U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, sorry about my rant,
is that I belong to a different "nerd gang" that got beef with NPR
That's okay. I'm not a huge fan of NPR myself, and hey, I'm kind of nerdy too...so there ya go, we're practically seperated at birth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,956,869 times
NPR gets slammed for having a liberal bias... which I admit sometimes shows through the programming, but it is 10 times better than the alternative, which is why i'm loyal to it.

Mom2Feebs, I totally get you, and I totally understand that they need the money. But can you understand how empty I feel?!?!?!?! LOL!!! I am on an agricultural project in the caribbean, and when im in the field or in the stables by myself during the day prepping for the classes, they're what I listen to. NPR and kstx are the only educated 'conversations' i get to listen to.

It looks like it's almost over and I can finally listen in peace.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
My problem with public radio is not that it's too political, but that I find it to be horribly dull listening. I like current events and I know more 12-letter words than the average person, but I can't stand to listen to it long enough to hear whether anyone's taking a side!

The begging would get old, too. I dread seeing that on the little bit of public television I watch.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times
I used to donate $365/year, recognized its liberal bent but wanted to see the "other side's ideas".

That is until Diane Ream[several years ago] interviewed a representative with the Second Amendment Sisters who were holding a rally in Washington, DC.

I have never seen any so assailed as Diane did to this woman. I cancelled immediately. I do no expect her agreement, but I expect a civil platform to be interviewed.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM

151 posts, read 260,701 times
2 weeks (one in spring and one in fall) out of the 52 in a year isn't enough to make me stop listening. Yes, it can get a bit annoying but you just have to tune out for the 5 or so minutes at a time while they're talking and then go right back to the program. It beats the hell out of every other single radio station we have in this city. Oh, and I couldn't be more thankful that 106.7 has changed formats. Any station that plays the Michael Savage radio show should die a slooooow painful death.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
NPR gets slammed for having a liberal bias... which I admit sometimes shows through the programming, but it is 10 times better than the alternative, which is why i'm loyal to it..

The only thing I care about is that the radio station talk about local issues instead of things that are happening 1000s of miles away.

While driving on the highway, I was listening to Diane Rehm today, just for the hell of it. Surprise, they were about the exact same thing that everybody else in the “Newsterntainment” media is talking about.
The whole time talking about “What might happen if…” or “Some people say/think…”

I changed the station to KSAT 550AM,
Surprise, he’s talking about something that the “Newstertainment” media is not talking about.
He was talking about … “the future of newspapers such as the San Antonio Express” and what are they going to do to make a profit on their webpages and had people calling in to give their opinion about it.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 22,916 times
Well, I broke down and actually did donate to TPR today during Science Friday. I agree that there is often a liberal bias to some of their shows. But the station does covers local issues better than alot of other local news outlet, and the donation goes to support the national programming that I really enjoy, and can't get from any other source. And thankfully the pledge drive should be ending today.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Maybe I've been missing it,
but can you tell me what local news coverage they do
because I don't remember them ever talking about any local issues unlike 550AM that has talked about the 281 issue and the funding of the missions.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 AM

758 posts, read 1,956,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
My problem with public radio is not that it's too political, but that I find it to be horribly dull listening. I like current events and I know more 12-letter words than the average person, but I can't stand to listen to it long enough to hear whether anyone's taking a side!

The begging would get old, too. I dread seeing that on the little bit of public television I watch.
Well, that's precisely why NPR has it's funding model the way it is. Most Americans have short attention spans, and NPR isn't for them. NPR went public, with advertising and the like, it would cease to be the amazing station that it is. It would have political commentaries, and the like.

And WilGar,... I feel you. Diane Rehm* attacks conservative commentators tremendously and has a ball with the liberal ones. She recently had Michael Moore on, and was so nice and non-confrontational with him,. u would think she was interviewing the Pope. However, she still has them on the show and has a discussion with them. Beats the heck out of the Rush Limbaugh show. And Rehm doesn't always have political guests, she has very valuable authors, actors, professors, etc.

Neil Conan, however, is one of the best journalists I've ever come across. He gets little recognition, but he is very fair to both sides. His audience is mostly liberal, and when one of the callers spew out some liberal fictitious tirade, Neil Conan sets them strait.

Dedalus, good job for donating! I have to admit, science friday is one of my favorite shows. I recognize the pledge drive is necessary, but I was still going nuts!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM

6,139 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Here's the thing guys....it's "public" which means it's funded by "you" and it needs "you" to continue to do what it does. I'm not sure on its specific status but somewhere buried in there it's probably somewhat non-profit. And just like any non-profit it's going to need to raise some funds someway. With it being radio it reaches their target audience on the radio. So suck it up and listen to their crap every quarter. Other non-profits have galas, auctions, 5ks, etc. This is what works for radio (KLOVE is in the mist of their pledge week this week as well).

Yes, it sucks if you donate out of the goodness of your heart or you think it's the right thing. But, with the way the economy is it's going to be more annoying than usual, more pushy and more and more of this that and the other. It is what it is. And if you can't stand it, don't listen for a week.

Oh, and i rarely listen to NPR, but it just irks me when people get upset about fundraising. For public entities to survive they need funds. And how do they do that? Through fundraising!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio