 times

Advertisements

So there are two guys robbing people and someone decides to approach them and gets hurt. Yes, the robbers are bad people, but the person who aproached them would be questioned for common sense.

Same thing applies here, what she did was rash, jumping onto a moving vehicle? Definitely Darwin Award territory.

Sometimes the people who have problems with punks have more issues than the punks themselves. Playing the hero rarely works out, leave it to the police. I feel bad for the family members of all involved including the criminal's family, whatever they say they are still going to lose their son.

Senseless all around and no one should have died over a theft. The only winners will be those wish to see the blood of the criminal. Everyone else loses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,249,891 times
I wouldn't compare this incident to drunk drivers. Drunk drivers know their ability to drive will be impaired. This man was robbing a lady, he drove off, and the lady decided to jump onto the car. Here, this guy had absolutely no intention of harming the lady and she decided to do something stupid. He was wrong for robbing her, but that lady didn't exercise common sense and she ended up paying for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,753 times
You also have to wonder if she has a famiy, friends, or coworkers who like to feel better by putting down those of lower socio-economic classes or even minorities themselves. The type who like to call other people scum, punks, or even idiots.

Who knows just hypothesizing but it would not be fat fetched to think she saw this guy and thought she could take him and it did not turn out like planned. In either case the mentality seems very common, if this was her mentality I cannot know for sure, but such a mentality could have easily contributed.

The criminal will still be held legally liable though it would seem a shame if this was also about attitudes.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
Oh, here we go again.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
A reasonable person wouldn't be involved in stealing in the first place. Had he simply stopped the truck, she'd still be alive. The root cause of the problem is the thief NOT his victim!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM

I understand that but it's still not an excuse for not exercising common sense. Separate from who's ultimately at fault or at the root of the problem, you still need to make the best decisions for yourself. If I see a bank is being robbed, I'm not going to walk in. When I see a drunk driver swerving on the road, I stay away from him/her. If I get hurt, they are still at fault for causing the situation, but at the same time it would be stupid of me to not avoid getting hurt if I could.

From a legal (not moral) standpoint, prosecution would have to prove he intended to kill the woman for a murder charge or that he acted in a reckless manner for a manslaughter charge which could be argued against because she jumped onto the car. The one thing prosecution has on their end though is the fact he didn't stop.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM

179 posts, read 409,416 times
Why stop at blaming the victim of being negligent. We all should have known what was to happen prior to it happening. We all know what decision we would have made knowing the outcome. Maybethere are more parties who are responsible. Who built the car? Was there no gear to engage to allow a victim of a robbery to safely hang on to a stolen car? The car company should have planned ahead, known what was sensible, and governed the motor to only allow a speed safe enough for external riders. The poor murder was left to manuver the vehicle by himself knowing he had his victim hanging on. No help was employeed by the car or the car company. Shame on you car company. How about the designer's of the highway. The thief/unsuspecting murderer was trying to enter the highway. Was it too convienent of a highway entrance? Was he allowed to get up to speed prior to entering the highway? Shame on the engineers for allowing such recklessness when designing a road they knew victims may possibly be clinging on to thier stolen car as it is driven off. How about the gas station? The witnesses? I believe they are all to blame. Yeah it was a split second decision, but if we expect the victim to make the choice we can make half a year later, couldnt the onlookers maybe stopped the victim from trying to protect her property. I have been by the gas station, and have yet to see a sign that says not to hang on your vehicle in case of a robbery. I believe this is blaten disregard for public safety. Yeah the robber/murderer should not have to carry this burden all by himself. Poor murderer!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Some people don't know how to separate emotion from law. The justice system requires objectivity.

Nobody is saying the man shouldn't be held accountable for her death, I just wouldn't personally choose to jump on a moving truck. We come across all kinds of dangers in life and we're supposed to have a natural instinct to preserve our life. Nice exaggeration.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM

179 posts, read 409,416 times
I agree, we do have the natural instinct of self preservation. But most of us also have things in this world which we care for more than ourselves. I would, without hesitation endanger my life and even knowingly throw away my life to save my children's life. So how could I be so quick to judge what another person values as much as I value my children. Maybe something as silly as a flag or an ideal or an article that cannot be replaced. Who knows? Again I am exaggerating. But honestly, how can one say that risking your life with someone who is taking from you is contrary to common sense. Does anyone know what was exactly was being taken and the value of the stolen goods to the victim?

As far as how to prove he meant to kill her. I am hoping there is some provision of the law which sees a motor vehicle as a deadly weapon. If he was swerving to throw her off I see know difference than aiming a gun and pulling the trigger. He may not have intended for the robbery to go that far, but it did, and IMHO he is completely and solely responsible for any other actions which occur due to his initial pre-meditated crime. DISCLAIMER I am no lawyer nor am I a judge.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
I am no lawyer nor am I a judge.
But, hopefully you, or people who think like you, are on the jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio